Olive Oil's Lack Of Taste Is The Thing-It Won't Catch The Attention Of The King

Gar1eth
This topic is 2637 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the olive oil. Some oil that's labeled as "Extra Virgin" is actually oil derived after many, many presses or isn't even olive oil. I find Trader Joe's to be the best of "mainstream"oil and World Market's is good, too. There are plenty of high-end varieties that are also very good.

I have posted here about high quality extra virgin olive oil! Yes, it's like a fine wine!

http://www.companyofmen.org/threads/a-culinary-question.107209/page-3

There are as many different types and flavors as there are wine. Plus, the flavor varies from season to season. I like a fruity taste with a pungent after bite. Some unfiltered extra virgin oils have that property.

For the record as alluded to above in a pinch olive oil from Trader Joe's is quite good. However, one needs to read the labels to see the source of the olives. There is a California Estate EVO that I find to be quite tasteless. There is also a generic EVO whose olives are sourced from a variety of counties similar to what one can buy for less in any supermarket under Italian sounding labels such as Bertoli and Filipe Berio. They may be packed in Italy, but they are not fully Italian and no Italian in Italy would probably purchase such a product. The two best Trader Joe's EVO's are Trader Giotto's 100% Italian President's Reserve EVO and Trader Giotto's Sicilian Silezione EVO. Both have a fruity flavor and a bit of a bite afterward. Not the best that I have experienced, but quite acceptable and actually well beyond that compared to what generally passes for EVO.

When I am at the Northern location I am fortunate to have a great source for EVO as noted in the post linked to above. Other than chancing various specialty brands when at the Southern Command Post, I have found Trader Giotto to offer great quality for the price.

Bottom line... no matter what type of olive oil you purchase make sure it is COLD PRESSED. If not you run the risk of carcinogens bring part of the mix! EVO by definition should be cold pressed, but buyer still beware. Not all that's shipped here is the good stuff... or even authentic.

IMO, olive oil is like wine. No two taste the same. Some are great for dipping your bread, others are dreck.

I agree 100%. Some olive oil is so flavorless that it's like dipping bread in regular vegetable oil - blech! But a good hearty bread dipped in a great olive oil with a bit of salt ... the clouds parted and the angels burst into song!

As far as I'm concerned it is NOT a matter of one or the other (Olive Oil/Butter). I absolutely love them BOTH. They are, of course, different and I use them differently. I would certainly NEVER attempt to make a wonderful hollandaise using olive oil or an outstanding vinaigrette using butter.

I don't like it much on its own for dipping, but with balsamic vinegar I can't get enough

I could almost take the balsamic vinegar by itself. I only need a very small amount of olive oil, if at all, to decrease the vinegar's sharpness by a tiny amount.

Olive oil is vegan, butter is not.

-0S-

I guess that might matter to me if I were vegan, but I'm not. I won't say I'm militantly anti-vegan. But I wouldn't knowingly go to a vegan only restaurant to eat.

Gman

I don't want to blow my cover here, but on occasion I have been known to bake cookies... not often but on occasion. I have a mandel bread recipe that calls for vegetable oil. Well, the only oil that I had in the house was a very pungent EVO. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they never tasted better. Plus, they were heart heart healthy as well!

Mandel bread is a twice baked cookie that most likely originated in Italy from the Jewish population in the northern part of the country and is virtually the same as Italian biscotti. Using my Italian EVO in the recipe only proved to reinforce the connection between the two and I'll bet was probably part of the original recipe before it made its way to Eastern Europe.

I don't want to blow my cover here, but on occasion I have been known to bake cookies... not often but on occasion. I have a mandel bread recipe that calls for vegetable oil. Well, the only oil that I had in the house was a very pungent EVO. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they never tasted better. Plus, they were heart heart healthy as well!

Mandel bread is a twice baked cookie that most likely originated in Italy from the Jewish population in the northern part of the country and is virtually the same as Italian biscotti. Using my Italian EVO in the recipe only proved to reinforce the connection between the two and I'll bet was probably part of the original recipe before it made its way to Eastern Europe.

I've always thought they were similar. In fact I said something about this to my Mother about two weeks ago. I think she had some in the freezer and wanted to know whether I'd like her to defrost some. I told her no because I don't like mandel bread. I told her it reminded me of biscotti, and I didn't like biscotti either because it is too dry. Possibly I'd like it better if I dunked them in tea. But to tell the truth, even though I like hot tea, unless I'm in a really cold weather environment, I don't drink a lot of hot drinks. I'm more likely to get my caffeine, if I need it, from energy drinks.

Gman

"You can never have too much butter"...:D

I found this movie to be on the edge of repulsive. I felt the portrayal of Julia Child to be alcoholic nincompoop objectionable. She might have been, but she brought decent cuisine to a country where salt and pepper were almost considered heretical.

