How's Your Investment Portfolio?

jawjateck
This topic is 1935 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what my portfolio includes, it is handled by a longtime and trusted financial planner at Ameriprise. But when I saw him this week to tie-up some loose ends as I prepare to RETIRE in 2 weeks and have all my assets consolidated, all he said was "Alyn, you are going out on Top... You have NO money worries".... That was VERY comforting..... Bring on the Boys !

If by investment portfolio, you really mean a satchel full of money buried in a park by my house....

If any money wizards have any recommendations about finding a financial planner, please feel free to PM.

I took responsibility for my investments over 15 years ago. That's the reason I was able to retire in my 40s. I acknowledge there are reputable investment advisers and financial planners, but if you use one, always do your own homework. Study the financial markets and learn the reasons why varying asset classes rise and fall. Ask tough questions and never blindly trust any of these guys or gals to look out for your best interests.

I don't know what my portfolio includes, it is handled by a longtime and trusted financial planner at Ameriprise. But when I saw him this week to tie-up some loose ends as I prepare to RETIRE in 2 weeks and have all my assets consolidated, all he said was "Alyn, you are going out on Top... You have NO money worries".... That was VERY comforting..... Bring on the Boys !

Congrats on the upcoming retirement and sound financial planning!

Congrats on the upcoming retirement and sound financial planning!

Thanks Z, sadly I know absolutely nothing about financial shit, and don't care to. I am totally grateful for my advisor/planner who I have been with since 1980 and has gotten me to this place of security. Its another instance where Trust was essential to success, and I am looking so forward to my leisure time. More time to follow Trump on Twitter ! lolololololol

Whoever you get as a financial advisor, be sure to ask if he/she will have a "fiduciary duty" in his/her relationship to you. "A fiduciary duty is a legal duty to act solely in another party's interests. Parties owing this duty are called fiduciaries. The individuals to whom they owe a duty are called principals. Fiduciaries may not profit from their relationship with their principals unless they have the principals' express informed consent."

If a financial advisor is in a fiduciary relationship with you, he/she MUST disclose to you whether he is making ANY profit when he recommends any type of investment. I've learned the hard way that certain advisors get kickbacks if their clients make certain investments, not always in your best interest. I would be especially wary of the large management companies. If I had to do over again, I would have taken a more active and direct role in determining which funds to invest in - and would have been more careful in observing the "management fees" that these companies charge. When you snooze, you lose.

BTW, my portfolio has doubled since Obama became prez. It's probably time to take some profits before investors realize that the market is overpriced. Could happen any day though I suspect it will happen in first quarter of next year.

Thanks Z, sadly I know absolutely nothing about financial shit, and don't care to. I am totally grateful for my advisor/planner who I have been with since 1980 and has gotten me to this place of security. Its another instance where Trust was essential to success, and I am looking so forward to my leisure time. More time to follow Trump on Twitter ! lolololololol

I think choosing the right advisor and sticking with him shows pretty sound judgment.:)

Edited by Zman

Flat this year - I was over-invested in employer stock(because it ran up, not because I was putting more in) and am timing my divestment for tax purposes so I can't get out as quickly as I'd prefer, but I've been parking the rest mostly in cash because I've been expecting a crash for the last year or so. Sounds like I'm missing out on a lot, but I had a pretty fantastic run the prior 20 years, and I similarly dodged the 2000 and 2008 crashes. I'm very concerned about longer-term trends in the economy though. Between an aging population and technological advances eliminating low-wag jobs as well as driving down the wages of the people who DO have jobs, the government is going to need to shift to some sort of Universal Basic Income scheme to avoid turning into a country of gated communities surrounded by massive slums, but the party currently in charge of everything is dead set against anything like that.

Mine is a mish mash of everything. So far I am at an 8.23% basic bitch return. But hey, it's better than no return. I did take a hit mid June through Oct when I was barely working and not putting money away. I have started working on that though.

Hugs,

Greg

So glad you are better, back in the game, and planning for a bright future. :cool:

All this talk of knowing what stocks to pick and when to buy and when to sell…I say:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3d/3d4fe84470994b9f872f56b306727792817f5428f6b4afeec3b45e5877920d71.jpg

Everyone wants to think they’re smarter than the average investor, and they can cite a few examples of choices that turned out well. But markets are basically efficient, so these are more likely just lucky guesses, and over a longer sample of time, peoples’ luck runs out. Research shows that time in the market beats timing the market. http://www.forbes.com/sites/simonmoore/2016/03/07/the-myth-of-market-timing/#6a8ef9fe33ce. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/efficientmarkethypothesis.asp. So just stick to a passively managed broad-based index fund with low fees and you'll be better off in the long run.

Edited by evensteven

All this talk of knowing what stocks to pick and when to buy and when to sell…I say:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3d/3d4fe84470994b9f872f56b306727792817f5428f6b4afeec3b45e5877920d71.jpg

Everyone wants to think they’re smarter than the average investor, and they can cite a few examples of choices that turned out well. But markets are basically efficient, so these are more likely just lucky guesses, and over a longer sample of time, peoples’ luck runs out. Research shows that time in the market beats timing the market. http://www.forbes.com/sites/simonmoore/2016/03/07/the-myth-of-market-timing/#6a8ef9fe33ce. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/efficientmarkethypothesis.asp. So just stick to a passively managed broad-based index fund with low fees and you'll be better off in the long run.

LOL! You are absolutely right.

It's just that it is in man's nature to hunt & pick winners...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/5c4ea3d82d1b979fb60d424d6f7747d8/tumblr_mq7gbqqRuS1qkqvrdo1_500.gif