Opinion......When does the clock start and end on a massage session?

Dmitri
This topic is 2657 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I get incall massage sessions in NYC while traveling.....if I go to someone (incall) and my appointment is at 3pm for a 1 hr session....I arrive 5 minutes early.....never earlier since they might have a client just leaving....so I arrive at 2:55pm for my 1 hr session. After meeting the masseur and being shown to the room I change and get on the table.....by now it is 3:05pm.......my question is:

I booked a One Hour Massage session......should the session go all the way to 4pm? Or should the masseur be allowed to finish at 3:50pm to give me time to shower and change so I am leaving at 4pm or 4:05......I know we are paying these guys not just for the massage....but also their time....and they might have someone right after me.......so does the One Hour include arrival time and changing.....doing the massage.....and shower and dressing? Or should we be getting a full 60 minute massage and the arrival time and shower and dressing is on their time? I have masseurs tell me the 60 minutes includes arrival/massage/shower.....which means I end up with about 45 minutes of the hour spent on the actual massage..... Opinions?

I expect the massage to last most of the hour, but I never request to shower at a masseur's place. I show up already clean and I don't mind putting my clothes on and going back home without showering, assuming the masseur did a good job of wiping off any excess massage oil/lotion. I just wash my hands. So maybe it takes me two minutes to get undressed and get on the table and a few more minutes to get ready to leave at the end.

Your question brings up one of my pet peeves, though, and that's masseurs who book clients literally back to back. If a masseur has the stamina to do so that's fine, but he should at least schedule a few minutes of break in between in order to change the sheet on the massage table, go to the bathroom, clean up, etc. Not only does it seem a bit weird to cross another client's path while arriving or departing, but the masseur is clearly cutting the hour short if he is booking back to back clients with absolutely no gaps between them.

I've had many massages over the years as I find them very pleasurable. I do, however, prefer to shower at home afterwards. I have the sense from your post that you may feel 'short-changed' by only 45 minutes of actual massage.

I think it's only polite to arrive early. And if it's at someone's home, I agree that 5 minutes in advance is enough. I also think that it's incumbent on you as the client to dress rapidly at the end and be ready to leave when time is up. I expect the masseur to keep an eye on the time and let me know when time is up.

If this is an issue for you, my suggestion would be to book a longer massage of 90 or 120 minutes. I also enjoy visiting a spa for massage as, usually, you can use the steam room and sauna for however long you wish after you've had the massage.

I appreciate what you both mentioned about maybe not showering after and dressing rapidly after the massage. I need to go back to work after the massage and do need to shower. I notice many masseur ads mention "Shower Available".......should this be taken off your massage time?

There are really two questions here: when does a massage BEGIN, and when does it end (which is what you asked)?

To answer your question, I definitely DO NOT believe that having a drink of water, chatting briefly, and undressing should count as part of the hour (or 90 minutes). Showering is something else; if I go to a masseur's apartment, I shower before I leave my house. If it's in the summer, and I arrive sweaty, I'll freshen up (or shower) before the massage, but I DO NOT expect that time to count as part of the hour.

Recently, a masseur came to my apartment for our first meeting. I offered him a drink, and we sat on the sofa, fully clothed, and chatted a bit, just to get to know each other. His ad was one of these touch-feely, spiritual ads, so this certainly wasn't going to be like other encounters. He was an intelligent, likeable, well-traveled person, and we hit it off. He arrived promptly at 2 pm, and after 15 minutes, he said, "We ought to get started," so we did. After 40 minutes, he said, "I have a rehearsal soon, and I have to leave in ten minutes. I know I still owe you ten minutes, and I'll make it up next time." I said OK (did I have a choice?), and paid him the full amount.

I e-mailed him, telling him that I enjoyed meeting him and liked the massage, but noted that the massage was 20 minutes short, not ten, and he replied that he would give me a $40 discount the next time we met. I mentioned this to friends, and one or two said that the initial 15 minutes spent chatting on the sofa should count as part of the hour. I don't agree with that at all.

One of my favorite masseurs always uses lots of oil during the massage. Obviously, we have to shower afterward, and we enjoy that. But it's not part of the 60-minute massage.

Another favorite masseur comes here every three weeks, and we share a bottle of wine, some of it before the massage, and the rest of it after. We chat for almost an hour before the 90-minute massage, and finish the bottle afterward. Last week we watched Bill Maher after the massage. I wouldn't expect every masseur to spend three

hours with me, but we like it.

My point is: a one-hour massage is SIXTY MINUTES OF MASSAGE, and showering, chatting, or dressing does not count as part of it.

