America's Got Talent

RM
This topic is 2423 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just watched the most boring half hour on television. The finals of AGT, where they told us who won. All the talent shows love to spend half the show just to tell us who won. Next time I'll just watch the last two minutes.

Which is actually WHAT I DID, but to be honest I have been watching all season. Although the young winner was talented, IMHO Light Balance or Diavolo should have won. Those were million dollar acts.... Seems that in recent years America is voting for "kids" to win.... I didnt think last years winner was deserving either as she beat out much more talented contestants.

I remember the first couple of seasons there was this big Russian queen I liked but David Hasselhoff and Piers Morgan being homophobes always buzzed him.

One season there was a male pole dancer. One of the judges kept going on and on that he never knew there were male pole dancers and didn't like it.

I think Darci totally deserved to win. She is fantastic.

I didnt say she wasnt good, but in terms of creativity and excitement, she wasnt top for me. I wouldnt pay $100+ cover to see a child with puppets.... Plus the adult contenders spent YEARS honing their craft, and she has only been playing with dolls for 3 years. To me, she robbed the more accomplished contenders.

I lost interest when Puddles Pity Party got booted.

LOL, but I think America loses the concept of the show: to select an act you would want to pay to see on the Big stage. That's quite different than "select your favorite act".

I couldnt sit thru 15 minutes of Puddles, let alone 1.5 hrs show, even with 3 cocktails in me. .

Well JJK that's why there are all different shows in Vegas. Different strokes for different folks. I do think you trivialize her talent though.

On the contrary, she is talented, but undeserving at this point in her life when compared to the other, more accomplished and creative contenders.

Puddles Pity Party has been around for quite awhile and has made videos with Scott Bradlee's PostModern Jukebox. Darci has also been on various talent shows. I believe the show fosters the idea that these are amateurs who they happened to find on their talent search, when it seems, most of the major players each year are professional who have gone undernoticed and who bring a degree of pathos to the show.

Darci is quite a talented singer, for a ventriloquist and Puddles has an interesting voice for a sad clown.

I do believe Darci should be headlining the show in Vegas, which, from what I can gather, a variety show. A few years back a ventriloquist also won, Terry Fator, and he had a show on the strip for quite a bit of time. I am not sure a child headliner is appropriate for Vegas, but who knows, with this exposure, people from all over the country will be coming to see the little girl that can make socks talk.

Ho-Hum, so here we are debating the merits of the AGT winner, but that's exactly what I'M doing. Maybe I'm still a little bummed from last year when Grace something, another child with a disasterous bob and too short bangs won for frantically strumming on her 1-note ukelele and singing original selfie-songs, all of which sounded the same. Note she beat out the Brilliant and Terrific Telepathic Twosome "The Clairvoyants"... WTF ?

So this year we have Miss Darci, a pretty young girl singing as she voices her pals, some lumps of cotton and wool. No doubt she is quite skilled and has a stage presence, BUT underwhelming IMO when compared to the acts that incorporated monster props, modern technology, and an element of danger , and were Dynamic on stage, as opposed to the pretty girl just standing there for 3 minutes....

Now dont call me a hater, because there have been many times when I have enjoyed watching a person with their arm up another persons butt, but that was a whole different Vibe....

Let's just admit it, AMERICA DOES MAKE MISTAKES. Do you need anymore Proof than THIS ? So congrats Darci. You may be a winner to America, but you didnt win MY popular vote.

giphy.gif

well JJK guess you told me. Here's to Trump and Darci! America's choice not JJKs.

Got that right. and you can all line up now to catch her act in Vegas in Nov 13-14 with your $150+ in hand... That's one expensive puppet show.

Oh, and BTW geoffk, if you were one of those that voted Trump, Congrats on that too!

No doubt some of these kids are talented but I don't think they should compete against adults. There should be an AGT competition for people age 16 and up, and a spin-off called America's Got Talented Children (or something like that).

AGREED, that was a point I meant to make, but never did... It just seems unfair some how that these talented and accomplished ADULT acts lose to kids with little experience. It's a popularity contest when it shouldnt be.

"Awwww, that kid is just so cute"....

Well, since we're speaking in facts... The most successful act in the history of AGT is a "puppet show" reportedly worth over $100m in Vegas. Jackie Evancho, who competed as a child and actually did not even win, is also one of the most successful contestants. Also rounding out the list of most financially successful acts are some dogs. Then there is last year's Grace VanderWaal who was signed by Columbia records last year and who's album debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard 200.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/americas-got-talent-contestants-big.html/?a=viewall

Well, since we're speaking in facts... The most successful act in the history of AGT is a "puppet show" reportedly worth over $100m in Vegas. Jackie Evancho, who competed as a child and actually did not even win, is also one of the most successful contestants. Also rounding out the list of most financially successful acts are some dogs. Then there is last year's Grace VanderWaal who was signed by Columbia records last year and who's album debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard 200.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/americas-got-talent-contestants-big.html/?a=viewall

Yes Terry Fator, a puppet master that spent DECADES perfecting his craft has a long running show in Vegas. Then there's Jackie Evancho, whose claim to fame is being Trumps last choice to sing at his innaguration when he couldnt get a REAL star.... And dog acts belong in the circus.. Grace, the 1-trick pony wont go very far. Perhaps later when she matures and diversifies her music.

Faithfully watching all the episodes this season, my biggest beef was Simon giving standing o's like they were candy. I miss the day when he would only give one when it truly deserved it. Adam Lambert's singing of "Mad World" comes to mind. What set the child puppet act apart was she brought something new each time. Everyone tires of the sing the same style only, dance in the dark only, walk through the legs of my trainer only performances. Plus, she came across as genuine. The girl that came in second will be easily forgotten, and the comic to me was sitcom, not stand-up funny (not a bad thing).

There were alot of acts, like Kechi that were taken all the way for the "story line".... Or the girl with hearing loss. Although they do have a talent, they are NOT a million dollar act... I liked Colin Cloud..

But I felt that many of the more dynamic, interesting and creative acts were let go. Just proves America likes Puppets... Lucky for Donald Trump....

I agree with you. The Trump impersonator and the rockin' keyboard player dude got way too far for what they did, but a snazzy personality or a tear-jerker backstory can take you places. As far as pure voice, I thought the R & B guy was fantastic, and shouldn't have caught so much flak for singing his own song. I intended to audition this season, even receiving my own time to go directly to the AGT stage because the producers found my act to be unique and original. It didn't pan out, as my partner in the duo got cold feet the week of taping. I could say my act wouldn't have made the finals, but then again Sara and Hero did.

Hey smur, maybe consider trading your partner in for a Dog ? Just give him a doggie treat and he will never flake on you.

Archived