Why I Don't Get Mail At Home

Avalon
This topic is 2247 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In the recent episode of "9-1-1" there was a "porch thief"; a person stealing packages that had been left by delivery companies.

Years ago I been visiting friends. So a few days after I got home one evening after work on the front yard I saw a box that had been opened with crumpled newspapers scattered about. I thought what rude, messy neighbors. So I go to clean up the mess and saw the box had been addressed to me. The delivery company had left it at my doorstep and someone took it. I had a left a pair of pants behind. They were at the bottom of the box and whoever stole the box tore the newspapers out but did not dig down far enough to find the pants at the bottom of the box.

I then got a rent box at the UPS store for all my mail.

Having that box saved me a $1,000. Back in 1999 I became ill with cellulitis in my right leg. I called a friend and when she saw my leg called 911 and the ambulance took me to the hospital. My friend followed and checked me in. She was unaware of my UPS mailing address, only knowing my residence and gave the hospital that.

When I got back home I had an ambulance bill . Somehow they found my mailing address. But I never got anything from the hospital. A year later I got a letter from the credit bureau; the hospital had turned me in. I went to the hospital to arrange payments but was told it was too late. So I went to the credit bureau. They wrote the bill off.

In 2006 I had to go to the hospital again for the same thing. But this time before I could be released I was taken to the billing office to make payment arrangements.

In the recent episode of "9-1-1" there was a "porch thief"; a person stealing packages that had been left by delivery companies.

Years ago I been visiting friends. So a few days after I got home one evening after work on the front yard I saw a box that had been opened with crumpled newspapers scattered about. I thought what rude, messy neighbors. So I go to clean up the mess and saw the box had been addressed to me. The delivery company had left it at my doorstep and someone took it. I had a left a pair of pants behind. They were at the bottom of the box and whoever stole the box tore the newspapers out but did not dig down far enough to find the pants at the bottom of the box.

I then got a rent box at the UPS store for all my mail.

Having that box saved me a $1,000. Back in 1999 I became ill with cellulitis in my right leg. I called a friend and when she saw my leg called 911 and the ambulance took me to the hospital. My friend followed and checked me in. She was unaware of my UPS mailing address, only knowing my residence and gave the hospital that.

When I got back home I had an ambulance bill . Somehow they found my mailing address. But I never got anything from the hospital. A year later I got a letter from the credit bureau; the hospital had turned me in. I went to the hospital to arrange payments but was told it was too late. So I went to the credit bureau. They wrote the bill off.

In 2006 I had to go to the hospital again for the same thing. But this time before I could be released I was taken to the billing office to make payment arrangements.

OMG Avalon, in what town do you live? I can't imagine having to have your mail delivered to a secured place away from your home, and I lived in Detroit during the mid 80's. Of course, times change, and I now live in suburbia.

OMG Avalon, in what town do you live? I can't imagine having to have your mail delivered to a secured place away from your home, and I lived in Detroit during the mid 80's.

I have had my car tires slashed, the air let out, the radio atenna taken, my car passenger side window broken, my car licence plate stolen to get the tag, & more ... .

My upstairs neighbor had his car stolen from the apartment parking lot.

So does the mailman simply not deliver to your house or did you stop picking it up and they stopped bringing it? I would think some people TRY to mail you at your home address, even if just to send a card.

There is a group mail box at the curb. For many years there was a note inside saying not to put any mail in my compartment. But several years ago I had that pulled because I needed proof of my actual residence. I used to check it once in awhile but because of my knee problem I have not checked it in several months. The mail in it was mostly advertisements. When something had no apartment number on the mailman would put it in my box regardless of the name on it.

I have had the rent box at the UPS store for 20+ years. I have lived in this apartment for 26 years.

I have had my car tires slashed, the air let out, the radio atenna taken, my car passenger side window broken, my car licence plate stolen to get the tag, & more ... .

My upstairs neighbor had his car stolen from the apartment parking lot.

I've seen when a neighbor has gone bad. People dumping houses to get out, prices plummeting. I remember when real estate prices in Detroit were in the toilet. People getting 1/2 of what they paid for houses 20 years before, if they were lucky. Some, like my folks continued to hang on, even with a break-in. Those neighbors that remained, and those new, were supportive, but my folks finally decided to move, and got very little for their house. Cost them a huge chuck of their savings to get a new house.

I've seen when a neighbor has gone bad. People dumping houses to get out, prices plummeting. I remember when real estate prices in Detroit were in the toilet. People getting 1/2 of what they paid for houses 20 years before, if they were lucky. Some, like my folks continued to hang on, even with a break-in. Those neighbors that remained, and those new, were supportive, but my folks finally decided to move, and got very little for their house. Cost them a huge chuck of their savings to get a new house.

I have great neighbors in the building (fourplex). My landlord is understanding and a great help. I order groceries online but the store does not deliver so he brings them to me. Also the UPS store is in the same shopping center so he picks up my mail.

• 4 weeks later...

To those who receive all their mail at a P.O.Box or similar service, can you tell me if you have any issues with using that as your only address? I.e., can you claim that as your home address on a driver's license or voter's registration, etc?

To those who receive all their mail at a P.O.Box or similar service, can you tell me if you have any issues with using that as your only address? I.e., can you claim that as your home address on a driver's license or voter's registration, etc?

The DMV requires a physical address, but most P.O. Box stores now have a physical address. It will be the address of the store and an apartment or suite number which will actually be your box number. You need only use that as your address and show a cable bill or something similar that goes there also. I have one, and use it for various things. Ordering online, many companies will not deliver to a P.O. Box, so having a P.O. Box with a physical address solves that.

Voter registration is similar. In the state of Florida, you can use the physical address of a P.O.Box for voter registration also. It requires an ID (document) that has a current address, but one of the 'documents' that is permitted is a bill that is going to that specific address.

