Attention: over age 70

friendofsheila
This topic is 2259 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I see old, old movies and I can never see any men's butts (much less a good one). All the pants were baggy.

How did you scope out the good butts back back before the 70's, when (I think) tighter pants happened (or was it the 60's?)?

If it was as difficult as I'm thinking, then I'm glad I came of age when I did. :)

I see old, old movies and I can never see any men's butts (much less a good one). All the pants were baggy.

How did you scope out the good butts back back before the 70's, when (I think) tighter pants happened (or was it the 60's?)?

If it was as difficult as I'm thinking, then I'm glad I came of age when I did. :)

Pants started getting tight in the early 60s. My older brother wore jeans so tight that we thought he looked a little silly.

Pants were very tight in the 60's (unless you sported the constipated "Ivy League" look). Think of Jim Morrison of "the Doors" singing Light My Fire in black leather pants slung low on his hips. Back in the day if you bought a new pair of 501 jeans, you would get them in the correct waist size, and 2" longer than your usual length. Then when you got them home you'd put the stiff new jeans on, then run a bath with as hot water as you could stand. You would sit in the tub and often used a wire brush or steel wool to distress the fabric while you sat in the hot water and waited for the jeans to shrink to your body shape. When the water cooled you would lay out in the sun and wait for the jeans to dry. If you did it right and braved sufficiently hot water you got jeans that looked like they were sprayed on, and then you never washed them.

Pants were very tight in the 60's (unless you sported the constipated "Ivy League" look). Think of Jim Morrison of "the Doors" singing Light My Fire in black leather pants slung low on his hips. Back in the day if you bought a new pair of 501 jeans, you would get them in the correct waist size, and 2" longer than your usual length. Then when you got them home you'd put the stiff new jeans on, then run a bath with as hot water as you could stand. You would sit in the tub and often used a wire brush or steel wool to distress the fabric while you sat in the hot water and waited for the jeans to shrink to your body shape. When the water cooled you would lay out in the sun and wait for the jeans to dry. If you did it right and braved sufficiently hot water you got jeans that looked like they were sprayed on, and then you never washed them.

I never did any of that, but I did wear 29-32 501s and they were very tight. When I put a freshly washed pair on, walking was difficult until they relaxed a little. Back then, nearly everybody went commando, they didn't wear belts, and they left the button at the waistband and the bottom fly button undone.

The clone look was popular- very short, scissor-cut hair, 501s, Lacoste shirts and Adidas running shoes. It was a great look.

I never did any of that, but I did wear 29-32 501s and they were very tight. When I put a freshly washed pair on, walking was difficult until they relaxed a little. Back then, nearly everybody went commando, they didn't wear belts, and they left the button at the waistband and the bottom fly button undone.

The clone look was popular- very short, scissor-cut hair, 501s, Lacoste shirts and Adidas running shoes. It was a great look.

I am well over 70 and still wear my 501's size 30 that I wore well into the 1990's.

Men, especially military, wore tight short shorts. All there were. How do you check out dudes now in long baggy basketball shorts?

Oh, yeah, gyms and military. I recall the movie "I Was A Communist for the FBI" where the recruit was approached during gym class or ROTC in college. His shorts came up to here!