Do you have the capacity to do nothing?

LaffingBear
This topic is 2352 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can you sit and do nothing? Could you sit on a public bench and people-watch? Enjoy your yard or balcony, just soaking in sites and sounds, be they nature or urban? Sit on a plane or train and watch the world go by the window? No device. No food.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gCXQ-baCWG0/Rqtnpmj8sYI/AAAAAAAAAGw/hgByoIGpTxg/s320/Devil%27s+workshop.gif

I've arrived at the conclusion that the greatest marketing achievement of our time is the electronics, particularly the cell&device, industry's exploitation of the human need for activity. To fill idle time.

Six or seven years ago, I'd sit on SF Bay public transit, watching fellow riders get antsy in no-signal zones. They'd literally pull out phones and hold them up in the air upon exiting tunnels, hoping for a signal. Now, if course, there are signals in tunnels.

TV ads depict families, vacationing in the great outdoors, but huddled in their tent projecting a movie on the tent-wall. People are depicted playing on beaches or in parks, phones-in-hands.

I took a tech friend on vacation, his first time ever in the sierra mountains. He freaked out if he couldnt get a signal, and couldn't just enjoy the surroundings.

People sit at sporting events, in the stadium, but watch the game on their phone.

Im not anti-phone or tech. Its part of my life. I track exercise, post on social media, shop, make reservations, etc. I'm conditioned to feel like a phone is an important emergency device when I drive, and have even returned home to retrieve a forgotten phone.

I'm simply observing, and wondering whether, we're conditioning ourselves to be entirely unable to disconnect at all.

Yes, I have periods when I am very contented to do nothing but observe the world going by me. I'm thinking it's a generational thing. During my lifetime power and communications outages were/are major inconveniences, but hardly the states of complete helplessness that many young people today believe them to be; which feeds a looming concern of mine about the possibility of an act of terrorism taking down our power grid.

Can you sit and do nothing? Could you sit on a public bench and people-watch? Enjoy your yard or balcony, just soaking in sites and sounds, be they nature or urban? Sit on a plane or train and watch the world go by the window? No device. No food.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gCXQ-baCWG0/Rqtnpmj8sYI/AAAAAAAAAGw/hgByoIGpTxg/s320/Devil%27s+workshop.gif

I've arrived at the conclusion that the greatest marketing achievement of our time is the electronics, particularly the cell&device, industry's exploitation of the human need for activity. To fill idle time.

Six or seven years ago, I'd sit on SF Bay public transit, watching fellow riders get antsy in no-signal zones. They'd literally pull out phones and hold them up in the air upon exiting tunnels, hoping for a signal. Now, if course, there are signals in tunnels.

TV ads depict families, vacationing in the great outdoors, but huddled in their tent projecting a movie on the tent-wall. People are depicted playing on beaches or in parks, phones-in-hands.

I took a tech friend on vacation, his first time ever in the sierra mountains. He freaked out if he couldnt get a signal, and couldn't just enjoy the surroundings.

People sit at sporting events, in the stadium, but watch the game on their phone.

Im not anti-phone or tech. Its part of my life. I track exercise, post on social media, shop, make reservations, etc. I'm conditioned to feel like a phone is an important emergency device when I drive, and have even returned home to retrieve a forgotten phone.

I'm simply observing, and wondering whether, we're conditioning ourselves to be entirely unable to disconnect at all.

Yes. I know this because as much as I love the tech and an always-on connection, I didn't grow up with it, I don't want to forget that life. When I go on vacation, I disconnect as much as possible, don't watch or read the news, only use my phone to communicate with the people I'm seeing.

As for the big picture, I try to take the long view. As with most new technology, there is a period of overindulgence since there are no social norms to guide people. Eventually a balance is struck and the world doesn't end.

Can you sit and do nothing? Could you sit on a public bench and people-watch? Enjoy your yard or balcony, just soaking in sites and sounds, be they nature or urban? Sit on a plane or train and watch the world go by the window?

No one does it better than David Puddy

maxresdefault.jpg

Classic Seinfeld episode. You can even see "vegetable lasagne" sitting on the other side of Elaine!

I don't own a smart phone, and I turn on my old flip phone only when I am expecting to get or make an important call, which means it is sometimes turned off for days. I don't listen to anything when I am in the car. I love to just sit in a park, on a beach, etc., and watch the world go by. I don't watch anything on the ubiquitous screens while traveling on a plane. I hate it when there is a TV on in the waiting room at the doctor's office or the auto service area. At an auto wash, I like to just watch the car being washed and polished. I am happy to sit outdoors and watch the changes in the sky. My favorite activity of the day is a long walk with the dog, as he stops to investigate all the interesting smells. At the gym, I never watch the TV screens or listen to an iPod. At the pool, I float or swim in the water, and lie peacefully in the sun afterwards, listening to the sounds of the birds in the trees. On a train, I spend most of the time looking out the window at the scenery.

The one thing that is beginning to concern me is my compulsion, when I am at home, to check my computer or iPad every couple of hours for new emails, even though I delete 80% of them without reading. And then there is this site....