Using a P.O.Box is over all quite convenient. I have had the mail service put important mail. ie checks etc. in the wrong mail box, and UPS and Fedex send packages back claiming that they were un-deliverable. Having a P.O. Box with a physical address helps to alleviate some of that.

Edited by bigvalboy

I have great neighbors in the building (fourplex). My landlord is understanding and a great help. I order groceries online but the store does not deliver so he brings them to me. Also the UPS store is in the same shopping center so he picks up my mail.

You live in an apartment, but you still have to do yard work? You’ve just lost what I consider one of the perks of living in an apartment. :p

The DMV requires a physical address, but most P.O. Box stores now have a physical address. It will be the address of the store and an apartment or suite number which will actually be your box number. You need only use that as your address and show a cable bill or something similar that goes there also. I have one, and use it for various things. Ordering online, many companies will not deliver to a P.O. Box, so having a P.O. Box with a physical address solves that.

Voter registration is similar. In the state of Florida, you can use the physical address of a P.O.Box for voter registration also. It requires an ID (document) that has a current address, but one of the 'documents' that is permitted is a bill that is going to that specific address.

Using a P.O.Box is over all quite convenient. I have had the mail service put important mail. ie checks etc. in the wrong mail box, and UPS and Fedex send packages back claiming that they were un-deliverable. Having a P.O. Box with a physical address helps to alleviate some of that.

I’m surprised the state will let you claim the P.O. Box as a voting address. I would have thought they would want your physical domicile for registration.

I’ve had trouble in the past when I had a box at the UPS Store. I moved away from the city for a year. But I had them forward my mail. I left a certain amount of money with them to make sure everything was forwarded. They were supposed to tell me when the money ran out. But they never did.

Gman

I have not, but that's because I use the street address when asked for a home/physical address. You usually get a street address equivallent of your PO Box: e.g., for PO Box #123 located in a Post Office on 1000 Happystreet, San Francisco, CA, the street address would be 1000 Happystreet, Unit #123, San Francisco, CA 94000

I’m surprised the state will let you claim the P.O. Box as a voting address. I would have thought they would want your physical domicile for registration.

They don't allow you to claim a P.O.Box, neither does the DMV, however most P.O.Box locations offer you the option of having a physical address...ie. the address of the store is the address that you will use for your physical address, and instead of a P.O.Box 'number' you will have a suite or unit or apt number which is actually your P.O. Box. You can then use that as your physical address by presenting the state with a document which shows you receive mail there. My parents traveled for years bouncing around the US in a motor-home. Early on it was not as common for P.O Box locations to offer a physical address. My father had a discussion with the DMV, they insisting they needed a physical address, and he insisting that he lived in a motor-home, and did not have one. Finally a supervisor intervened and allowed him to use the P.O.Box address. Anecdotal perhaps, but evidence that there are some in government who are reasonable.

I’ve had trouble in the past when I had a box at the UPS Store. I moved away from the city for a year. But I had them forward my mail. I left a certain amount of money with them to make sure everything was forwarded. They were supposed to tell me when the money ran out. But they never did.

Gman

I don't understand this...Why didn't you just send them a M.O. every few months to cover the fees.

Gman

I don't understand this...Why didn't you just send them a M.O. every few months to cover the fees.

That would have been a smart thing to do. But, if I’m

remembering correctly, they said they’d let me know. I was really busy at the time. I was working then. And I was expecting them to let me know when they required more money.

Gman

They don't allow you to claim a P.O.Box, neither does the DMV, however most P.O.Box locations offer you the option of having a physical address...ie. the address of the store is the address that you will use for your physical address, and instead of a P.O.Box 'number' you will have a suite or unit or apt number which is actually your P.O. Box. You can then use that as your physical address by presenting the state with a document which shows you receive mail there.

Thanks for the responses. I did set up a box at a facility with a 'physical' address'. Sometimes when I notify this or that company (such as American Express) with my change of address, I'll get a response that they have identified my new address as a postal service facility and that I must provide them with my physical address as well. This pisses me off because I want ZERO mail coming to my actual physical address ever again. (The post office and/or my apartment building screwed up my service one too many times.) I'm mostly worried that if I shut off delivery to my physical address altogether, I'll miss important mail from the DMV because that address is still on my driver's license. But if I DON't shut that service off altogether, my box will continue to be filled with flyers and junk mail until it's stuffed full.

Thanks for the responses. I did set up a box at a facility with a 'physical' address'. Sometimes when I notify this or that company (such as American Express) with my change of address, I'll get a response that they have identified my new address as a postal service facility and that I must provide them with my physical address as well. This pisses me off because I want ZERO mail coming to my actual physical address ever again. (The post office and/or my apartment building screwed up my service one too many times.) I'm mostly worried that if I shut off delivery to my physical address altogether, I'll miss important mail from the DMV because that address is still on my driver's license. But if I DON't shut that service off altogether, my box will continue to be filled with flyers and junk mail until it's stuffed full.

Yes...Amex might request a physical address, but you can let them know that all mail must go through a P.O. Box for billing, and any mail going to the physical address, will come back as un-deliverable. You can contact the post-master in your area, and most likely he will cooperate with you. They were very accommodating to my sister. She and her husband were in involved in a dispute with neighbors over property rights which escalated from cut sewer lines, vandalism, threats of physical violence, and finally litigation which went on for the better part of 10 years. My sister didn't even want the neighbors to know the address of where the P.O. Box was located, so they used only a P.O. Box for everything. For years, nothing ever came to the house.

I would suspect that you might need to go up the chain of command of credit card companies and other companies that you have to deal with and let them know that your physical address is not to be used...ever.