When we rise

Atlantagaguy
This topic is 2630 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Missed the first episode but caught most of last night's episode.

Dramatically, the time line is so compressed that it loses a little bit of impact for me. But that's a fairly minor quibble.

On the other hand, there is history there I didn't know at all, and most of the actors are pretty talented. So I'll keep watching and try to track down the first episode.

Wonderful that there is such a show. And it wouldn't be balanced without both male and female couples. I confess my prejudice that I wish it were just male couples. I still have much to learn about relationships, obviously. There. I feel better. It's Lent, so confession is good for the soul.

Missed the first episode but caught most of last night's episode.

Dramatically, the time line is so compressed that it loses a little bit of impact for me. But that's a fairly minor quibble.

On the other hand, there is history there I didn't know at all, and most of the actors are pretty talented. So I'll keep watching and try to track down the first episode.

i think it is available ON DEMAND...... i need to binge watch the series!

Having lived through much of this as an observer, I was brought to tears several times thinking of how hateful and intolerant most of America was. It is very much better but obviously, there is far to go.

Having worked in Greenwich Village during the early AIDS era, I found that section particularly difficult to watch. My sense of frustration at the time returned, The insecurity and fear returned and the sadness over human lives lost all being relived on screen, made my stomach ache and my heart break. So many beautiful young lives cut short. RIP my friends and my brothers.

My sense of frustration at the time returned, The insecurity and fear returned and the sadness over human lives lost all being relived on screen, made my stomach ache and my heart break. So many beautiful young lives cut short. RIP my friends and my brothers.

Amen, and thank you brother.

I mentioned it on another thread...

I liked it, but the first two episodes were better than the later two. Too much focus on Washington protests and marches and not enough intimacy among characters. In the finale, for example, I liked how the heterosexual daughter got her lesbian mothers to propose except the two never really kissed or held hands on screen. You weren't certain if they were merely sisters. Episode 1 showed quite a bit more, even though everybody was "in the closet". Yet there was plenty of caution: heterosexual making out on every other TV show is always more explicit. The producers didn't want to turn off too soon the "I don't want to see such deviant behavior on my TV" crowd.

Since I have to be cautious about "politics" here, I do want to casually mention that the strongest image was that of a presidential helicopter (won't mention who and what party) flying high over the AIDS quilt in a quick "don't want to deal with it" getaway. Politicians of both parties were shown with flaws though.

Having watched from the start I am reminded of so many thing and so many people.

With what is going on with the current white house I find myself going back to this passage from Maya Angelou's

award winning poem "Still I Rise"

You may shoot me with your words,

You may cut me with your eyes,

You may kill me with your hatefulness,

But still, like air, I’ll rise.

I will rise . . . .

Archived