Sunday In The Park With George

foxy
This topic is 2625 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I first saw this show in 1984 starring Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters. I'm a Sondheim fan and liked the show but didn't actually love it at the time. In 2008 I saw it again with Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell. This time the staging was done with 3-D animation which was I thought very inventive. I liked the show more this time. When I'd heard about the recent 4 performance concert version at City Center it was sold out and I didn't have time to get a ticket. It received great reviews. What intrigued me was that it starred Jake Gyllenhaal. I had no idea he could sing. And he does. Very well indeed.

The show is now coming to Broadway in a limited run from February 11 thru April 23 with Annaleigh Ashford. Tickets are expensive, almost in the Hamilton range and going quickly.

I managed to get a very good orchestra seat for February 26. I'm probably going to be too close to the stage but being too close to Jake Gyllenhaal doesn't strike me as such a bad thing. Looking forward to it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge Sondheim fan, but I hated this show when I saw it with Patinkin (who can love him as much as he loves himself?) and Peters. I found the show boring and over-indulgent. It was one of the only two times I liked Peters. The first was "Dames at Sea." She has ruined more shows for me than anyone other then Lizard Minelli (who only shined when directed by Fosse!). Let the vilifying begin!

I am a huge Sondheim fan, but I hated this show when I saw it with Patinkin (who can love him as much as he loves himself?) and Peters. I found the show boring and over-indulgent. It was one of the only two times I liked Peters. The first was "Dames at Sea." She has ruined more shows for me than anyone other then Lizard Minelli (who only shined when directed by Fosse!)

The only times I have seen Minnelli on Broadway were in "Flora The Red Menace" and replacing Julie Andrews briefly in "Victor/Victoria."

She has done a few other musicals and performed at the Palace. But, Liza has done relatively few Broadway shows. For the record, I am not a big fan, but liked her in "Flora The Red Menace."

Don't forget "The Rink." This was arguably the first time a 'star' used a mike enhancement. Remember when a star could fill the theater with just their voice without amplification? By the way, she reminded me of a trained seal in "Flora."

I am a huge Sondheim fan, but I hated this show when I saw it with Patinkin (who can love him as much as he loves himself?) and Peters. I found the show boring and over-indulgent. It was one of the only two times I liked Peters. The first was "Dames at Sea." She has ruined more shows for me than anyone other then Lizard Minelli (who only shined when directed by Fosse!). Let the vilifying begin!

A kindred spirit! I agree with every single word 100%. Patinkin just drives me bat shit crazy. He takes himself so seriously and is so self indulgent that it's almost a parody. Remember Jon Lovitz and "ACTING!"?? That's what Patinkin makes me think of every time. I made the mistake of seeing him play Leontes in "The Winter's Tale" and he was so bad that it was funny. I speculated to my partner that in rehearsals, when the director realized that there would be no way to rein him in, he just threw up his hands and went for coffee. Peters is just plain awful, and that's probably heresy in the B'way community, but she has ruined lots of shows for me. I hated every fucking second of "Sunday in the Park" because of her and Patinkin. Her Mama Rose was just plain awful, and she was very miscast in "Follies" and "A Little Night Music". The worst thing I ever saw her do, though, was "The Goodbye Girl" with Martin Short. OMG!!! She was adequate in "Song and Dance". Unfortunately, I have wanted to see the shows she is in because of the shows, so I suffer through her performances but it's very painful. As for Liza - she's just plain nuts. I've worked with her and, well, she's just plain nuts!

Don't forget "The Rink." This was arguably the first time a 'star' used a mike enhancement. Remember when a star could fill the theater with just their voice without amplification? By the way, she reminded me of a trained seal in "Flora."

"Flora" was a bit before my time, but there was a show (essentially a one-woman show but with a small "book") called "The Act" - I saw it a few times.... (I specifically remember one great piece called "Arthur in the Afternoon")

As I recall, it was during a period when Liza was having a rather tough time, and many performances had to be cancelled... The run on Broadway was short but the Kander/Ebb score memorable!

"Flora" was a bit before my time, but there was a show (essentially a one-woman show but with a small "book") called "The Act" - I saw it a few times.... (I specifically remember one great piece called "Arthur in the Afternoon")

As I recall, it was during a period when Liza was having a rather tough time, and many performances had to be cancelled... The run on Broadway was short but the Kander/Ebb score memorable!

Trivia: "The Act" was originally intended as a vehicle for Mary Tyler-Moore. There was a huge controversy over Minnelli's performance because of all the lip synching. They kept trying to deny that some of the singing tracks in the dance numbers were pre-recorded but it was very obvious when her mouth was shut while her voice bellowed to the second balcony. She did enough performances to win the Tony, then started calling in sick. Same with "The Rink". Even Chita Rivera got really fed up with her, and it takes a lot to piss off Ms. Rivera. She's a consummate pro and very generous to fellow players.

Trivia: "The Act" was originally intended as a vehicle for Mary Tyler-Moore. There was a huge controversy over Minnelli's performance because of all the lip synching. They kept trying to deny that some of the singing tracks in the dance numbers were pre-recorded but it was very obvious when her mouth was shut while her voice bellowed to the second balcony. She did enough performances to win the Tony, then started calling in sick. Same with "The Rink". Even Chita Rivera got really fed up with her, and it takes a lot to piss off Ms. Rivera. She's a consummate pro and very generous to fellow players.