I appreciate what you both mentioned about maybe not showering after and dressing rapidly after the massage. I need to go back to work after the massage and do need to shower. I notice many masseur ads mention "Shower Available".......should this be taken off your massage time?

FWIW my own view is Yes.

The easy way to resolve this problem is to talk to the particular masseur you wish to visit. Explain that you like a full massage for upto 60 minutes but will then need to shower and dress for say 20minutes. He may well quote you a price for 80-90 minutes. If you are very lucky and there is no client booked after you, he might only charge you for 60 minutes.

I would suggest that an initial massage appointment is for an hour, from the moment you enter the apartment to the moment you leave. so given that- five minutes of chit chat and problem areas - undress and go. After a relationship is established then it can be more varied, they will know what to expect from you and vise versa. If you are in a gym and you book at 3pm massage, then know that the massuer has a 4pm. For me personally I arrive on time, quickly undress, rinse off and get going. And when it is done I try to dress quickly and get out - if the massage was good and I will repeat then I will book 90 minutes.

I've noticed recently at several spas that the masseur sets a timer as he walks in to begin the massage, i.e. after the chitchat and after getting undressed. Typically the massage (or whatever) goes on for a few minutes after the allotted time is up. That's much appreciated value!

I would suggest that an initial massage appointment is for an hour, from the moment you enter the apartment to the moment you leave. so given that- five minutes of chit chat and problem areas - undress and go. After a relationship is established then it can be more varied, they will know what to expect from you and vise versa. If you are in a gym and you book at 3pm massage, then know that the massuer has a 4pm. For me personally I arrive on time, quickly undress, rinse off and get going. And when it is done I try to dress quickly and get out - if the massage was good and I will repeat then I will book 90 minutes.

I agree, I also think it's a big no-no to barge in early, as you are likely to disrupt whatever is going on with the previous client. It's particularly bad if the masseur offers sensual massages because clients may be really nervous about being seen by others. If I am early, I send a text message saying that I am early and waiting outside or in the lobby and to let me know when they are ready for me. Once in, you can chat while undressing, and it's highly desirable to get out quickly as well. If you take forever to get out for whatever reason, you are a less desirable client and don't be surprised if it's difficult to get another appointment. Likewise, if the masseur skimps on time and/or aggressively schedules clients back-to-back, you shouldn't go back and simply warn us here :-). If he reaches out to you for another appointment, I suggest polite honesty about what you think the appropriate duration of the massage should be. But, honestly, if this even becomes an issue I don't see how this relationship can flourish anyway and it's simply best to move on.

I don't shower afterwards, I actually like how my skin feels if I wait to shower, but I suspect that spas are a better choice than private masseurs if one absolutely needs to shower afterwards. Or let the masseur know that you'll need 10 or whatever minutes to to shower and ask how that affects the price or the duration of the appointment.

I get incall massage sessions in NYC while traveling.....if I go to someone (incall) and my appointment is at 3pm for a 1 hr session....I arrive 5 minutes early.....never earlier since they might have a client just leaving....so I arrive at 2:55pm for my 1 hr session. After meeting the masseur and being shown to the room I change and get on the table.....by now it is 3:05pm.......my question is:

I booked a One Hour Massage session......should the session go all the way to 4pm? Or should the masseur be allowed to finish at 3:50pm to give me time to shower and change so I am leaving at 4pm or 4:05......I know we are paying these guys not just for the massage....but also their time....and they might have someone right after me.......so does the One Hour include arrival time and changing.....doing the massage.....and shower and dressing? Or should we be getting a full 60 minute massage and the arrival time and shower and dressing is on their time? I have masseurs tell me the 60 minutes includes arrival/massage/shower.....which means I end up with about 45 minutes of the hour spent on the actual massage..... Opinions?

What's the point in asking the opinion of others when the only one that really matters is what you and the masseur have agreed upon?

I want to thank everyone for your opinions and experiences........very much appreciated! I asked for your opinions to see what experiences and expectations you all have since we are all in the same boat of hiring masseurs......from reading thru I got a great overview of what you all expect. My course of action from what I have heard you all say.....is that in the future when booking an appointment I will arrive a few minutes early.......mention to the masseur that I expect at least a 50 minute massage session.....and that I will need 5 minutes to shower before I leave so that I will be out the door on the hour mark.....that way it is a win/win.....I get at least a 50 minute session....get to shower after....and the masseur gets paid in full for his time and has me out the door at the hour mark so he can take his next client.......thank you all again for giving me some perspective! :)

I still don't think you should arrive early because if you leave "at the hour mark" you will have taken more than an hour. Trying to extract the very last minute of your hour and then some makes you a difficult client, just like any masseur trying to rush you in and out in less than 50-55 minutes is sucky and should be avoided. IMHO.

Archived