Daniel's Husband

foxy
This topic is 2591 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Daniel and Mitchell are the perfect gay couple. Daniel is a successful architect. Mitchell is a successful author of gay novels. They live in the perfect mid-century modern house that Daniel has designed. They've been together for seven years. The play opens in their living room as they are having after dinner drinks with their friend Barry who is Mitchell's literary agent and Barry's new boy toy. Barry is in his 40's but only likes to date younger guys. Trip is his latest and is 23. Trip works as a home health aide for stroke victims and loves his work. Barry tends to drop his boy toys after a few weeks when he gets bored with them. He has no real idea who Trip is or what he does for a living.

He gets a lot of ribbing primarily from Mitchell who thinks he should date someone his own age. As the party continues the discussion turns to marriage. Daniel desperately wants to get married. Mitchell hates the whole idea of marriage in general. The discussion turns heated.

Daniel's mother turns up the next day for a week long visit. Lydia is an attractive wealthy widow. She loves having a gay son and loves his partner Mitchell. There's lots of funny dialogue throughout the first half of the show. Lots of knowing laughs from the audience. A "small" problem is that Daniel hates his domineering mother. Otherwise things seem happy and life is good.

But, and there's a big but, bad things happen. You think you know where this play is headed BUT you are probably going to be wrong. Can't really say more without ruining the plot. In all likelihood you'll start out laughing. Chances are at the end you're going to be crying.

A great cast in a well written play now in previews at the Cherry Lane Theater. Tickets are available on both tkts and tdf. Highly recommended.

I have to say it was a pleasure avoiding the nightmare of the midtown theater district for a change and enjoying the pleasant ambience of the West Village on such a beautiful spring day. Plus so many good restaurants to choose from.

The play may be great. Perhaps I should see it, but right off I am turned off by the characters. Aren't there less successful gay men out there, having difficulties with relationships and family and career? I would be more interested in this if Daniel was an office worker and Mitchell was a truck driver and the mother had financial problems which are adding to the stress. Perhaps I am describing a totally different play, but I for one, would be more interested in a less stereotypically gay couple. Is it that being privileged in skills and finances is intrinsic to the play. Did the playwright speak from his own ivory tower or was he just using an easy means of eliminating other issues and focusing in on the happenings here?.

I know, I am bashing a play I have not seen and which was well received by the OP, but of all the surprises this play may hold, the status of its main characters is not one of them.

I know, I am bashing a play I have not seen and which was well received by the OP, but of all the surprises this play may hold, the status of its main characters is not one of them.

And this is why a playwright has artistic license to write what they know and/or feel. Go see this play for yourself and then judge it.

Or, better yet, write a play about your own experience. Seriously.

Clearly, you feel strongly about this sort of thing: Art can always use another clear voice.

Archived