I'm Losing My OEM CERTIFICATION

Gar1eth
This topic is 2399 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Good luck with your procedure, GMan. I hope that you have a cute nurse to ogle!

Be sure to insist on the far-more-accurate rectal thermometer! :D

4436f1182ef9b4d76d879d7b61233921--male-nurse-nurse-humor.jpg

The nurse is adorable. The thought of a rectal thermometer -not so much. But thank you for the thought. (I think. ;)).

Gman

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way for clarification, I did mean I'd post Tuesday on the 'other side' of my surgery. I was not talking about communicating from the GREAT BEYOND!!:p

Gman

Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't at all sure!

And I'm sorry I didn't see this before the start of your surgery, assuming the original schedule was adhered to.

Howdy All- here is all the news that's fit to print from the No More Thyroid Zone!!!

While they supposedly are doing more even total thyroid removals on an outpatient basis, I am admitted. I am considered a high risk patient because of my sleep apnea and my myasthenia. I might even have been kept (if they had been considering discharge-this place is probably more conservative than cutting-edge) anyway as I don't tolerate anesthesia very well. I don't have horrible reactions like some, but I had nausea until around 9 pm. I would have preferred some IV Ativan or oral Phenergan to just enable me to sleep thru it, but Phenergan is often out of favor these days as Zofran is safer but doesn't make you sleepy. :( I'm in a semi-private room. :mad:

Pain right now is minimal-more soreness than anything. I just had my first Percocet.

They didn't do any frozen sections for a quick pathological read as the whole thyroid was coming out anyway. I think there was also one lymph node extracted as well. I don't have a drain. Since I was not really awake when the surgeon explained things, I don't know if more lymph nodes were found. I guess I'll find out the pathology in a week or so at my surgical follow up.

That's about all the news from Lake Thyroid-Be-Gone where all the women are strong, the men all devastatingly handsome (and muscular mustn't forget muscular-many fitness models and bodybuilders:rolleyes:) and no one has any goiters.

Thank you all for sending good vibes.

Gman

Ok this is freaky-I just got up for the first time to visit Mrs. Murphy. I hadn't had on my glasses until just now. The nurse found them for me in with my bundled up clothes. The hospital has hinged glass cases (totally makes the surgery worthwhile. I heartily recommend it if you need a glass case). I put them on and things were fuzzy for a second-I could see things a bit better without them. Then I looked at my nosepieces-not trying to gross anyone out-but mine are usually filthy-they look very clean. I couldn't swear these were my glasses. I mean I'm sure they are, but....

Gman

Hey @Gar1eth,

Glad to hear everything is well in Lake Thyroid-Be-Gone. (Truly L-ed OL at that one) I am sure you will be up and around in no time!

One thing I found out tonight. They wanted me to bring my own BiPap machine. I did. Now I can't find the cord. I always make sure I have it :(. I called the hospital. So far no one has turned one in.:mad:

Gman

Gman, I'm glad you're doing well!! How expensive is the cord? Can one be ordered on Ebay?

I echo @FreshFluff's sentiment. You might try Amazon. The blood-oxygen meter that cost upwards 0f $50 in stores was less than $20.

I looked. I didn't see one on eBay. I'm not at home tonight. I have another machine which is in mostly working order. It's large about 5-1/4 pounds -twice as heavy as my current one And it's missing a little plastic cover over the filter in back-which it seems to me I came across but can't remember where I put it. But I'm sure I can put a little tape over the place the filter goes as make-do.

Gman

Gman, I'm glad you're doing well!! How expensive is the cord? Can one be ordered on Ebay?

On second look, I may have found them on eBay. I was entering my specific machine. I went more generic and looked up Resmed Power Cord. I think I have found two that look like they fit. The problem is they don't list my machine specifically but do list another machine that I believe is in the same series. The descriptions list a CPAP machine. I have a VPAP which I think means it does either CPAP or BIPAP.

Gman

On second look, I may have found them on eBay. I was entering my specific machine. I went more generic and looked up Resmed Power Cord. I think I have found two that look like they fit. The problem is they don't list my machine specifically but do list another machine that I believe is in the same series. The descriptions list a CPAP machine. I have a VPAP which I think means it does either CPAP or BIPAP.

Gman

Maybe email the buyer? If you have a choice, try to find a seller who is close to you and ask him, before you buy, to ship immediately.

Maybe email the buyer? If you have a choice, try to find a seller who is close to you and ask him, before you buy, to ship immediately.

I did. They are both in China. One said no. The other said he didn't know. I'm going to call Resmed in the morning. From the pictures they look like what I think mine looks like. It's just galling when I always try to check that I grab the cord before leaving someplace that I've stayed. And I could have sworn I had it.

Gman

Resmed says the cords I found should work. Hey are simple Figure 8 cords. Their description also says they work on various electronic components. In the meantime, yesterday, I was able to get my other 0lder machine. I'll post their pictures later. I was able to hold the filter in with tape. I'll probably be able to find the plastic cover that's missing eventually. I remember coming across it. But I laid it aside and can't remember where I put it. But even if I can't, I don't see that taping is harming the machine or function, so I might not buy a new one for $12.45 + $12.00 for shipping. :mad:

Gman

I hadn't mentioned, but a relative traveled 1600 miles to be with me. Now the both of us are luxuriating in a Holiday Inn Express and Suites while I recover because this is a lot more comfortable than staying at my place would be (for one thing I only have one bed). This motel is nice, but it's not in an extremely busy area. It's not terribly far from a military base. So I'm sure there are times when this three story place is rocking.

I was at the breakfast today (their cinnamon sweet rolls were delicious, and I heartily recommend them) As I was going down the buffet line, the woman who stocks the buffet was telling a woman who was just ahead of me that there were omelettes. The woman ahead of me said where, and I pointed them out to her, as I was just in front of them. My family member heard the woman say, "These look good. I'm going to take two of these." The two of us made a few pleasant comments toward each other-something about the omelettes had been right in front of her, but she had missed them.

She then went to sit down near the buffet. I was still food gathering. I didn't mean to overhear (I don't think), but a hotel employee came over to the woman and asked her something about her room. The woman replied 123. The hotel employee indicated that couldn't be her room for some reason. The employee asked the woman her name. (I really don't think I was spending more time at the line to overhear this. It all seemed to occur quicker in real time than how it sounds as I write it out.). The woman said the room was under her friends name. The employee asked for the friend's name. The woman said "Brad". The employee asked for Brad's last name. The woman said she didn't know it. After that the employee went towards the office. I went to sit down and told my relative what I had heard. As I was telling my relative what I heard, we saw the woman load up all the plates she had at her place onto her arms and walk out the door. :(

Gman

I apologize for posting so much about this experience. I know any number of you have had much more serious health problems and more complex surgeries.

But this was an interesting coincidence-

On Tuesday when I was discharged, there was a big headline article in US Today about the opioid epidemic. The person they interviewed had been hooked on Percocet. That's the medication my doctor gave me. The guy in the article says it gives him a euphoric feeling. I've always thought I had an addictive personality. But it does nothing like that for me. The doctor gave me 50 tablets. I was shocked at the amount considering all the publicity lately about the opioid crisis. I don't think I'll need anywhere near that many. I haven't taken more than three a day since getting out. And yesterday I only took either 1 or 1.5 all day. I split the tablet in half.

Now I took a lot more narcotics 10 years ago when I had a broken tibia and had pins put in it. But that hurt a heckuva lot more then this thyroid surgery has.

Gman

Belated and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery and a great path report. I’ll be checking with you soon about about machines. Got the sleep apnea diagnosis just before leaving for this extended asian sojourn. Have to test again with the machines once I get back. Be well my mentor.

Archived