I'm Not Howard Hughes...

Gar1eth
This topic is 2656 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ok maybe I am. ;)

I bit my (finger)nails for over 30 years. It was probably mainly a stress response. I'm sure I did it without even noticing sometimes. Well I've mostly stopped doing it. (Thank you for your paeans of approbation over the struggle I went through. Yes, I know I deserve them. But they are still very flattering and much appreciated. )

Since I've stopped biting them, I'm mildly amazed at how fast they grow back. (If only my hair would do that. :(). I'm not very fond of seeing guys with even slightly long nails (although I'm probably one of them at times). On the other hand I notice a lot of men trim them to a level below the fingertip. When mine are extremely short like that my fingers hurt. I need to be between the two extremes.

Gman

...Thank you for your paeans of approbation over the struggle I went through. Yes, I know I deserve them. But they are still very flattering and much appreciated. ...

See, I told you the benefit concert and telethon to raise awareness would help you.

Playboy magazine (circa 1960) said that the proper length for a man's fingernails was short enough so that they didn't show above the fingertips when looking at the palm side of the hand. At the time I still bit my nails down to the bloody quick and would have killed for any nails at all. I managed to break the habit in college when I took up cigarette smoking instead. That I traded for smoking pot in 1968. Not much change since.

Playboy magazine (circa 1960) said that the proper length for a man's fingernails was short enough so that they didn't show above the fingertips when looking at the palm side of the hand.

I understand Playboy's suggestion. But that is just a tad too low for me. That's the point where the tips of my fingers hurt. Of course maybe I'm just supposed to 'man up' and endure the pain.

At the time I still bit my nails down to the bloody quick and would have killed for any nails at all. I managed to break the habit in college when I took up cigarette smoking instead. That I traded for smoking pot in 1968. Not much change since.

While I'm glad to hear you broke your fingernail biting habit, this wouldn't have worked for me. I can't stand the smell of marihoochee. Six months or so back though I was going thru such a stressful time, I thought my feelings had overcome my "nasal" repugnance. I went to what I thought was a non-medical dispensary in Tacoma. After I entered, I got the feeling it was more of a smoking establishment (if such places exist). The reek of the place sent me packing toot sweet. I never even saw anyone in the foyer of the building. If I had been around in 2011/12 when Washington voted on it, I would have voted No, and the main reason would be I didn't want to smell it.

Gman

This is meant to be a light-hearted exchange, I think, but I remember the physical pain, bullying and shame I endured from onychophagia. I was a budding artist, but couldn't draw when anyone watched me due to the ugliness of my hands. My heart goes out to the young @Gar1eth, too. I quit by smoking instead and raw determination. How did you do it?

This is meant to be a light-hearted exchange, I think, but I remember the physical pain, bullying and shame I endured from onychophagia. I was a budding artist, but couldn't draw when anyone watched me due to the ugliness of my hands. My heart goes out to the young @Gar1eth, too. I quit by smoking instead and raw determination. How did you do it?

I'm not sure I had it as bad as you, @glennnn. I never made my fingers bloody. And there were periods when I didn't bite at all/bit very little just as now that I'm not a biter-I occasionally bite without having to do it all the time.

Gman

I find I must keep my nails super short, which I realize you can't do, or I start picking, and chewing at them. I trim at least once a week.

Possibly it helped that I wasn't exclusively a nail biter. I've always chewed on my pens and pencils. I also find that as I am getting in my car, if my hands are full, my ignition key is clenched in my teeth. I keep wondering what my saliva is doing to the inside of the key ignition.

Gman

Or rather what my saliva was doing to the inside of my ignition. Last Saturday a guy ran a stop sign and t-boned me.

http://Dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zq2f5nc1zxjdrae/File%20Feb%2012%2C%202%2009%2006%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

The insurance company is considering the car totaled. It's a 2007. He said the estimate to repair was $6200. Unfortunately if they only give me $1500 or so for the car, I'm not going to be able to afford to replace it. And to add insult to injury I had just spent over $900 dollars on obligatory engine repair 6 days before and $140 three weeks ago for a new battery.

Just call me Joe Bftsplk.

http://bookofjoe.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/joebtfsplk_1.jpg

Gman

Ok maybe I am. ;)

I bit my (finger)nails for over 30 years. It was probably mainly a stress response. I'm sure I did it without even noticing sometimes. Well I've mostly stopped doing it. (Thank you for your paeans of approbation over the struggle I went through. Yes, I know I deserve them. But they are still very flattering and much appreciated. )

Since I've stopped biting them, I'm mildly amazed at how fast they grow back. (If only my hair would do that. :(). I'm not very fond of seeing guys with even slightly long nails (although I'm probably one of them at times). On the other hand I notice a lot of men trim them to a level below the fingertip. When mine are extremely short like that my fingers hurt. I need to be between the two extremes.

Gman

Thank God you're not like him, he was crazy... and the money to make folks shut up and pretend to like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHRLqZFpwzw

Archived