Ordering Groceries Online?

Avalon
This topic is 1878 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone order groceries online? I do. They bring them out to my car but once home I have to carry them in.

But this morning the clerk told me maybe in a couple of months they will have home delivery.

i am up at 5 a.m. and often not home until 8... i have my groceries and even now meal-preparation kits delivered to me... expensive, yes.... but what's the alternative?

Edited by nynakedtop

i am up at 5 a.m. and often not home until 8... i have my groceries and even now meal-preparation kits delivered to me... expensive, yes.... but what's the alternative?

My favorite supermarket is down the road from all of my doctors' offices. Since I seem to have an appointment every week, I just shop afterwards. It's an efficient system... you should try it.;):confused::eek::oops::rolleyes::(

My favorite supermarket is down the road from all of my doctors' offices. Since I seem to have an appointment every week, I just shop afterwards. It's an efficient system... you should try it.;):confused::eek::oops::rolleyes::(

I love your suggestion.... but... tell me please: WHEN??? Working in an urban public high school does not give a person a lot of "free time" (or discretionary energy!)

I can definitely see the appeal to this. I had to take a leave from work to take watch my mother after being in the hospital with bi-lateral pneumonia. She is doing fantastic but still needs a few more weeks of Physical therapy rehab. When I do go back to my own place (I live an hour away), even though she is fine to drive, it would be nice if there was a grocery around here that would deliver the groceries. I did look at Costco but they are 30 minutes away and do not service my mothers zip code.

The only thing I think that is bad about the at home grocery delivery is when it would come to produce. I wonder would the person who would be gathering the groceries check all of the produce to make sure that it looked good or just grab the closest ones and not care about if there is bruising or starting to get too ripe.

Nothing like picking out your own groceries. Eatting healthy is a choice, and easy if you make a plan. I always go to the store with a list. I love to cook and experiment with recipes. And I'm too cheap to pay 3x as much for groceries when they are delivered.

Nothing like picking out your own groceries. Eatting healthy is a choice, and easy if you make a plan. I always go to the store with a list. I love to cook and experiment with recipes. And I'm too cheap to pay 3x as much for groceries when they are delivered.

I totally agree with you - I am very particular about what I will eat and if any delivery service ever gave me sub-standard items, they would definitely feel the full wrath of my anger (well, at least my disappointment).

That is why after considerable shopping around I have picked the companies I do business with.

Again (BozoTheKapo's obsession about me and my career notwithstanding), having the crazy hours of a teacher and the eating philosophy of a fitness-geek/health nerd, I think I am making the best of a potentially very bad situation (pizza hut for dinner????)

I totally agree with you - I am very particular about what I will eat and if any delivery service ever gave me sub-standard items, they would definitely feel the full wrath of my anger (well, at least my disappointment).

That is why after considerable shopping around I have picked the companies I do business with.

Again (BozoTheKapo's obsession about me and my career notwithstanding), having the crazy hours of a teacher and the eating philosophy of a fitness-geek/health nerd, I think I am making the best of a potentially very bad situation (pizza hut for dinner????)

For the sake of my sanity, I do have "cheat days" where I eat out or indulge in junk food.

I was about to say "use a midnight grocery store," but then realized that in some areas that is not an option. It isn't a problem here in Phoenix. I often work late, but Fry's (the Kroger banner in Phoenix whose stores are typically huge grocery palaces) is open til past midnight, as is Safeway. Of course, nothing will beat the VONS 2 blocks from my place in San Diego.

i use Fresh Direct for groceries.... and a service called Plated for meal deliveries - no problem(s) with product quality in either case!

I've heard great things about Fresh Direct.

Like you, I like to pick out my own food and experiment with new recipes. When nice supermarkets are available (like the aforementioned Fry's and VONS or the big Jewel-Oscos they have back home in Chicago) I LOVE to grocery shop.

Too expensive

My grocery store charges a fee of $5.95 if the order is under $100. So I always make sure I buy at least $100. They know me well there. I've been shopping there since last century. If there is something I've ordered that is unavailable they'll call me about a substitute.

For today's order one item was the Jimmy Dean small breakfast sausage. It was unavailable so they gave me the large one for the same price.

They have a points program. I get a coupon every quarter. This recent one was for $17. Plus out of the blue they sent me a coupon for $10. So I used them both today.

I LOVE to grocery shop.

As Demi & Patrick once said, "Ditto"!

And you get lots of help from employees (& even other customers) if you're using the handicapped cart. The store I usually go to has five of them, and the ones that aren't in use are always lined up in front of the store, fully charged.

My grocery store charges a fee of $5.95 if the order is under $100. So I always make sure I buy at least $100. They know me well there. I've been shopping there since last century. If there is something I've ordered that is unavailable they'll call me about a substitute.

For today's order one item was the Jimmy Dean small breakfast sausage. It was unavailable so they gave me the large one for the same price.

No stores deliver to my neighborhood, so I had to use a delivery service (PEAPOD) when I was homebound by severe back spasms. The first 60 days are free delivery, but the prices are horrendous. Fortunately, the one time I had to use them, many items I wanted were on sale, so it wasn't so bad.

No stores deliver to my neighborhood, so I had to use a delivery service (PEAPOD) when I was homebound by severe back spasms. The first 60 days are free delivery, but the prices are horrendous. Fortunately, the one time I had to use them, many items I wanted were on sale, so it wasn't so bad.

The clerk today told me that maybe in a few months they will start home delivery. I plan to take advantage of that.

We get a weekly Hello Fresh delivery - have for a long time. It's more expensive than buying groceries, but costs way less than eating out.

hard core "foodie" here and i would rather food shop than any other kind of shopping (well, books rank high too...)

there are some wonderful smaller-than-supermarket places in NYC (like Fairway...) for top quality food - less precious and pretentious than "gourmet markets" and more variety and more-hard-to-find "specialty" items than in a typical supermarket

i try to supplement my delivered groceries with a stop at one of these places at least once a week for some baked goods, fun dessert items, hard to find fruits/vegetables, and so on...

all these pieces put together work just fine!

I'm about 50/50 on doing my own shopping and having it delivered. I find that it is a great time saver when I'm busy - and the small fee is worth it. Many cities now have InstaCart. Anyone that is wanting to give it a try may see if they deliver in you area. It is fantastic. You receive a text message when they start your shopping, and if they make any substitutions, you get a text message to approve or deny the substitution. I highly recommend the service if you're looking for a delivery service.

Anyone order groceries online? I do. They bring them out to my car but once home I have to carry them in.

But this morning the clerk told me maybe in a couple of months they will have home delivery.

I get all same prices and sales as in the store === Any problems driver is back within an hour to bring replacement.

I can send notes to the shopper like --- "I Want 2--- 1.25lb New York Strips -- Please Ask the Butcher to cut a Pocket into the Steaks I am grilling stuffed."

I order soda/cases of water/heavy stuff etc. --- the $16.00 service charge to Shop - Deliver - Bring into the Kitchen - Stack Cases in the Garage - is well worth the fee and the cost. Or I drive to the Market - fight for parking - spend 90+ minutes shopping and standing in line checking out -- Packing the bags - loading the cart - finding the cart - loading the truck - driving home and unloading the truck - carrying everything in to the kitchen and garage - then unpacking ---- TIME + 150 minutes

Shopping on computer and unpacking groceries in the kitchens 30 Minutes

Worth the fee Yes or No? HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My time bills out at a hell of a lot more than $16 an hour and leisure time -- PRICELESS!