Fergie's Version Of The National Anthem

azdr0710
This topic is 2282 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.today.com/popculture/fergie-s-national-anthem-nba-all-star-game-was-interesting-t123432

we all know that singers who perform the National Anthem are under tremendous pressure to ham it up or keep it low-key....(and to start very low!).....what do you think of Fergie's blues version here?......and the Warriors' Draymond Green cracking up?.....is he laughing at her version or laughing when seeing himself on the monitor?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite comment....

"Thanks Fergie- now I know what the National Anthem would sound like if Carol from accounting sang it after five mango daiquiris."

For the record...I didn't hate it. I thought it was an interesting rendition.

I'm just don't think it was appropriate for the setting.

Rule #1.....know your audience.

I don't see that her version is all that much worse than those of countless other celebrities. Many seem to want to change the tempo forgetting, or not caring, that it was written to be sung at march tempo NOT at funeral dirge tempo. I am frequently amazed at just how long some singers can sting it out.

Edited by Epigonos

I marching in high school band and college band. I was a member of the ROTC in high school and college. We were taught the National Anthem is to be rendered with honor and respect. As it was explained to me many times, the Star Spangled Banner is a poem set to music that tells the story of a victorious battle:

• changing the performance of it stylistically is not appropriate.
  • Renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner should be performed straight-through, honoring the written music, this is not a time for interpretations.
  • The military teaches a performance of the anthem should take no less than 1:00 and no longer than 1:05 - many reasons include the militaristic nature of the piece, the repeated performance of the anthem throughout the military - it needs standardization, and besides it's only 29 measures of 3/4 time --- that's 88 beats, total.

So anytime someone fails the first test - play it or sing it straight without embellishing - I'm immediately turned off. It's not the occasion for artistic performance, it the occasion to honor our nation.

It’s important to remember that NFL players took a knee to protest police brutality. Not the national anthem then, nor how Fergie chose to badly sexualize it last night.

BN’s sarcasm not withstanding.

It's also important to remember those on this board who have a selective sense of humor.

... And those who also continue to grind their axe ;)

So here's a thought: given the number of celebrities who have botched the National Anthem (unintentionally and otherwise) over the years, why not stop hiring celebrities to sing it? Hire someone from an opera company or a regional theater company. If hiring a celebrity is a must, then write a clause in the contract that states they don't get paid if they don't sing it nice.

But yet again she (Fergie) has everyone talking about her relevancy

Perhaps questioning it once again. Fergie did have an interesting career in music, but she was never Whitney Houston. If you aren't Whitney Houston, and you're offered an opportunity to sing the Star-Spangled Banner on national tv, it's a good idea to have someone in your life to remind you that you're not Whitney Houston, and that you should sing the song "straight" and avoid all chances of having to do an apology tour afterwards.

I wonder if she's been hitting the meth pipe again. The lil bit of video I could stand it sounded horrid. I don't subscribe to the whole fuck yeah murika and how dare you disrespect the flag/national anthem. I give zero fucks about it/them. But her going by her performance, it was awful and shoulda had her mic unplugged.

Hugs,

Greg