How does one petition for an additional forum?

honcho
This topic is 2599 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi all,

A moderator posted this statement in a locked thread:

"When contribution to the Comedy & Tragedy Forum please keep in mind the Guidelines that have been established.

A Forum For the Arts: Literature, Theater, Music, Art, and Dance. No television or pop music please."

I must respectfully disagree with the implication that Television, or pop music is artless. Having gone back to school to pursue an academic degree in music I can report that papers get published in the most respected scholarly journals even about Rap these days, that for a while Jazz was not considered music, and initially German Lieder was considered "Popular" music.

@actor61 might be willing to comment on Television as a variant in comparison with traditional theatre; I'm sure there are difference in scope of appropriate material and execution, but I have to believe there is a lot shared.

I further see such stringent enforcement of rigid guidelines as a form of censorship, something to which we ought

to be very sensitive. While I understand that there may be certainly legal implications for things said here, and

it behooves to not place each other in jeopardy, intellectual discourse is generally not well served by compartmentalization.

If the management insists on this rigid distinction, how do we ask for an additional Forum in which to discuss

popular arts?

Sincerely,

Honcho

You have to lobby Daddy, whose site this is. He gets to decide what fora there are, and the guidelines for their content. That's how the "Comedy & Tragedy" forum was established in the first place. But right now, I think Daddy has other concerns on his mind.

Hi all,

A moderator posted this statement in a locked thread:

"When contribution to the Comedy & Tragedy Forum please keep in mind the Guidelines that have been established.

A Forum For the Arts: Literature, Theater, Music, Art, and Dance. No television or pop music please."

I must respectfully disagree with the implication that Television, or pop music is artless. Having gone back to school to pursue an academic degree in music I can report that papers get published in the most respected scholarly journals even about Rap these days, that for a while Jazz was not considered music, and initially German Lieder was considered "Popular" music.

@actor61 might be willing to comment on Television as a variant in comparison with traditional theatre; I'm sure there are difference in scope of appropriate material and execution, but I have to believe there is a lot shared.

I further see such stringent enforcement of rigid guidelines as a form of censorship, something to which we ought

to be very sensitive. While I understand that there may be certainly legal implications for things said here, and

it behooves to not place each other in jeopardy, intellectual discourse is generally not well served by compartmentalization.

If the management insists on this rigid distinction, how do we ask for an additional Forum in which to discuss

popular arts?

Sincerely,

Honcho

The Lounge has served us quite well for discussions regarding television and popular music.

Much of this came up when folks asked about a Sports forum recently. Any new forum requires more work for Guy and the moderators, and increases the scope of the endeavor in general. When the site goes through upgrades, for example, there may be some tasks that have to be done forum by forum. It may not seem like an awful lot of additional work, but it is still work that we'd be asking others to do free of charge. I planted two new shrubs at the front of my sidewalk last year, and I'm noticing now that my yard guy has had to change his mowing patter to accommodate them and rake under them and run the weedeater around a few more feet of edging.

I'm not sensitive about censorship at all when I've been permitted to participate on a discussion forum provided by others free of charge. It would be like playing football on the neighbor's front yard and objecting because you can't swear, yell, litter, or wear cleats. It's impressive that we actually have political and arts forums as well as a catch-all lounge forum. Many enthusiast-operated special interest social media forums rigidly align to a single interest, not allowing for topic drift within the forum and not providing subforums to discuss the world at large with members of the group. These rigid distinctions may amount to censorship, but we don't have a right to be sensitive to it. We're guests here. Also, I've observed that when it comes to social media, intellectual discourse is served well by compartmentalization and some rigidity.

I get the impression that the guidelines for the Comedy & Tragedy forum were agreed upon by advocates for the forum at the time of its creation. You might do to better ask if there could be a discussion about revisiting those guidelines.

I think that because so many other types of "art forms" has begun to be encapsulated into television a separate forum that discusses television produced forms could be feasible. And it appears that this will increase, not decrease, in the future. So, while Literature, Theater, Music, Art, and Dance can be discussed in one forum, television and its various subspecies can be discussed in another. The person that starts a thread will just have to state what network the post is discussing.

If you look at what is currently in "Comedy and Tragedy", you will find that the restrictions have been flaunted for some time. There are threads about Stresand tickets, Joni Mitchell, Bette Davis, and thread about Russell Tovey which seems to exist solely for posting adorable pictures of the handsome actor. I used to get my skirt in a bunch every time one of these appeared, now I find myself reading, and on occasion contributing to them. I think the original intent was to find a forum for the arts, and those definitions have become broader. Joni Mitchell may not sing or compose Opera, but she is an artist of very high caliber. Bob Dylan just won the the Nobel Prize for literature. However, I will cut a Bitch, if anyone tries to post about Taylor Swift in there.

I'm not sensitive about censorship at all when I've been permitted to participate on a discussion forum provided by others free of charge. It would be like playing football on the neighbor's front yard and objecting because you can't swear, yell, litter, or wear cleats.

+1 many times to this. I hate seeing 'censorship' thrown around when it's a case of someone not providing you a place to express your views, as opposed to actively preventing you from expressing those views at all.

Although not explicitly so, film is also excluded from the Comedy & Tragedy forum. I think a new forum for Film & Television would be useful, since there is a significant overlap between the two. Or perhaps 'Video', which would encompass both. 'Film' per se hardly exists anymore with the demise of 35mm,

although we still have 'film' festivals which present entirely digital content.

Archived