party etiquette

Kman
This topic is 2381 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have always been taught that I never invite additional people to a party that I am invited to, unless I was told I could beforehand (without asking).

Same here. Several months ago, got a text from a friend, she was having a dinner party. It was a night of the same weekend when I was having family visit. I declined with my regrets that I was unavailable that weekend.

Edited by bashful

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you meant neutralizes, then that is a fair comment.

But also when you are 35, that is kind of the main way to make new friends, through dinner party introductions.

Unlike in college, you don’t have 100 people attending the same class that you can chat up.

So saying having people I don’t know at an informal party kills the mood of the party, well, maybe, but it also allows new things to happen (including new potential and future sexual partners:))

I did indeed mean "neutralizes." :)

Same here. Several months ago, got a text from a friend, she was having a dinner party. It was a night of the same weekend when I was having family visit. I declined with my regrets that I was unavailable that weekend.

I think it's acceptable to say that you can't because you have family in town, and then just let that hang & see if she invites them :-)

I think it's acceptable to say that you can't because you have family in town, and then just let that hang & see if she invites them :)

I thought about that, but family had a big to-do list while in town, and I didn't want to put either the hostess, or family in the position of having to make adjustments.

I don't understand. It's not your party. It's the hosts' problem. If there isn't enough food, it's their fault for accepting the party crashers.

A good host, faced with additional (uninvited) guests at the door would spare their invited guests embarrassment by accepting them in. The host is just going the extra mile. Any inconvenience is at the feet of the guest, and everyone knows it. But it is rude to put the host in that position.