Chicken And Waffles

Avalon
This topic is 2025 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I saw the the title to this thread, I said to myself, “How interesting for this to come up now. Masterchef Junior just had a chicken and waffle on the last episode that I saw.”

I have to admit to feeling very much the same as you, @Avalon although I’ve ordered it a few times-more for the chicken than the waffle. Now in the interests of full disclosure, I’m one of those odd ducks (I’ll bet none of you would ever have guessed this from my posts here over the years. :p) who doesn’t usually like breakfast foods for my evening meal. I’m not as against it as I used to be. Plus I can eat a breakfast burrito at just about anytime of the day, and I love the Tex-Mex dish of machaca (pot roast beef with scrambled eggs, mixed with fried tortilla chips, onions-but hold the cheese, sour cream, and jalapeños. I don’t like them. ) But traditionally I much prefer dinner food for breakfast.

I grew up in Texas, and I have had ancestors in Texas since at least the Civil War if not before. my mother never fixed this for me growing up. I don’t know if this was a staple in other Texas families, or whether it was imported from the Deep South. We were mainly ‘city folk’ though. But It seems to me it started showing up on menus about 10 years ago. While some families may have always served it, I almost get the feeling it became popular with the rising popularity of Southern diner cooking over the past 10 to 15 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone said, “Let’s combine these two southern favorites and see how they taste.”

I think the dish itself probably belongs in the category of Americans liking savory and sweet things mixed together-such as the syrup mixing with sausage when when you are having pancakes or waffles. While not authoritative, it seems to me I’ve read several human interest pieces by Bristish expats-who’ve said they were always interested in experiencing American food. They tried the syrup/savory combination and didn’t like it at all.

Gman

PS

Sorry @MikeBiDude -I hadn’t seen your post when I expounded on what I thought might be the possible origination of the dish.

Gman

I'm so glad I did not read all of that --

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not sure where you live, @Kenny. But in my neck of the woods in Texas, one of the places I can usually count on finding machaca is at IHOP

I live mostly in LA, so it’s pretty much on lots of Mexican menus around town...except at my very favorite place, Mercado. But they have something for brunch that won’t likely be found anywhere, including IHOP, because they made it up: Rompope French toast.

Rompope is not something I like to drink, but man it makes a heckuva French toast batter. And who can argue with chile-infused agave syrup?

PS-I just wanted to mention that I love our food threads. But it made me think. I probably should have picked up on this earlier. But things have been a bit stressful lately. @jjkrkwood usually has great food thread contributions. Wondering what he might say to this thread, I realized I might not have seen a post from him for a while. On checking I see he hasn’t posted in close to a month. I hope he’s ok since we know he had posted about his own health issues.

Does anyone know anything?

Gman

He’s ok...on one of his occasional hiatus from this site. He’s posting elsewhere.

PS-I just wanted to mention that I love our food threads. But it made me think. I probably should have picked up on this earlier. But things have been a bit stressful lately. @jjkrkwood usually has great food thread contributions. Wondering what he might say to this thread, I realized I might not have seen a post from him for a while. On checking I see he hasn’t posted in close to a month. I hope he’s ok since we know he had posted about his own health issues.

Does anyone know anything?

Gman

He’s ok...on one of his occasional hiatus from this site. He’s posting elsewhere.

Thank you. Once I realized he hadn’t been around for a while, and especially with him having had some heart problems lately, I was concerned.

Gman

When I saw the the title to this thread, I said to myself, “How interesting for this to come up now. Masterchef Junior just had a chicken and waffle on the last episode that I saw.”

I have to admit to feeling very much the same as you, @Avalon although I’ve ordered it a few times-more for the chicken than the waffle. Now in the interests of full disclosure, I’m one of those odd ducks (I’ll bet none of you would ever have guessed this from my posts here over the years. :p) who doesn’t usually like breakfast foods for my evening meal. I’m not as against it as I used to be. Plus I can eat a breakfast burrito at just about anytime of the day, and I love the Tex-Mex dish of machaca (pot roast beef with scrambled eggs, mixed with fried tortilla chips, onions-but hold the cheese, sour cream, and jalapeños. I don’t like them. ) But traditionally I much prefer dinner food for breakfast.

