Dead phone calls

Kevin Slater
This topic is 2520 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's not a big deal, but a couple times a week I get a call from some unusual area code and when I answer it's just dead air. Should I call back, I get a prerecorded message stating "If you'd like to be placed on a do not call list, press one." Should I press one, I get a message apologizing for the inconvenience and saying it'll take effect in 48 hours. A few days will go by then another such call from another random area code.

Like I said, no big, I'm just curious what's in it for the folk running this mildly annoying game. I used to assume they were validating my number to follow up with some annoying spam call later. I also assume they trolled my number off the net.

Thoughts?

Kevin Slater

Move on.

Maybe they are boiler room scammers churning through telephone numbers every 24 hours.

As for what's in it for them..... seems illogical to most rationale people... but the internet makes us recognize that there are weirdos out in the world who get their jollies from causing potential disruption, or even just wasting others' time. No profit in it for them.... they never even know if it worked.

Across the globe, sitting in their mothers' basements, 45 year old gamers are taking a break, stuffing cheetos into their pimply faces with orange fingers, and giggling over the prospect of wasting your time.

From the FTC: "We don't want consumers to engage in any way with robocallers. A lot of times when you get a robocall you have the option of pressing 1 for more information or pressing 2 to ask to be removed from the list. And in either case, pressing 1 or 2 basically lets the robocaller know that it's a live person on the other line who's willing to engage and that could lead to additional robocalls."

On my landline I get at least 10 per day but I'm not lucky enuf to get the "do not call" part. For the most part I ignore if I don't recognize the number. If it's important there will be a message.

On my cell phone I ignore and the phone tells me "probable scam" based on area code and prefix.

It's not a big deal, but a couple times a week I get a call from some unusual area code and when I answer it's just dead air. Should I call back, I get a prerecorded message stating "If you'd like to be placed on a do not call list, press one." Should I press one, I get a message apologizing for the inconvenience and saying it'll take effect in 48 hours. A few days will go by then another such call from another random area code.

Like I said, no big, I'm just curious what's in it for the folk running this mildly annoying game. I used to assume they were validating my number to follow up with some annoying spam call later. I also assume they trolled my number off the net.

Thoughts?

Kevin Slater

I'm getting between 1 and 5 of these calls every day on both my landline and cell phone, both of which are the do not call list, and have been for years. Whats most annoying is that they are almost all US-based numbers, and on my cell phone, there's no way for me to distinguish one of those calls from that of a client, if it's a client I've not spoken with before. I'm concerned about missing client calls and the possibility they will not leave messages, but I frankly don't want to allocate headspace to answering multiple calls a day, knowing most will be bullshit.

I'm getting between 1 and 5 of these calls every day on both my landline and cell phone, both of which are the do not call list, and have been for years. Whats most annoying is that they are almost all US-based numbers, and on my cell phone, there's no way for me to distinguish one of those calls from that of a client, if it's a client I've not spoken with before. I'm concerned about missing client calls and the possibility they will not leave messages, but I frankly don't want to allocate headspace to answering multiple calls a day, knowing most will be bullshit.

Ahhh. Perhaps that's why I see so many guys say in their ads that text is preferred.

The methods to spoof numbers, avoid the blocking and unwanted call technologies are ever-developing. It's a see-saw race.

I regularly see phone calls from my local area code that, if I choose to answer, are from nowhere nearby, maybe not even this continent.

Latest trick.... I can't tell if they're spoofing or just otherwise creative.... I get calls from a local number with what appears to be a reasonable local name in the caller ID.... but its a robo-call.

The weirdest is to get calls from my own name and number.... although its been a year since that happened.

Thank God my cellphone is not yet getting the robo calls. I get them on my landline all the time. I have had one for over ten years saying "If your credit card debt is over ten thousand dollars....." Sometimes I have fun with them by pressing the number to speak to someone. If a woman answers I will say something like, "MMM, baby, I bet your pussy is wet right now from playing with it and thinking about cock in it." If it's a guy, I'll say something like, "I know you called me because you want to talk about how much you love cock." It doesn't stop the calls but the reactions I get are priceless.

Thank God my cellphone is not yet getting the robo calls. I get them on my landline all the time. I have had one for over ten years saying "If your credit card debt is over ten thousand dollars....." Sometimes I have fun with them by pressing the number to speak to someone. If a woman answers I will say something like, "MMM, baby, I bet your pussy is wet right now from playing with it and thinking about cock in it." If it's a guy, I'll say something like, "I know you called me because you want to talk about how much you love cock." It doesn't stop the calls but the reactions I get are priceless.

Outstanding!

http://media.giphy.com/media/ZxrpYTevDLmmY/giphy.gif

On my landline I get at least 10 per day but I'm not lucky enuf to get the "do not call" part. For the most part I ignore if I don't recognize the number. If it's important there will be a message.

On my cell phone I ignore and the phone tells me "probable scam" based on area code and prefix.

I wish my cellphone gave me that message.

Archived