NYC recommendation for night out

MikeyGMin
This topic is 2662 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm taking a young friend to NYC next month and I've only been a couple of times on business. We'll be staying in Hell's Kitchen and will want to go drinking and dancing at least one night. Any recommendations for a bar or club that a 28-year-old will like and my 52-year-old self won't feel awkward?

I would really appreciate some advice. I want this kid to have the trip of his life.

Thanks.

are you looking for just bar/club recommendations?.....or are you also looking for anything that will help.......

I'll take anything that'll help make this a trip he will never forget. He's never seen snow so I'm hoping there will be some, but it won't be too cold. I've seen enough snow in my life! :).

I'll take anything that'll help make this a trip he will never forget. He's never seen snow so I'm hoping there will be some, but it won't be too cold. I've seen enough snow in my life! :).

The age difference is something that no one at Monster will think twice about.

Barrage has a great late-night happy hour. Flaming Saddles can be a lot of fun - the bartenders dance on the bar, which can be hot (Steven has an AMAZING ass) and inconvenient (no drinks for you if they're two-stepping). Hardware is great, though unfortunately Sutton Lee Seymour (a dear friend and amazing drag queen), who usually hosts Musical Mondays, is in PV for the winter. 9 Ave saloon is another favorite of mine - the crowd skews a bit older, but is very, very friendly. I give a +1 to Atlas Social Club and Posh (a favorite of mine - my first place in the city was across 9 Ave). I would avoid Therapy and Vodka Soda/Bottoms Up.

That said, I would HIGHLY recommend venturing out of HK. I like Barracuda in Chelsea, but it might be a bit quieter than you'd want. I would avoid Gym.

The Boiler Room in the East Village is a fun, relaxed place that you and your friend might enjoy. Nowhere Bar and Phoenix are also places you'd probably really enjoy.

The West Village is great not only for the concentration of bars, but also for the history. Stonewall isn't anything special, but it's special, ya know? Monster is really great and Marie's Crisis can be a LOT of fun.

Archived