I grew up in Texas, and I have had ancestors in Texas since at least the Civil War if not before. my mother never fixed this for me growing up. I don’t know if this was a staple in other Texas families, or whether it was imported from the Deep South. We were mainly ‘city folk’ though. But It seems to me it started showing up on menus about 10 years ago. While some families may have always served it, I almost get the feeling it became popular with the rising popularity of Southern diner cooking over the past 10 to 15 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone said, “Let’s combine these two southern favorites and see how they taste.”

I think the dish itself probably belongs in the category of Americans liking savory and sweet things mixed together-such as the syrup mixing with sausage when when you are having pancakes or waffles. While not authoritative, it seems to me I’ve read several human interest pieces by Bristish expats-who’ve said they were always interested in experiencing American food. They tried the syrup/savory combination and didn’t like it at all.

Gman

PS

Sorry @MikeBiDude -I hadn’t seen your post when I expounded on what I thought might be the possible origination of the dish.

Gman

I was unfamiliar with it but sounds good! Muy yum!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machaca

This thread by @Avalon reminds me of @Gar1eth epic thread about peanut butter.

Can you post a link to that thread? I can remember threads on brisket, apricot chicken, and chili. But if I really waxed poetic on peanut butter, it has totally fled from my mind.

Gman

I can't find it!

Oh yes, thank you @MikeBiDude!! Much like with Celine Dion, “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now!!” When @marylander1940 mentioned peanut butter, I was thinking of cooking with peanut butter not an opinion survey. Thanks for reminding me.

Gman

I was unfamiliar with it but sounds good! Muy yum!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machaca

Here’s a machaca with eggs recipe. I doubt I have ever had the ‘authentic’ version with dried beef. I’m sure mine has normally been brisket or pot roast. Oh and don’t listen if the recipes say always use flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are excellent with it. Also most of the times I’ve had it they add tortilla chips to it while it’s cooking. It makes a nice crunch in the dish.

http://muybuenocookbook.com/2013/09/machaca-con-huevo-machaca-with-eggs/

Gman

Here’s a machaca with eggs recipe. I doubt I have ever had the ‘authentic’ version with dried beef. I’m sure mine has normally been brisket or pot roast. Oh and don’t listen if the recipes say always use flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are excellent with it. Also most of the times I’ve had it they add tortilla chips to it while it’s cooking. It makes a nice crunch in the dish.

http://muybuenocookbook.com/2013/09/machaca-con-huevo-machaca-with-eggs/

Gman

That's something a diabetic could have (without the tortilla).

How do you eat the chicken? In the show they were using a knife and fork. Whenever I ate fried chicken I'd pick it up with my fingers.

It would defeat the purpose of the dish to pick up the chicken to eat it. If you do that, then you are just eating fried chicken with waffles and whatever else as a side dish. The idea is to eat the ingredients together, so a fork and knife are necessary.

On the recent episode of "MasterChef Junior" the young chefs had to make chicken and waffles. I just don't get it. To me waffles are for breakfast and chicken is for lunch or dinner. It must be a regional thing.

Now there are some things one can have for any meal. My father liked biscuits and gravy and could eat that for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The dish is now pretty much a universal brunch offering. I've seen in on menus in LA, LV, Chicago, Dallas, NYC, Boston, etc. It's also catching on in London, but the problem there is finding authentic grade A maple syrup.

As others have said, it combines a variety of textures and flavors: The sweet/savory combo always seems to be popular.

The dish is now pretty much a universal brunch offering. I've seen in on menus in LA, LV, Chicago, Dallas, NYC, Boston, etc. It's also catching on in London, but the problem there is finding authentic grade A maple syrup.

As others have said, it combines a variety of textures and flavors: The sweet/savory combo always seems to be popular.

They could import it from Canada. French Canadians are very big on maple syrup. They use it in ways we haven't even imagined.

This topic is 2025 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.