Brings back amazing memories - at the time I was an Equity Rep... such drama was just part of my day-to-day!

"Flora" was a bit before my time

A few years before "Flora the Red Menace," I saw Judy Garland at Boston Garden (1961). Despite her very troubled life, very few singers could hold the complete attention of such a large audience with just a large orchestra and a mic. Perhaps only Sinatra and Belafonte, circa 1961.

• 3 weeks later...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTgNbk4IBQ

Here's Jake in rehearsal for Sunday in the Park.

Seeing it Sunday afternoon which seems appropriate and from the second row of the orchestra which is even better.

Normally too close to the stage but in Jake's case I'm happy to make an exception.

Thank you for posting this. It is gratifying to see that Jake is not just "stunt" casting to juice the box office. He really can sing this score. I remember when the show premiered there was an interview with Bernadette Peters, and she spoke about Sondheim intentionally writing the score so that it would push the limits of the performers vocal range. His intention in doing this was to give a sense of heightened emotion. I am now despondent that I won't be able to get to NYC to see this.

Today I saw the show. As mentioned previously I saw the original production and then a revival in 2008. I had mixed feelings about the first time I saw it and liked it better the second time. Today I fell in love with the show.

The orchestra is on stage with a draped scrim that falls in front of the musicians. Projections of the art work are put onto the scrim. There are no other real sets except for a few props. Very much in keeping with Encores stripped down peformances. But simple and elegant and doesn't get in the way which is a good thing.

It has a large cast of some serious Broadway performers taking the roles of the people depicted in the painting A Sunday Afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte. Most of the cast tell/sing their stories while we have George Seurat sketching them. All of the performers get to play dual roles for each act.

The second act takes place in modern day at the Art Institute of Chicago where the painting now resides. At the museum the great grandson of Seurat is exhibiting his sculpture a chromolume. This is done with flashing lights that drop down from the theater ceiling. It's quite nicely done and a modern interpretation of pointillism which was essentially Seurat's invention.

The great grandson then goes to Paris to do an art installation on the island where the painting was inspired.

It's a story primarily about a misunderstood, tortured artist and genius not recognized in his lifetime and his difficult relationship with his model and mistress and the world in general. Seurat never sold a painting and died quite young. That's the basics.

Tony Award winning actress Annaleigh Ashford plays Dot the model and Marie the grand daughter of Seurat. She's very, very good. Terrific voice and also has most of the funny lines in the play.

Jake Gyllenhaal is Seurat. His singing is really fine. I was so impressed. His stage presence is striking and intense. Because I was so close, at times only about 8 feet from him, I was totally blown away by his eyes which are like twin lasers. I was mesmerized. It's a shame this show won't be nominated for a Tony because I'm sure he'd win.

Not everyone is a fan of this show. I wasn't but I am now. I think whoever sees this production will change their mind and come to love the show. I'm planning on seeing it again if I can get another ticket.

For anyone in NYC there's a wonderful show at the Metropolitan Museum of Art titled Seurat's Circus Sideshow.

Today I saw the show. As mentioned previously I saw the original production and then a revival in 2008. I had mixed feelings about the first time I saw it and liked it better the second time. Today I fell in love with the show.

Wow. I loved the original show. I saw it just before flying to Alaska for vacation and played the OBC album continually. I liked both the revival and Kennedy Center production much less.

I hope to see this production, if only for Jake.

Curious I went on the Hudson Theater website to see about tickets. They are available but the prices are pretty steep. I paid $199 for row B of the Orchestra. Most of what I found in the same area are going for over $700. $199 is pretty much my limit. Anything more I consider the price of a plane ticket to someplace interesting. I'll probably keep checking but I think I may have to content myself with one viewing. BTW I lingered outside the theater for a bit thinking it might be fun to get my Playbill autographed ( by Jake of course). I never do that and basically consider autographs silly however in this case I would have made an exception. After a few minutes I convinced myself to leave. I've since learned that the stage door is on 45th Street and not on 44th Street which is the theater entrance. Also heard that the cast and Jake are accessible. Hmmmm. I might just hold onto my Playbill and wander over some night after the show.

there was a sondheim birthday tribute maybe around ten years ago at lincoln center- a beautiful, wonderful evening - and it concluded with an amazing performane of "Sunday" - casts of many many shows current and previous assembled to fill the hall and serenade him.... i tear up every time i revisit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBeQNQtYb0

That was really, really beautiful. Certainly put a lump in my throat. Years ago I was at a play, not a musical, and I found myself sitting next to Sondheim. He was with a young man and never looked in my direction (of course, why should he?). All through the show and during intermission I was dying to say something to him. Things as stupid as "here I am sitting side by side". Really, what do you say to a genius and a Broadway legend? I'm sure he's heard every kind of praise from many important people plus a zillion fans. So I said nothing. Still kind of kicking myself but I still can't think of what to say. Which makes me wonder, in my now fantasies of Jake Gyllenhaal, what would I say to him that didn't sound totally stupid or possibly insane? I welcome suggestions just in case I screw up the chutzpah to hang out at the stage door.

I never do that and basically consider autographs silly however in this case I would have made an exception

I treasure Mary Martin's complicated autograph of her record album of "Annie Get Your Gun." Mary not only spelled my name correctly, she signed first as Annie and below as Mary Martin. Mary also talked a little about doing "Annie" on live TV and getting from sound stage to sound stage during commercials.

Archived