Olive Oil's Lack Of Taste Is The Thing-It Won't Catch The Attention Of The King

Gar1eth
This topic is 2636 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One thing I love about the adoption and adaptation of classic cuisines like Italian in the US, UK and Australia (and others, I'm sure) is that people are prepared to ignore things that are unthinkable in the native culture but which work. (Of course it doesn't always work!) My, perhaps uninformed, observation is that quite a few, but not all Italian-Americans maintain the taboos (maybe even if practice has since changed in Italy). From what I've seen most Australians of Italian descent maintain a more symbolic link to the cuisine. They may grow a million tonnes of tomatoes each summer and make passata, and even devote a weekend to converting a pig into salami, but they will adapt and adjust what they cook.

That's totally true!

I grew up in Milan and moved to NY when I was 40, but I lived 3 years in London and 10 years in Mexico City prior to that.

Unlike many native Italians who are convinced that Italian food is the ONLY delicious food in the planet I learned to appreciate and love many different cuisines. Bu there are adaptations that Americans and some Italian/Americans make of Italian cuisine that I am a bit allergic to....

When many years ago a friend took me to Olive Garden to enjoy "Italian food" I left with my eyes wide open and never put my foot anymore in there :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perdonami Padre [uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER] perché ho peccato! Devo confessare un gran peccato! Ieri ho cucinato una ricetta di pollo con pasta. So che la ricetta non è autentica, ma mi piace. Tu puniscimi, o Signore ! ;)

Forgive me father Xaf for I have sinned! I must confess a great sin! Yesterday I made a chicken with pasta recipe . I know that it's not authentic, but I like it! God punish me!

Just another example if how we in the USA have altered certain dishes to our own taste.

Also, regarding Mac and Cheese a few years ago I met someone from northern Italy who made a dish that was exactly like good ol' American Mac and Cheese with chunks of ham in it. Not sure how authrutic it was though she did say it was an old family recipe!

Forgive me father Xaf for I have sinned! I must confess a great sin! Yesterday I made a chicken with pasta recipe . I know that it's not authentic, but I like it! God punish me!

Our two countries have followed similar paths in that we adapt recipes, although perhaps with different end points. I too like chicken in pasta dishes, and I often determine what will be in pasta dish by looking at what is in the fridge. Left over roast chicken, chopped (including the skin) and baked with some bacon and sliced onions in an a creamy cheese sauce with penne works for me. One thing that is widely sold in supermarkets here is bottled 'pasta bake' sauces, usually creamy although some tomato based, which you just add to cooked pasta (penne, maccaroni or whatever) and top with grated cheese before baking. Not sure that such a thing has happened in the US.

[uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER] I had to edit my earlier post, I had been going to say we ignore taboos from the native cultures but instead said we ignore things that were unthinkable, leaving the meaning ambiguous. I meant we are happy to break the rules, and I think that was how you understood it, but I had to make my original post clear.

Processed pre-packaged salty this, was a staple in the 60's when convenience was king,

To @Gar1eth, tsk-tsk ;)

518KWosT%2BkL.jpg

What did I tell you [uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER]? Also, this is the processed food against which Eric Hassan and I amongst others warned @FreshFluff a couple of weeks go. Making chili from scratch is so much better. And hey, if you want to add maccaroni to your chili, you don't need a packet of salt and 'flavour' to do so!

What did I tell you [uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER]? Also, this is the processed food against which Eric Hassan and I amongst others warned @FreshFluff a couple of weeks go. Making chili from scratch is so much better. And hey, if you want to add maccaroni to your chili, you don't need a packet of salt and 'flavour' to do so!

I'm didn't even think it was still available? I haven't had a box of it on at least 35 years.

I'm didn't even think it was still available? I haven't had a box of it on at least 35 years.

To be honest I didn't even know it was a thing (it's not here). I had assumed from my minimal google research that there was a generic hamburger helper packet mix to which someone had added a can of beans.

To be honest I didn't even know it was a thing (it's not here). I had assumed from my minimal google research that there was a generic hamburger helper packet mix to which someone had added a can of beans.

http://www.sistersshoppingonashoestring.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/helper_3.jpg

http://www.2wired2tired.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Hamburger-Helper-Walmart.jpg

Shoot! I don't even use chili powder... heck add fresh herbs, your own garlic, and onion, spices, plus cumin and your good to go and without all that added salt!!!!! I was watching the food network yesterday and a guy was making something from scratch... so far so good, but the then decided to add salt... and not just a pinch... I swear he tossed in enough for an entire army, and all that in addition to the already salty ingredients such as cheese etc. Now I know why when I eat at many restaurants I'm drinking water during and for hours after the meal is over!!!

Now, Alfredo, as in Fettuccini Alfredo, when made properly, is heaven

One my culinary irritants is when people talk about "Alfredo Sauce". There is no such thing as Alfredo Sauce. Many years ago I was in Rome with a friend, he insisted that we go to Alfredo all'Augusteo on Piazza Augusteo Imperatore.

