Help with symbol meaning

Irtwo
This topic is 2438 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sorry for the tangent but I've got one too. I've been texting with a young guy (early twenties) for quite a while who will sometimes end a statement with "/

I keep forgetting to ask him, and also don't want to feel old and out of date, what it actually means. I know from context that it is not good and he is expressing displeasure, but I can't quite figure out if it's more of an eye roll or a smirk. I can't even figure out how to Google something that contains quotes. Lol

Sorry for the tangent but I've got one too. I've been texting with a young guy (early twenties) for quite a while who will sometimes end a statement with "/

I keep forgetting to ask him, and also don't want to feel old and out of date, what it actually means. I know from context that it is not good and he is expressing displeasure, but I can't quite figure out if it's more of an eye roll or a smirk. I can't even figure out how to Google something that contains quotes. Lol

The charts of emoji symbols I've seen define the forward slash as an indication of confusion. I've seen :/ and :>/, I'm thinking "/ probably also means "I'm confused."

I saw this posting for a gay guy who wrote "sexually, I'm "

Anyone know, does this mean top or does it mean bottom?

How could it possibly mean top?

Kevin Slater

My first thought was "Duh - it means bottom." But then I thought it could be a symbol for someone sticking his mmm-hmm-hmm into someone else's uhh-huh-huh, in which case it would mean he is a top.

That's why I prefer the direct approach.

The charts of emoji symbols I've seen define the forward slash as an indication of confusion. I've seen :/ and :>/, I'm thinking "/ probably also means "I'm confused."

Those are indications of sadness or displeasure. Think of it like ; ); it's a sideways face. The slash is the mouth. One corner is lower than the other.

Learned this from usage by a Twitter friend who's 10 years or so younger than me, so an older member of Gen X. I'm a Boomer. Emoji use isn't limited to millennials.

Those are indications of sadness or displeasure. Think of it like ; ); it's a sideways face. The slash is the mouth. One corner is lower than the other.

Learned this from usage by a Twitter friend who's 10 years or so younger than me, so an older member of Gen X. I'm a Boomer. Emoji use isn't limited to millennials.

The postings from 2005 through 2011 in the social media forum at the below link suggest the meaning is actually a mixed bag. This is very confusing, I think I'll stick to the animated ones. :p

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/what-does-mean-28545531/

The postings from 2005 through 2011 in the social media forum at the below link suggest the meaning is actually a mixed bag. This is very confusing, I think I'll stick to the animated ones. :p

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/what-does-mean-28545531/

I finally got around to asking him. My particular friend is using it to mean confusion. He uses a quote instead of a colon to indicate scrunched-up eyes.

Since the sentence starts with "sexually" he's mostly likely referring to what he does sexually. The down arrow in that context in many English speaking gay communities means "bottom." So, he's saying he prefers to bottom sexually.

As many have said, the forward slash tends to mean confusion in many English-speaking online and texting communities. The use of quotes before it would be scrunched eyes, so I'd interpret it as "very confused."

* These translations brought to you by a dad who has to understand nearly 100% emoji based convo's sometimes.

Some fun books on my bookshelf

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/books/review/wordplay-emoji-slang-puns-language.html

My thought would be "Sexually, I'm unwilling to ask for what I want in words that everyone will understand. I want to be all-shy and ask for what I want using symbols that only certain people will understand."

Archived