Anonymous STI testing

JEC
This topic is 2334 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does your state allow anonymous STI testing? Massachusetts does not....and if you test positive for anything it's reported to your Town Health Department who contacts you with a detailed interrogation. I'm sure there are positive Public Health benefits to this...but it discourages testing. I would be willing to travel (within reason - NH VT ME NY CT RI NJ) to a nearby state if they have anonymous testing/treatment....thanks. No immediate concern, but also think playing in this space all should be tested with some regularity.....

T

Does your state allow anonymous STI testing? Massachusetts does not....and if you test positive for anything it's reported to your Town Health Department who contacts you with a detailed interrogation. I'm sure there are positive Public Health benefits to this...but it discourages testing. I would be willing to travel (within reason - NH VT ME NY CT RI NJ) to a nearby state if they have anonymous testing/treatment....thanks. No immediate concern, but also think playing in this space all should be tested with some regularity.....

Try a home test kit? Saliva based, I’m not sure of accuracy science but it’s quite private. This one about $36 on amazon delivered discreetly to your door

62_C53_BDA-1557-424_A-96_C1-45_A2872_CDAA3.jpg

For HIV Try a home test kit? Saliva based, I’m not sure of accuracy science but it’s quite private. This one about $36 on amazon delivered discreetly to your door

Thanks Mike, I think complete testing would be for multiple things, not just HIV

CA does, or did.

1999, I was employed by a hospital, and whenever lab work was needed, did it at work.

I went to a dermatologist for a possible cosmetic fix, but he asked about stubborn razor-burn, told me it was staph, asked if anything else going on, diagnosed a very mild case of molluscum contagiosum. Advised an HIV test, and then said

"I dont think you should do it where you work. Try the County Health Service." I did - smart, sensitive advice.

Different era... they gave an ID number, and I called in for anonymous results.

NY only reports if your HIV test comes back positive, as long as that’s negative your results don’t get reported.

It is my understanding that you can do anonymous testing in NY, but only at State and NYC approved sites. I did a bit of googling - this link should help if you are interested in New York State: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/aids/providers/regulations/reporting_and_notification/question_answer.htm#onethru16

This is focused on HIV, just FYI.

I don't think this is quite on the nose about MA. From the state website:

"Under state regulation, any diagnosing physician who provides primary care for an individual with HIV infection or AIDS is required by law to report this case to the state health department. Usually this is a person's primary medical care provider. Counseling and testing providers who are not diagnosing physicians are not required to report HIV or AIDS."

"Yes, free, anonymous HIV testing will continue to be available at sites throughout the state. Results of anonymous tests are not reported to the Department by anonymous testing sites."

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/departments/dph/programs/id/hiv-aids/reporting/hiv-reporting-in-mass-for-consumers.html

However, what may be more relevant to MA residents is this line:

"All people living with HIV in Massachusetts who are in medical care will be reported by name starting January 1, 2007."

I don't know if it's plausible to receive anonymous HIV treatment, but I have to imagine it's not advisable. So it seems like the testing itself may be less relevant.

In Philly we have "Any Name" and Anonymous testing. If you go to the Health Dept they will tell you just put down any name -- Does not matter they are not checking IDs -- It is about their funding and how many separate patients they have served.

HIV testing is totally anonymous - Right in the Gayborhood is the Washington Sq. West Project = Free and anonymous HIV rapid testing --- It is right next to KNOCK - Bar/Restaurant --- They also do any name testing for the full range of STI testing -- But you should check the website for hours HIV tests always available -- Full spectrum STI screening Limited hours

So come to Philly go to Brunch at KNOCK - get tested and then go back to the Bar to buy that cute boy a drink

In Philly we have "Any Name" and Anonymous testing. If you go to the Health Dept they will tell you just put down any name -- Does not matter they are not checking IDs -- It is about their funding and how many separate patients they have served.

HIV testing is totally anonymous - Right in the Gayborhood is the Washington Sq. West Project = Free and anonymous HIV rapid testing --- It is right next to KNOCK - Bar/Restaurant --- They also do any name testing for the full range of STI testing -- But you should check the website for hours HIV tests always available -- Full spectrum STI screening Limited hours

So come to Philly go to Brunch at KNOCK - get tested and then go back to the Bar to buy that cute boy a drink

I knew there was a reason why I liked Philly so much - they do like to eat well! ;)

Another reason why Philly is known as the city of brotherly love.

T

Try a home test kit? Saliva based, I’m not sure of accuracy science but it’s quite private. This one about $36 on amazon delivered discreetly to your door

Good idea except that you get the results without the benefit of counseling. Should you test positive it could upset you and cause great anxiety and you have no one to help you through it.

Good idea except that you get the results without the benefit of counseling. Should you test positive it could upset you and cause great anxiety and you have no one to help you through it.

They do offer 24/7 phone counseling, and have reading material they suggest reviewing before taking the test. Also I have a huge family and friend support system I’d be able to lean on. Not everyone needs a lot of Hand holding to get through the day

I've gotten the freebie HIV tests with a finger prick-type procedure and a five-minute wait......I do know you have to be pretty "egregious???" (don't want to use the word "stupid") to contract HIV, so not horribly worried about that......

but is there any way to get tested for all the other STDs without the big needle blood draw?......bit of a "wuss" here about needles....my doc and the HIV test guy/gal have told me the big needle is the only way, I think, but want to ask here.....

thanks

I've gotten the freebie HIV tests with a finger prick-type procedure and a five-minute wait......I do know you have to be pretty "egregious" to contract HIV, so not horribly worried about that......

but is there any way to get tested for all the other STDs without the big needle blood draw?......bit of a "wuss" here about needles....my doc and the HIV test guy/gal have told me the big needle is the only way, I think, but want to ask here.....

thanks

NO!

So put on your Big Boy Pants and Butch It Up

=== They Draw Blood and slide a swab 1/2 inch inside your dick - and another on about an inch up your ass and the final one they swab your throat. If you are a sexually active human you should be tested regularly ---

It is better to keep your dick than your dignity --- and while you are there have the doc fondle your nuts to check for testicular cancer - And if you bitch about the blood test the doc squeezes your nuts extra hard or he call me to do it -- and you will think the blood test was pure joy

Edited by Bearofdistinction

They do offer 24/7 phone counseling, and have reading material they suggest reviewing before taking the test. Also I have a huge family and friend support system I’d be able to lean on. Not everyone needs a lot of Hand holding to get through the day

I don’t consider professional counseling and support “hand holding “. And not everyone has a large family and friends support system to lean on.

If you don't like that option, Healthcare Advocates International in Stratford CT(good distance of a ride from you), is a VERY friendly open clinic that accepts MassHealth and other types of insurance, besides CT. The head doctor there(Gary Blick), has both a private practice(for profit) and operates HAI as a nonprofit to assist the LGBT community and especially though at higher risk of STI / HIV. Super solid guy, switching from a bible belt doctor in my hometown to a doctor I could be transparent with about what I do was the single best decision I made in 2017....

Testing kit shows up in plain, unmarked envelope. Although the return address indicates it is as lab, it does not give away what is inside or what the kit is for is for, so if someone sees it they really won't know unless they open the envelope. As well, the company does a variety of testing including for general health, so even if someone knew it was from company, they wouldn't know what the kit was for unless they open it. Inside the kit are detailed instruction on how to collect your sample (also on their website) along with everything you need to collect the sample, including alcohol wipes, lancets and bandaids. The sample is placed back in the box and then the box is placed in a pre-addressed, pre-paid, plain envelope (included in the kit). You drop the package off at a UPS store and it gets back to the lab in 1-2 days.