This restaurant is owned by the Grand Niece of the creator of the dish. It was prepared table side. Butter was melted in a chaffing dish, damp freshly cooked fetucinne was tossed in the butter and generous amount of Parmigiano Reggiano was added and tossed rapidly and very theatrically until the cheese melted and emulsified wth the butter and coated the fetucinne. Then it was plated. No Cream, No nutmeg, no pepper, no parsley. It was utterly simple and utterly delicious.

Of course, you know, la città degli angeli!

Certo!

One my culinary irritants is when people talk about "Alfredo Sauce". There is no such thing as Alfredo Sauce. Many years ago I was in Rome with a friend, he insisted that we go to Alfredo all'Augusteo on Piazza Augusteo Imperatore.

This restaurant is owned by the Grand Niece of the creator of the dish. It was prepared table side. Butter was melted in a chaffing dish, damp freshly cooked fetucinne was tossed in the butter and generous amount of Parmigiano Reggiano was added and tossed rapidly and very theatrically until the cheese melted and emulsified wth the butter and coated the fetucinne. Then it was plated. No Cream, No nutmeg, no pepper, no parsley. It was utterly simple and utterly delicious.

Yes, that's the way it is made today in Italy because the original recipe never caught On there. It is also the way my mother did it... so simple... pasta al burro with lots of parmigiano. I have gone to establishments where variations of the originsl recipe with cream and nutmeg are prepared in front of you. So technically the "sauce" no matter what the recipe is quickly thrown together... unless you are going to buy it in a jar that it! ;)

http://www.theglamorousgleam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/chicken-alfredo4.jpg

As I have noted when Italian recipes are so simple they require the finest ingredients. If you are going to make it at home PLEASE do not use Kraft® Parmesan cheese in the green container! :eek: With or without the flavor lock cap!!! Interestingly if you read the label there is probably more cellulose (wood chips) than cheese in the product!!!

http://assets.kraftfoods.com/ecomm/kraft-recipes/product-image/640x428/205_00021000010615.jpg

Processed pre-packaged salty this, was a staple in the 60's when convenience was king,

To @Gar1eth, tsk-tsk ;)

518KWosT%2BkL.jpg

I actually don't remember Hamburger Helper until the 1970's. I'm not even sure if this variety-Chili Macaroni-is still extant. My mother made a similar dish for years both with and sans the mix.

@MikeBiDude -mix or not-I'll tell you it's delicious. As for chili, we already had a discussion on what a great mix this is.

http://www.carrollshelbyschili.com/images/product_chili_kit.png

Gman

I actually don't remember Hamburger Helper until the 1970's. I'm not even sure if this variety-Chili Macaroni-is still extant. My mother made a similar dish for years both with and sans the mix.

@MikeBiDude -mix or not-I'll tell you it's delicious. As for chili, we already had a discussion on what a great mix this is.

http://www.carrollshelbyschili.com/images/product_chili_kit.png

Gman

Gman, You are correct! Goes to show how memories work....I was picturing Hamburger Helper being served by my mom in a particular house, a home I associate with and lived in through the 1960's. Point of fact we didn't move from that home until 1973 and voila see below:

The first packaged meal kit was most likely Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, created in 1937. Hamburger Helper was introduced in 1971 in response to a meat shortage and escalating meat prices. Hamburger Helper allowed homemakers to stretch a single pound of hamburger into a meal for five.

http://www.foodprocessing.com/articles/2007/003/

P.S. I'd try that Shelby's Chili seasoning

Perdonami Padre [uSER=3916]@xafnndapp[/uSER] perché ho peccato! Devo confessare un gran peccato! Ieri ho cucinato una ricetta di pollo con pasta. So che la ricetta non è autentica, ma mi piace. Tu puniscimi, o Signore ! ;)

Also, regarding Mac and Cheese a few years ago I met someone from northern Italy who made a dish that was exactly like good ol' American Mac and Cheese with chunks of ham in it. Not sure how authrutic it was though she did say it was an old family recipe!

@whipped guy you are forgiven. Just sing 4 times "O Patria mia" with pianissimo high C and you will be fine.

I guess that dish is more or less what I make and it's similar to Mac & Cheese, that's why I like the American dish.

It is authentic and it's called "Maccheroni al gratin".

Made with simple béchamel (besciamella...), smoked provola (or smoked mozzarella), chunks of prosciutto cotto (not exactly ham..) and of course parmigiano cheese, bread crumb on top and slam it in the oven!

http://www.oddmag.it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pasta-al-gratin.jpg

@whipped guy you are forgiven. Just sing 4 times "O Patria mia" with pianissimo high C and you will be fine.

I guess that dish is more or less what I make and it's similar to Mac & Cheese, that's why I like the American dish.

It is authentic and it's called "Maccheroni al gratin".

Made with simple béchamel (besciamella...), smoked provola (or smoked mozzarella), chunks of prosciutto cotto (not exactly ham..) and of course parmigiano cheese, bread crumb on top and slam it in the oven!

http://www.oddmag.it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pasta-al-gratin.jpg

Yes the dish was a variation of what you post!

Regarding "O patria mia", I did manage the high C in falsetto, but I cracked the fourth time around. So in compensation I played the following four times! I hope that absolves me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oorskfs1-r8

Archived