My first uber

poolboy48220
This topic is 2253 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

BVB, I can top your news article. Look at the 'background check' Uber did with their driver involved in Tempe AZ fatal crash:

TEMPE, Ariz.—The test operator in the Uber Technologies Inc. self-driving car that killed an Arizona woman was a felon with a history of traffic citations who wasn’t watching the road before the accident happened, facts that raise new questions about the company’s testing process for autonomous technology.

The accident and its resulting disclosures are a potential setback in the progress of self-driving cars and to Uber, which has grappled with a number of problems including legal woes and clashes among its board and investors that led to the replacement last year of its founder and chief executive.

The driver, whom police have identified as Rafael Vasquez, is seen in a video looking down for several seconds as the car moved at about 40 miles an hour, right before it hit and killed a pedestrian.

According to Arizona Department of Corrections records, the driver was convicted and received a five-year sentence in Maricopa County for attempted armed robbery in 2000 and served the sentence concurrently with a one-year sentence for a false-statement conviction in 1999. In 1998, the driver pleaded guilty to driving with a suspended, revoked or canceled license in Tucson City Court and was cited for failing to produce proof of insurance and for driving without a current registration.

Here's an article from the Phoenix Business Journal about a key safety system being turned off on the car involved in the fatal accident last week.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even when a real driver is behind the wheel, Uber has problems!uber%20_OP_2_CP__1522097228381.jpg_38423430_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) - An Uber got stuck after accidentally driving down stairs in San Francisco Monday.

This happened at around 1 p.m. in front of the Safeway at 2020 Market Street.

Police tell KRON4 that it was a "freak accident."

The driver, a senior citizen, was the only person in the car at the time of the accident, according to police.

It's possible the driver thought it was an exit.

I texted the following to the driver before he arrived.

“Come straight thru entrance off xxxxx. Then go straight don't take first left. Main building is straight ahead on left. Circular drive with fountain.

The complex is off of xxxx and yyyyy But entrance is on west side of yyyyy”

Lol and you’re surprised he or she didn’t follow the directions? No wonder they canceled the trip.

“Come straight thru entrance off xxxxx. Then go straight don't take first left. Main building is straight ahead on left. Circular drive with fountain.

The complex is off of xxxx and yyyyy But entrance is on west side of yyyyy”

Gman

Lol and you’re surprised he or she didn’t follow the directions? No wonder they canceled the trip.

I’ll have to disagree. This is really fairly simple. It’s a multi-building complex, and the signage is not done well. Plus Uber’s navigation and Google GPS might occasionally try to take them to a back entrance into the complex where you can’t get in.

Gman

I did my first uber ride last night. I had to drop my car off at the shop and didn't feel like bugging the friends who usually give me a ride to and from there again. Quite pleasant once I got signed up. One oddness - I tried to set up my pickup before I brought the car to the shop (a delayed pickup at 7:15 from the shop), since I knew I'd be there by then. It told me "delayed pickup was not available in that area" (only about 10-15 miles from me). I wonder what that restriction is for?

Other than that, the driver showed up within 10 minutes once I got to the shop and requested the pickup from my current location, and we had a nice chat (in her very-clean car) about our dogs on the way home.

I'm curious - does one tip an uber driver? I've heard conflicting advice on this.

I always tip the Uber driver

Rentmen https://rentmen.com/MikeSinz/reviews/... http://www.daddysreviews.com/venue/usa/florida

https://m.adam4adam.com/?p=MikeSinz.

https://rentmasseur.com/Intosinz