"The Orville" Renewed For A Second Season

Avalon
This topic is 1859 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I am a big science fiction/fantasy fan, but I found "The Orville" totally unwatchable. I viewed the first two episodes completely, tuned in for a few minutes of the third and that was it. I was shocked to see that a second season was planned.

I presumed an early demise for this one, so this news is surprising. I feel I'm one of the precious few that still watches Brooklyn Nine-Nine, my only FOX show I like.

I'm thinking that their viewer roles are bolstered by all the guys who wanted to watch Star Trek: Discovery, but their wives won't let them spring for CBS All Access.

Gordon and John act like two middle school boys playing pranks. But at least John is now shown to be intellectually gifted; he was hiding his talent. He's been promoted to Chief Engineer. Hopefully that will keep him away from Gordon.

I like the green slime character! ;-)))

Gordon and John act like two middle school boys playing pranks. But at least John is now shown to be intellectually gifted; he was hiding his talent. He's been promoted to Chief Engineer. Hopefully that will keep him away from Gordon.

Reminiscent of The Next Generation, where the black guy starts out as the navigator and quickly gets promoted to engineering.

I liked the Orville "two dimensional dimension" episode where they promoted LaMarr. That's probably mostly because he was the featured character, and I find him to be quite handsome. It's nice when his screen time isn't limited to a second or two for his quips on the bridge. The "Reddit society" episode also featured LaMarr, but the script was so dumb that I was focused more on getting through to the end than checking him out. I really half hoped that when they went into the two dimensional space that they'd all turn into Family Guy renderings of themselves.

MacFarlane is a big Star Trek fan, and this show is obviously the result of his Animation Domination clout -- his ability to greenlight anything he wants. This is a TNG knock-off with its entire look and feel lifted from that era, along with its "resolve it in an episode" character development, and the specifically odd new culture of the week that makes us think about our own. Hiring Penny Johnson-Jerald is a bit of an homage, and I'm sure we all caught Gordon's cat reference. With LaMarr now established as chief engineer we can look forward to Isaac's identical evil twin, and Bortus's entanglement into politics and war on his home planet.

I liked the Orville "two dimensional dimension" episode where they promoted LaMarr. That's probably mostly because he was the featured character, and I find him to be quite handsome. It's nice when his screen time isn't limited to a second or two for his quips on the bridge. The "Reddit society" episode also featured LaMarr, but the script was so dumb that I was focused more on getting through to the end than checking him out. I really half hoped that when they went into the two dimensional space that they'd all turn into Family Guy renderings of themselves.

MacFarlane is a big Star Trek fan, and this show is obviously the result of his Animation Domination clout -- his ability to greenlight anything he wants. This is a TNG knock-off with its entire look and feel lifted from that era, along with its "resolve it in an episode" character development, and the specifically odd new culture of the week that makes us think about our own. Hiring Penny Johnson-Jerald is a bit of an homage, and I'm sure we all caught Gordon's cat reference. With LaMarr now established as chief engineer we can look forward to Isaac's identical evil twin, and Bortus's entanglement into politics and war on his home planet.

I like LaMarr. I hope they keep him away from Gordon. In the recent episode when the Captain went looking for someone to hang out with LaMarr had a woman in his cabin. She was scantily clad; her breasts were almost showing. I was surprised that much flesh was allowed on prime time tv.

I liked the Orville "two dimensional dimension" episode where they promoted LaMarr. That's probably mostly because he was the featured character, and I find him to be quite handsome.

I like LaMarr.

He's an award-winning pianist... and no, I don't know whether he has an award-winning penis.

I enjoyed the last 2 episodes & have gone back to watch a few others. The one with Rob Lowe was dumb, despite getting to see Rob & Seth in bed. The episode in which Dr. Finn, her 2 kids, & Isaac get stranded was (I thought) the best of the season. The episode where they encounter a giant vessel adrift in space was good.

The show got better as the season went on. Less goofy, more seriousness. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Edited by samhexum

The episode in which Dr. Finn, her 2 kids, & Isaac get stranded was (I thought) the best of the season.

It was interesting to learn that the single, female doctor has sons. I wonder which one of these boys will turn out to be the annoying child savant who takes that seat on the bridge now that the black guy has been promoted to chief engineer.