Getting your butt anally swabbed...how often?

Mocha
This topic is 2570 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Edit: here's a good link to read that refers more detail what i mean: http://www.aidsmap.com/STIs-will-be-missed-unless-gay-men-have-rectal-and-throat-swabs/page/1420875/

Recently went in for my routine STD check this past week at a new facility. Seems like some places do different things and check more throughly than others etc.

With today's high request for bareback type stuff, I have to wonder how many of "us" get the full std check including throat swab and q tip in the butt (Which checks for Gonorreah and Chlamydia which tends to live in those areas in addition to the urethra)

I ask because I usually get my tests at the urban hospital clinics. It seems like many of the patients are young, "urban" young people or older people who look like they've been "out there" awhile. Perhaps coming in at the time of symptoms. That's not to judge, but I wonder why I don't see more gay White professionals in these type of clinics? I know there's the family M.D. and such people may choose to go to or perhaps they have other networks. But I know for those one usually has to make appointments. Also I've heard of home tests as well, but I've not personally had anyone come out and say they've been home tested.

I ask because people seem to not be discussing these things in detail, and now I'm starting to feel I have to specifically ask people have they had their throat and anal area tested (not verbatim, but you get what I mean). Especially when people ask if I'm d/d free. That means someone can say anything and they'll believe it. It seems the butt swab is given if a man admits he's having sex with men. But what if some of the bi or closeted married men aren't getting their butt or mouth checked and passing on STIs to other male partners?

Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I guess it's worth sharing if it's not too uncomfortable to discuss.

I'm a total top. I do not enjoy prostate stimulation as I discovered during prostate exams. Those exams over the years have often induced pelvic pain in me that's lasted for days. Because of that I've occasionally been rimmed but that's about it. But even with the limited 'goings on' down there I still get the rectal swabs every three months when I get checked. Sometimes depending on where I go, I've done the swabbing myself.

But I have to say that if the posters showing how to do it are accurate, I might be in big trouble because there is no swab that is ever going that deep inside me either by me or someone else doing it unless I'm under general anesthesia.

Gman

Never had any symptoms but religiously get every test there is - swaps all around and blood draw - every 90 days or less at a men's health clinic.

The most unpleasant part about the whole ordeal is answering the questions about "how many men have you ....".

Never had any symptoms but religiously get every test there is - swaps all around and blood draw - every 90 days or less at a men's health clinic.

The most unpleasant part about the whole ordeal is answering the questions about "how many men have you ....".

"I stopped counting after my first thousand".

I'm a total top. I do not enjoy prostate stimulation as I discovered during prostate exams.

Gman

I realize this is off-topic, but FYI Gman I thought the same about myself. And then I discovered that skill makes all the difference in the world. Just sayin'. ;)

Not only chlamydia and gonorreah can nest in the ass. As a voracious ass eater, I am always very careful when exploring the area because of the prevalence of HPV. The surprises I found down there are sometimes alarming.

Hate to ask but could you give a brief description of the "things" you look for when you go "in down there"? Thanks.

Hate to ask but could you give a brief description of the "things" you look for when you go "in down there"? Thanks.

Papillomas in different sizes and numbers. One guy, when I strongly suggested him to go to the doctor, told me it was not papillomas but hemorrhoids, imagine the size of that thing.

Papillomas in different sizes and numbers. One guy, when I strongly suggested him to go to the doctor, told me it was not papillomas but hemorrhoids, imagine the size of that thing.

When someone knows they have mountains and peaks in or around their valley, that's the time to prevent access to and just shutdown the backroad to sightseers. There should be nothing in that valley but grassy pastures and still waters. But yeah, people def seem to confuse HPV with hemorrhoids.

As a follow up, I spoke with a friend today about his very topic. I said I wouldn't ask verbatim, but I lied. It actually went well, but I was a bit shocked that he hadn't ever done the test before. He mentioned HPV, like you did, but he wasn't aware that the clap bacteria can exist in the mouth and anal areas un symptomatic and undetected. And because of that, the fuckee can pass on an infection to the fuckor. So it's not always the tops passing shit on, the bottoms can pass shit on too (no pun intended).

Again, sounds scary but knowledge is power. People always mention Prep, but prep is not an antibacterial. It's an antiviral.

When I get my regular STI testing, they give me the swab, a vial, and instructions. I do the actual swabbing in complete privacy in the locked bathroom. I have to imagine that the whole thing would be a lot less comfortable if a doctor or nurse were probing my ass. Yikes.

When I get my regular STI testing, they give me the swab, a vial, and instructions. I do the actual swabbing in complete privacy in the locked bathroom. I have to imagine that the whole thing would be a lot less comfortable if a doctor or nurse were probing my ass. Yikes.

When my doctor chuckles at me wincing in pain over a cotton swab in my rear end..

Priceless!

(I'm a delicate flower, after all)

Archived