Steamrooms

sniper
This topic is 2480 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is it just me, or are more and more guys throwing all caution to the wind lately in regard to gym steamroom shenanigans? I've been kind of taken aback by what I've walked in on recently - like 3ways in full view of the door when the steam was not that thick, etc.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DeepSouthDad53

Not sure where you are and what type of place this is, but the scenario you depict is nothing new. I have lived in many southern cities, and that was a typical stemroom scene in YMCAs in the 90s.

NYC and surrounding burbs. I know there's always been occasional action, but people used to be a lot more cautious it seems. Now I'm seeing guys wanting me to go down in them when the cleaming guy is right outside the damn door. Or starting to grab themselves hoping others will do the same when it's pretty clear some of the guys in there are not down for action and might actually get them thrown out.

Is it just me, or are more and more guys throwing all caution to the wind lately in regard to gym steamroom shenanigans? I've been kind of taken aback by what I've walked in on recently - like 3ways in full view of the door when the steam was not that thick, etc.

LA Fitness in FTL the steam room is surprisingly cruise-y with little concern for discretion, or what others might say or think. Watching everyone coming and going, even at mid-day, is kinda funny to me. I get that we have a large gay population here, so there is a lot of acceptance, but still...

NYSC is nicknamed NY sex club. I used to be a member, but while the steam room was super cruisy, the actual branch was not very clean, and one janitor was a virulent homophobe and tired to get guys thrown out all the time, even when they weren't doing anything. As I started using a gym more for legit reasons, I switched and paid the extra to join Equinox. My branch can be cruisy, but way more discreet than NYSC, and the element of surprise makes it more exciting for me. Can never do much more than handjobs there due to the layout and the amount of non interested guys, but I have never been in a steam room yet where there isnt usually something going in if the opportunity presents itself. Also have noticed some straight guys are curious about watching even if they dont participate..... I would proceed with caution tho, and never instigate anything unless you're getting a sign-not worth the embarrassment of being thrown out! Some days I go and nothing happens, and then one instance was super hot as later in the evening there were about 12 hot guys in there all doing a circle jerk and a reach over, and one couple were blowing each other. That was a one-off tho!

Like I said, it's an upturn in lack of discretion I've noticed. And these places do throw people out from time to time- you can tell by whether they've taken the time to post a sign that says "inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated" or some such.

I'm like, dude, if there's someone who came into the steamroom wearing underwear or a bathing suit, that's a pretty clear sign you should NOT be carrying on in front of them.

The key is discretion-I don't think most guys care what goes on so long as you don't involve them, make them feel uncomfortable or leave a mess! A lot can be gained by observing and looking for signs. Guys that come in and sit as far away as possible wrapped in three towels, or refuse to make eye contact are obviously just there for the steam!

Back in the late 90's the Bally's Fitness in NE Detroit closed their steamroom because of all the antics (which I was a contributor to). I suspect there was one janitor who was key in getting it closed. There was another steamroom in the shared men/women area that stayed open, but the one inside the men's locker room became a storage room for mops & buckets.

NYSC on 23rd and 8th or 15th and 8th did, in fact, completely close their steamroom because it was getting out of hand. And a friend in Boston says that happened at one of the BSCs up there.

As did Crunch on 54th street...big sign stating it would close if behavior continued to be inappropriate. Guess it never got better.

when i was a member of the (now closed) David Barton clubs in NYC, sometimes i got the impression that some of the guys spent more time in the wet area(s) than the gym...

found a real need to devise a strategy to compartmentalize - be serious about my workout and not deal with the lure of the steam room - after the closing of DBG i found refuge in some cross-fit gyms and a new "boutique-ish" gym where such stuff isn't going on - the cruising remains ON the gym floor, hehe - and i feel a bit better about it (as do my pecs and traps, hehe!)

when i was a member of the (now closed) David Barton clubs in NYC, sometimes i got the impression that some of the guys spent more time in the wet area(s) than the gym...

found a real need to devise a strategy to compartmentalize - be serious about my workout and not deal with the lure of the steam room - after the closing of DBG i found refuge in some cross-fit gyms and a new "boutique-ish" gym where such stuff isn't going on - the cruising remains ON the gym floor, hehe - and i feel a bit better about it (as do my pecs and traps, hehe!)

Where are all these steamrooms?

Are they in mostly gay-patron gyms? Or gay neighborhoods?

Honestly in my observation the steamroom action is driven less by gay guys than by closeted married-to-a-woman bi guys. Because it's the only place they can go their wives can't follow. (Not saying gays aren't messing around too but the bi guys provide the critical numbers).

But I do observe this more in Manhattan than in the surrounding burbs.

Where are all these steamrooms?

Are they in mostly gay-patron gyms? Or gay neighborhoods?

Honestly in my observation the steamroom action is driven less by gay guys than by closeted married-to-a-woman bi guys. Because it's the only place they can go their wives can't follow. (Not saying gays aren't messing around too but the bi guys provide the critical numbers).

But I do observe this more in Manhattan than in the surrounding burbs.

Archived