becks motor lodge SF 411

johnjohn
This topic is 2286 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Pretty basic motel. If you stay there, try to get a room that doesn't face the street if you like more quiet when you sleep. The place used to get quite a lot of cruising because anyone could simply walk up and down the halls outside the rooms, but several years ago they installed security gates so you need to be let in by a guest if you are going to a room there. (Not sure if this is true for the ground floor rooms facing the parking lot; I assume those are still readily accessible.)

Edited by maninsoma

I stayed there just over a year ago and agree that if you want quiet, you should get a room that faces 15th St (back side of the hotel). Even with the privacy gates, there's noise coming from Market St. Also, the rooms in back are newer. They're pretty basic, but very clean and comfortable. I'd stay there again. The neighborhood is great. It's close to Castro St and on the edge of the Mission District. Tons of places to eat. I was having lunch one day at an outdoor patio cafe just a couple blocks down Market when I thought I recognized the guy at the next table. I wasn't 100% sure so I pulled up his rentmen ad on my phone and verified that yes, it was indeed him. I had a little swooning episode, but didn't talk to him. The other guy at the table looked like he might be a client.

http://www.sanfranciscotravelersguide.com/image-files/becks-motel-exterior-800-2x1.jpg

I stayed there in late 2012. A friend who lives in San Francisco described it as the local no-tell-motel, but I liked it. Basic, simple, my room was clean. The second-story patio you can see in the picture above was a nice place to chill. I went for a "deluxe" room at the back, it was very roomy, and quiet.

The showers at least used to have diverters already installed so all you had to do is screw in your own ass hose. Don't know if they still do. I always thought that was a nice convenience that must have confused the hell out of some folk. "Why would the shower have a lever that splashes all the water against the wall?"

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/mMEAAOSwYaFWgQTX/$_32.JPG

Kevin Slater

Thanks. My experiences are decades old, and, apparently, no longer relevant.

So, I appreciate reading this. Perhaps time to change my attitude regarding the place.

Neighborhood has always been fine. And, for a city where tourism is major business, Becks is the only conventional lodging in the Castro.

Edited by LaffingBear

The showers at least used to have diverters already installed so all you had to do is screw in your own ass hose. Don't know if they still do. I always thought that was a nice convenience that must have confused the hell out of some folk. "Why would the shower have a lever that splashes all the water against the wall?"

Kevin Slater

I’m embarrassed to show my ignorance, but is one typically on the toilet when using that? It doesn’t go in the bathtub, does it? :confused: