Brief mention about Hitler

bigjoey
This topic is 2326 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, I can't get the whole chapter. However, if you are interested in reading a clearly written book about many of these questions and how little it took to get a country that disregarded Hitler (remember he was not elected by the majority of the people when he became Chancellor) to one that perpetrated the Holocaust and WWII and in many cases with very little effort. It is called "Why - Explaining the Holocaust" and is written by Dr. Peter Hayes. I hate recommending things but it was very interesting, especially if you like things to be supported by documents and figures.

This is one review:

One of the signature strengths of this book is its construction. Each of the eight chapters addresses one of the most-asked questions about the Holocaust — Why the Jews? Why the Germans? Why murder? Why this swift and sweeping? Why didn’t Jews fight back more often? Why did survival rates diverge? Why such limited help from outside? What legacies, what lessons?

The result of this approach is an explanation both broad and deep. Anchored in rigorous scholarship and punctuated with human narratives, the book makes understandable the incomprehensible.

As a member of the general reading public, I’m grateful that this book neither condescends nor complicates. The author is clear in his presentation of information, concise in his style, and compelling in his arguments and conclusions. The book shattered a number of my personal misconceptions and gave me a greater understanding of the political, geographical, cultural, and ideological underpinnings of the Holocaust. Given the current political climate in the our country, the lessons and legacies Dr. Hayes identifies are particularly poignant — we must mind the beginnings.

Fellow classmates at Northwestern University during my undergraduate years describe Dr. Hayes as legendary. He was so popular, in fact, that his classes were nigh impossible to get into. This books shows why."

I visited a concentration camp during a 3 week, many country trip through Europe in 1991. I still remember the AAA travel guide book: Dachau is a pleasant little town... (that has the remains of a concentration camp).

I also went to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam on that trip. Very sobering.