Rash of newbie postings making me testy...

MikeBiDude
This topic is 2561 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Apologies in advance for my snarky replies to the huge influx of newbies who resurrect old posts, re-ask old questions, start a flurry of postings.

My bad, it's a grumpy curmudgeonly week here. (everyone know where the "search" box is?)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've personally always disliked the term newbie here when used toward members who have just joined this site. It sometimes comes off as snobbish forum elitism of sorts, which one might find in a college fraternity or similar social setting.

It's possible that new members might resurrect older posts here simply as a method to begin joining in a conversation they're interested in, in lieu of starting new posts on their own which they might not yet feel comfortable doing.

Anyway, just my feeling about it.

Apologies in advance for my snarky replies to the huge influx of newbies who resurrect old posts, re-ask old questions, start a flurry of postings.

My bad, it's a grumpy curmudgeonly week here. (everyone know where the "search" box is?)

Every single one of us on this message board was a "newbie" once.

Just saying....:rolleyes:

What I wonder is if they are really newbies-or if you prefer possibly 'novices'-how are they finding posts from years and years ago. I mean it's one thing to find a post from a month or two ago. But how do they know to find one from years in the past?:rolleyes:

Gman

I've personally always disliked the term newbie here when used toward members who have just joined this site. It sometimes comes off as snobbish forum elitism of sorts, which one might find in a college fraternity or similar social setting.

It's possible that new members might resurrect older posts here simply as a method to begin joining in a conversation they're interested in, in lieu of starting new posts on their own which they might not yet feel comfortable doing.

Anyway, just my feeling about it.

I hear you, but I don't consider it snobbish/elitist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie

What I wonder is if they are really newbies-or if you prefer possibly 'novices'-how are they finding posts from years and years ago. I mean it's one thing to find a post from a month or two ago. But how do they know to find one from years in the past?:rolleyes:

Gman

I guess they use the same tools, right? The search box?

And if a search produces results, I suspect (myself included here) we don't always check the date of post in the search result? Hit reply and it's resurrected

Yeah, and the same can be said about internet searches for articles which might apply to or support one's post. Often times the article can be irrelevant due to it being out-dated.

And yet you complained during the thread where I observed that many questions are repeated time and again.

I posit that your problem is not that you are snarky as much as you are a hypocrite.

And yet you complained during the thread where I observed that many questions are repeated time and again.

I posit that your problem is not that you are snarky as much as you are a hypocrite.

Which one are you today?

Archived