7/11 And Business Hours

Avalon
This topic is 2300 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember when banks were only open 10AM to 3PM Monday thru Thursday and until 6PM on Fridays.

I think the convenience store chain 7/11 got its name because they were open from 7AM until 11PM. Grocery stores were open fewer hours. But I can not remember what the grocery store hours used to be way back when.

You're correct about the 7/11 name.

As a kid, I remember they opened a "super market" near our house. Eventually put the small "grocery store" (it only had 2 check-out lanes) out of business. I remember going to the super market in the evening with my mother. I had to go to help carry the bags because she never learned to drive. I'd guess the super market closed around 9pm. I don't remember going to the grocery store in the evening, but I still remember more about it, like what a great deli counter it had, and better baked goods.

I remember when banks were only open 10AM to 3PM Monday thru Thursday and until 6PM on Fridays.

I think the convenience store chain 7/11 got its name because they were open from 7AM until 11PM. Grocery stores were open fewer hours. But I can not remember what the grocery store hours used to be way back when.

Back in 1970's Chicago the supermarkets usually closed at 9:00 M-Sat and earlier on Sundays. Then Jewel, the dominant chain, started opening until midnight. A few years later they opened 24 hours stores.

A comic once asked, in his routine, "Why do 7-Elevens have locks on their doors?" A friend who worked the midnight shift there said it was so the late-night workers working along could use the bathroom.

Back when Denny's started closing on one of the holidays (either Thanksgiving or Christmas - don't recall which) they had to supply their stores with chains and padlocks, as many did not have locks on the doors.

When I first moved to Chicago in the late 80's, I was shocked to learn that some of the banks were closed on Wednesday. Talman was one of them.

For a long time, car dealers in Detroit were closed both Saturday and Sunday. During the week, they closed at 6pm, except for Tuesday and Thursday, open till 9pm.

Edited by bashful

When I first moved to Chicago in the late 80's, I was shocked to learn that some of the banks were closed on Wednesday. Talman was one of them....

Yup - some S&Ls as well as smaller neighborhood banks were clinging onto that tradition. However, larger institutions (First Chicago, Northern Trust, Harris, etc) were open on Wednesdays.