If men4rentnow.com finally dead?

funvolta
This topic is 2243 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the apocalypse upon us?

I'm not convinced this is the apocalypse. Not many members would disagree that Craigslist and Backpage were bad actors and both sites knew it. If they allowed out-and-out thieves and scammers to advertise and proceeded to cloak themselves in the shroud of "we are not responsible for content" it is not a stretch that they turned a blind eye to minors and traffickers. Additionally, the complaints about M4RN have been voiced on this forum for years and years. More than one member has wished they would be shut down. Wish granted.

Neither of the laws have my support because existing laws would accomplish what these set out to do and they paint with an extremely broad brush. However, had Backpage and Craigslist done a better job of policing their advertisers they might have avoided this.

I'm not convinced this is the apocalypse. Not many members would disagree that Craigslist and Backpage were bad actors and both sites knew it. If they allowed out-and-out thieves and scammers to advertise and proceeded to cloak themselves in the shroud of "we are not responsible for content" it is not a stretch that they turned a blind eye to minors and traffickers. Additionally, the complaints about M4RN have been voiced on this forum for years and years. More than one member has wished they would be shut down. Wish granted.

Neither of the laws have my support because existing laws would accomplish what these set out to do and they paint with an extremely broad brush. However, had Backpage and Craigslist done a better job of policing their advertisers they might have avoided this.

Do you feel minor related content and traffickers are really the priority target here?

Well put @ArVaGuy

Perhaps, or perhaps not. It’s probably wise to start planning for certain contingencies and find new marketing channels if RM or other sites go dark. Now is not the time to go “all wobbly” but it would be prudent to take a deliberative approach and be proactive.

What if we go dark?

Thank you! Craigslist and Backpage bad, bad, bad choices... It was just like asking to get mugged yet so manyhere where obsessed with the “diamond in the rough” after hours searching with flakes

Do you feel minor related content and traffickers are really the priority target here?

Well put @ArVaGuy

Yes, I think minors and female sex workers who lawmakers think are all being trafficked and exploited are really the priority. I do not think they care about male sex workers who serve women or gay men. I also do not think they care whether I look at dick pics or my straight brother looks at tit pics. Backpage and Craigslist brought this on themselves. Had they cooperated with families of sex trafficking victims we would not be having this discussion.

Before citing Rentboy, I believe it is a different, albeit equally stupid, case. The owner attracted attention by submitting a suspicious visa application for a non-citizen employee and then sealed his fate when further investigation revealed he called himself a "cyberpimp." The conventional wisdom is that pimps exploit the people who work for them by forcing them into involuntary sex work and keeping the money. While I disagreed with the case and supported the legal defense fund, one cannot not call oneself "cyberpimp" and then try to claim they are not doing anything illegal. That ranks up there with specifying "bomb-making terrorist" as one's occupation and questioning why the FBI shows up at one's front door.

As this article in Wired states, Google and Facebook were invited to testify when the bill was being debated. They declined to participate. Instead, they relied on a trade association.

Let's hope the various organizations who oppose the bill take steps to fight or amend the law. Protests will not work on this one. It will take a well-funded legal campaign. Time to put our money where our mouths are. Literally.