Queer As Folk. Looking. What next?

WmClarke
This topic is 2217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I suggest Noah's Arc. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but to paint with a broad brush Noah's Arc was like a black Queer As Folk -- only better written and acted. And it featured a number of seriously sexy men. Definitely worthwhile watching.

I will check it out. Thanks!

They are definitely dont have as much sex scenes as QAF but if you like asian guys you could always watch Asian dramas/movies. I am not sure about Taiwan/Hong Kong, Viet, or Phillippines drama/movies.

Japanese dramas are like 80% overacting but their movies are good and they sometimes do boyslove/yaoi/gay/gender bender themed shows but there entertainment shows are crazy. They have this Okama TV host show and stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nloWCnvGATU

Korea has more gender bender dramas and either just allude to the fact that the character is gay or in the extremely rare case they actually say it. There has to be about no more than 10 gay movies that i know. Which is funny because all the male Kpop groups do crazy amounts of fanservice or about a quarter of them look or dress like girls.

Thailand has by far the most BL/yaoi/gender bender/gay themed dramas/movies. They do some pretty good television shows and intense movies.

http://i.boxasian.com/info/1181/water-boyy-the-series-water-boyy-the-movie-2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHey7VDUmnQ

Edited by Aquarionsol

So, earlier this year I binge-watched Queer As Folk (US version) and just binge-watched Looking this weekend.

Enjoyed both (like ensemble shows), though I had (relatively minor) issues with some stuff on both shows.

What “gay” show should I watch next?

The UK had the original QAF. Some prefer it over the Showtime production. I've never seen the UK QAF.

Six Feet Under has a key gay character played by Michael C. Hall, and the show's creator was gay. Although it is not considered a gay show it was a highly regarded show. The gay son has a boyfriend and they play a big part of the storyline.

It's fair to say the SFU characters were a bit quirky. The writing was good. There were several great guest roles such as Kathy Bates, and Justin Theroux

The Wire was another great show, very highly regarded with a key gay character, Omar. It's not a gay show but they let Omar show his capacity to love his man. Omar was a bad ass, intimidating fellow.

If you want a purely gay TV show, I'm a big fan of Eastsiders. I saw Season 3 at Outfest and it was the best thing I saw there. Loved the writing. Our community ought to consider supporting it because they really need and deserve out support.

Edited by OCClient

The UK had the original QAF. Some prefer it over the Showtime production. I've never seen the UK QAF.

Six Feet Under has a key gay character played by Michael C. Hall, and the show's creator was gay. Although it is not considered a gay show it was a highly regarded show. The gay son has a boyfriend and they play a big part of the storyline.

It's fair to say the SFU characters were a bit quirky. The writing was good. There were several great guest roles such as Kathy Bates, and Justin Theroux

The Wire was another great show, very highly regarded with a key gay character, Omar. It's not a gay show but they let Omar show his capacity to love his man. Omar was a bad ass, intimidating fellow.

If you want a purely gay TV show, I'm a big fan of Eastsiders. I saw Season 3 at Outfest and it was the best thing I saw there. Loved the writing. Our community ought to consider supporting it because they really need out support.

Omar is often regarded as one of the (if not the) best tv characters of all time. I say The Wire is the best show ever, closely followed by Breaking Bad.

Kevin Slater

HBO's Oz and True Blood are great and have interesting, complex, same-sex representation. Sometime very HOT complex same sex representation. I'm very hesitant to name the best show of all time, queer-adjacent or otherwise. How can Monty Python's Flying Circus be compared to The Twilight Zone to I Love Lucy to The Tonight Show to Battlestar Gallactica to Batman to The West Wing? That damned eye of the beholder is always hanging out on the corner with its cigarettes and rock-and-roll. I'm sure all the recommendations here are worth watching. You have an advantage over those of us who watched as they aired in that they've all ended. You can watch as much or as little as you like!

• 1 month later...

Russell T Davies, who wrote the original QAF, recently wrote three intertwined series that appear to take place in the same universe: “Tofu”, “Banana”, and “Cucumber”. I can’t recommend them highly enough. Cucumber was particularly good. You might have to be slightly creative to find them though.

• 3 months later...
I suggest Noah's Arc. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but to paint with a broad brush Noah's Arc was like a black Queer As Folk -- only better written and acted. And it featured a number of seriously sexy men. Definitely worthwhile watching.

And rewatching!! [sWOON]

• 2 weeks later...