While I'm on it: Has anyone else tried Morton and Bassett herbs and spices? A tad more expensive, but oi! The flavor!

I've always thought they were similar. In fact I said something about this to my Mother about two weeks ago. I think she had some in the freezer and wanted to know whether I'd like her to defrost some. I told her no because I don't like mandel bread. I told her it reminded me of biscotti, and I didn't like biscotti either because it is too dry. Possibly I'd like it better if I dunked them in tea. But to tell the truth, even though I like hot tea, unless I'm in a really cold weather environment, I don't drink a lot of hot drinks. I'm more likely to get my caffeine, if I need it, from energy drinks.

Gman

Well mandel bread does freeze well. Also, I find most biscotti to be hard and dry... the perfect vehicle to crack a tooth. Therefore I tread lightly with biscotti. However, at least the last few times I have made it mine have had a sandy quality that made them easilty disintegrate and were tooth friendly and even when removed from the freezer. I wonder if the amount of oil has something to do with it as that would make things a bit "short"... but short as in "shortnin bread" where large quantities of butter are used... not short in stature. ;)

You know, olive oil can be used as a great lubricant for, um, deep in the throat. I'm not sure if I want that good quality EVO with the nutty flavor or the run of the mill with no flavor. Depends on whether or not there has been pineapple in the diet recently!

You know, olive oil can be used as a great lubricant for, um, deep in the throat. I'm not sure if I want that good quality EVO with the nutty flavor or the run of the mill with no flavor. Depends on whether or not there has been pineapple in the diet recently!

Leave it to funguy to drag this culinary discussion into the gutter... Personally I would go for the "nutty flavor" of a high quality EVO. I have never tried the combination as I have never thought of having some EVO as a part of my trusty bag of tricks. However, I always have EVO on hand at home and next month I will be getting a special visitor. Frankly he tastes perfect the way he is, but adding a bit of nutty flavor to his nuts and what ever else might just be what the doctor ordered... so thanks to Dr. Funguy for the suggestion!

60 Minutes recently did a story claiming that, due to mafia control of the export business, 80% of all olive oil imported from Italy is tainted with inferior oils and chemicals designed to mimic the taste of real olive oil. I'm sticking primarily to California product, although I very much like the Kalamata Olive Oil from Trader Joe's.

60 Minutes recently did a story claiming that, due to mafia control of the export business, 80% of all olive oil imported from Italy is tainted with inferior oils and chemicals designed to mimic the taste of real olive oil. I'm sticking primarily to California product, although I very much like the Kalamata Olive Oil from Trader Joe's.

As noted when up north I have a connection where I know for sure that the oil is the real deal. The Italians keep the good stuff for themselves and ship the garbage here to the stupid Americans! Walk by any Italian kitchen in Italy and you will get an aroma that you don't quite experience in the USA unless you are using the good stuff.

Quick story: years ago I purchased some EVO from my usual source. I got it home and it tasted like motor oil. I went back to the store and had the owner who I personally know taste it and he was irate because he had gone to Italy to taste the product prior to purchasing it. His immediate response upon sampling it was, "Son of a bitch! They pulled the switch!"

He then personally made friends with the owner of Caroli Olive Oil as they are from the same region of Italy so he is assured that the product shipped will be the real deal. Side story: He became such good friends with Signor Caroli that he invited him to the USA. Since they not only sell products to the general public but to restaurants as well he took Signor Caroli to a restaurant that used his EVO. Unfortunately the owner was not told by his son that they lost the account to that particular restaurant as the restaurant decided to go with another supplier. So Signor Carolli is at dinner and dips his bread in the EVO on the table and immediately exclaims, "Questo non è il mio olio d'oliva! Non è affatto! (This is not my olive oil! No way!!! ) Embarrassment all around and the son got in trouble for loosing the account!!!

I had this conversation with the son as we both had to deal with our parents as part of our business operations and it was always a challenge to conceal things from them...

The Italians keep the good stuff for themselves and ship the garbage here to the stupid Americans! Walk by any Italian kitchen in Italy and you will get an aroma that you don't quite experience in the USA unless you are using the good stuff.

Ah! it all makes sense now. My appreciation for olive oil really developed when I lived in Spain. When I got back to the U.S., I bought what I thought was the good stuff, olive oil from Italy (Spain didn't import much to the U.S. back then). But Italian olive oil wasn't just pricey, it was absolute crap!! I continued to use Colavita for cooking (not too bad, nor too expensive) but not for dipping bread. Now that Spanish companies are shipping excellent olive oil stateside, I buy olive oil for over the Internet.

Archived