Sunday In The Park With George

foxy
This topic is 2625 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Which makes me wonder, in my now fantasies of Jake Gyllenhaal, what would I say to him that didn't sound totally stupid or possibly insane? I welcome suggestions just in case I screw up the chutzpah to hang out at the stage door

See my comments above about Mary Martin. I did not ask her about "Peter Pan," the most obvious question. Do some research and discover what Jake is proud about, but is likely seldom asked.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was really, really beautiful. Certainly put a lump in my throat. Years ago I was at a play, not a musical, and I found myself sitting next to Sondheim. He was with a young man and never looked in my direction (of course, why should he?). All through the show and during intermission I was dying to say something to him. Things as stupid as "here I am sitting side by side". Really, what to you say to a genius and a Broadway legend? I'm sure he's heard every kind of praise from many important people plus a zillion fans. So I said nothing. Still kind of kicking myself but I still can't think of what to say. Which makes me wonder, in my now fantasies of Jake Gyllenhaal, what would I say to him that didn't sound totally stupid or possibly insane? I welcome suggestions just in case I screw up the chutzpah to hang out at the stage door.

I was a rep for one of the performers unions here in NYC and have met mr. sondheim a few times - a true gentleman - and i am good friends with his very long-time personal assistant - he probably would have appreciated and acknowledged your appreciative gesture to him (but the simpler/less clever the better!)

A few years ago I was walking through the theater district and Peter Dinklage was walking towards me. Game of Thrones was at the beginning of its fame. I hadn't watched it at that point but was a big fan of The Station Agent and I had seen him at the Public Theater in a production of Richard III. He was brilliant in both. So as we walked towards each other we made eye contact and his eyes said to me "don't fucking say one word to me". I averted my gaze and walked passed him quickly. In retrospect it's pretty amusing. Sometimes being snubbed by a star is rather fun. I've had it done to me by Lauren Bacall, Angela Lansbury and Gilda Radner. Perhaps a few others. So I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to celebs.

Foxy, thanks for the review. I'm going tomorrow night. I bought the ticket a few weeks ago - N row in the orchestra for $199. Sounds like I got a bargain. Maybe I'll see you at the stage door after the show!

N sounds like a good spot. I was in row B and discovered when I got to my seat there is a raised platform on the stage. It basically cut off the bottom quarter of the musicians. I was worried that this was going to be a terrible seat. I heard a few people complaining to the ushers they weren't warned when they bought tickets. A legitamit gripe. Luckily it didn't interfere with the view of the performers and put me in very close proximity to Jake. I may have alluded to this about 100 times already. I'm starting to think I should keep away from the stage door. I can hear the police now "back away from Jake, back away from Jake"!

Don't forget "The Rink." This was arguably the first time a 'star' used a mike enhancement. Remember when a star could fill the theater with just their voice without amplification? By the way, she reminded me of a trained seal in "Flora."

Preaching to the choir when it comes to classical music, especially in concert, but I don't expect that level of projection from musical theater, where more is going on than just singing.

See my comments above about Mary Martin. I did not ask her about "Peter Pan," the most obvious question. Do some research and discover what Jake is proud about, but is likely seldom asked.

Or go for simplicity and say "thank you, I'm a big fan, and your [performance/previously unknown singing ability] [truly impressed me/blew me away]."

Quick take: Gyllenhaal had moments of greatness. He gave an honest weight to his performance, but perhaps a little too much sadness. His voice fits the character he creates, but something in me misses Patinkin, who's performance in the OBC was stunning.

Annaleigh Ashford, who I've really enjoyed in other productions, is- for me- a weak link and doesn't have the voice to give Dot any depth. Maybe I'm just hearing Bernadette Peters's voice in my head and it's not helping.

Archived