A Millenial experience

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2728 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>>:confused: While I appreciate outside observations, they give me a perspective other than my own - I loathe broad sweeping generalizations. Don't try to lump entire age groups into a singular category. I can confirm, we are not all the same.<<

Agreed! Frankly, I find people in 'my' generation (tail end baby boomer) every bit as rude, self involved, irresponsible, etc. as the younger generations are always accused of being.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@gallahadesquire I understand. Thank you. However, you apparently did not spend much time at MIT that day, and your comments seem to me to be a universal dig at today's college students based on very little experience. It would be very different if you take the time to get to know one of the new frat

members.

1. I wasn't AT MIT that day.
  2. Interestingly, no one wanted to know anything about me
  3. As I mentioned above, typically I don't find people below the age of 30 or so.

Based on my very limite experience with Millenials, they don't seem to have any clue about what they're doing in the sack. The guys tend to have one speed: Really fast.

As for the media reporting otherwise on their sex lives... when does the media get anything right? I used to feel that way a little, but since November 9, I've noticed it more and more.

Wasn't this always true of teens and the college-aged?

Color me a lot tired of the threads dumping on millennials. People our age thought the same of our peer group when we were their age. Also, there are in fact fewer economic opportunities and more income inequality than when we were their age.

I'd love to be as physically capable as I was then (and maybe I'd be more physically active than I was; alas, my natural state growing up was "slug"), but I am otherwise happier with myself now than then because I know more, have experienced more and have (within limits) changed as a result of what I learned.

I've said "Looking for someone over 30" and almost all the responses are under 25. Is reading deficient, too?

Inability or lack of desire to read is endemic. I had the same problem with my OKCupid profile. Not only did a few young guys contact me (and in some cases were aware of my limits), even more guys living nowhere near me did although I was clear that I was only interested in people I could actually meet, not in chit-chatting via the website, email or (shudder) text messages.

This may be a guy thing, not a millennial thing. (My experience is that women are not so full of themselves as to not pay attention to such instructions. Sorry.)

But there has been a change in recent years as somehow we collectively decided that people need four-year degrees even to be receptionists, and since everybody is going to college, schools are piling on more homework, and more kids simply don't have the time to get the part-time jobs that often serve as an introduction to life outside the bubble of school. That's a lot of what you are seeing IMO.

Summer jobs have changed as well for college students. Internship (unpaid) often replace the kinds of summer jobs I had in the early 1960s

(factory, super market). I also worked during (my mom idea) high achool, but I did prepare me for college, as you suggest @sniper

Inability or lack of desire to read is endemic. I had the same problem with my OKCupid profile. Not only did a few young guys contact me (and in some cases were aware of my limits), even more guys living nowhere near me did although I was clear that I was only interested in people I could actually meet, not in chit-chatting via the website, email or (shudder) text messages.

This may be a guy thing, not a millennial thing. (My experience is that women are not so full of themselves as to not pay attention to such instructions. Sorry.)

Those sites seem to attract lots of Russians, Filiponos, etc. I always presume they are just going to try and scam me. Or that they intend to hook me somehow.

Summer jobs have changed as well for college students. Internship (unpaid) often replace the kinds of summer jobs I had in the early 1960

(factory, super market). I also worked during (my mom idea), but I did prepare me for college, as you suggest @sniper

When I was in high school, a lot of kids had after-school jobs. The girls answered phones in offices and worked in retail. The boys pumped gas and worked in restaurants bussing tables and washing dishes. I had my first job when I was 14 - made $40.00/week or so. It was a lot of money for a school kid. I bought all my own clothes, paid for my haircuts, hung out the mall, all without asking my parents for a dime.

When I was in high school, a lot of kids had after-school jobs. The girls answered phones in offices and worked in retail. The boys pumped gas and worked in restaurants bussing tables and washing dishes. I had my first job when I was 14 - made $40.00/week or so. It was a lot of money for a school kid. I bought all my own clothes, paid for my haircuts, hung out the mall, all without asking my parents for a dime.

And today adults have most of those jobs because they need them.

Millennial here, did the same. First job was on a farm (14 y/o) - started tending fields, then moved to a 'plush' position of instructing visitors where to pick berries. I remember to hoops that had to be jumped through in order for me to be able to work too - parental approval, school approval, working permit, etc. Saved it all for graduation - minus a few toys here and there. As @sniper mentioned many of these jobs that were previously ment to give real world experience, and some spending money to a younger generation are now occupied by people because they need them.

I tend to see less and less people working in high school. This may be partly due to the fact that people are pushing the college envelope on EVERYONE and it's incredibly infuriating. We lack tradesmen in many professions that people often refer to as menial or to be looked down upon because you don't need a college education, ie electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. We'll guess what, there was a study that showed the average age of a licensed plumber or electrician was 55. Since we're pushing the idea that everyone HAS to go to college we are losing ground on necessary professions that are going to become lucrative to the few that take them up. Supply and demand.

/rant

Lack tradesmen in many professions that people often refer to as menial or to be looked down upon because you don't need a college education, ie electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. are going to become lucrative to the few that take them up.

I have a good friend my age who was a carpenter in Pennsylvania. He belonged to a union, but still the jobs were just not available in the winter months.

He enjoyed receiving unemployment in the off-season. But, as a result his pension is much smaller than expected. So his wife and he have to watch every penny. The jobs you mention sound great, but may not be in actuality.

Millennial here, did the same. First job was on a farm (14 y/o) - started tending fields, then moved to a 'plush' position of instructing visitors where to pick berries. I remember to hoops that had to be jumped through in order for me to be able to work too - parental approval, school approval, working permit, etc. Saved it all for graduation - minus a few toys here and there. As @sniper mentioned many of these jobs that were previously ment to give real world experience, and some spending money to a younger generation are now occupied by people because they need them.

I tend to see less and less people working in high school. This may be partly due to the fact that people are pushing the college envelope on EVERYONE and it's incredibly infuriating. We lack tradesmen in many professions that people often refer to as menial or to be looked down upon because you don't need a college education, ie electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. We'll guess what, there was a study that showed the average age of a licensed plumber or electrician was 55. Since we're pushing the idea that everyone HAS to go to college we are losing ground on necessary professions that are going to become lucrative to the few that take them up. Supply and demand.

/rant

I'm also a millennial, and I also had part time jobs while I was in high school, and therefore didn't have to rely on my parents for any discretionary spending.

Having a well educated population is of benefit to us all. Not only are those who receive higher education more likely to be socially liberal (important to most of us, I would suggest) but they still earn more, on average. Of course we do need tradespeople, but taking up such a profession does not exclude the possibility of receiving higher education. There are alternatives that can combine vocational training with higher education (Germany has particularly good apprenticeship schemes, and those that the UK has are very successful).

I'm also a millennial, and I also had part time jobs while I was in high school, and therefore didn't have to rely on my parents for any discretionary spending.

Having a well educated population is of benefit to us all. Not only are those who receive higher education more likely to be socially liberal (important to most of us, I would suggest) but they still earn more, on average. Of course we do need tradespeople, but taking up such a profession does not exclude the possibility of receiving higher education. There are alternatives that can combine vocational training with higher education (Germany has particularly good apprenticeship schemes, and those that the UK has are very successful).

Of course being educated does not hurt. My problem is that they force the idea of college being one's only option at leading a successful and fulfilling life. Once we stop the college is required propaganda maybe then we can begin to focus on developing someone's talent instead of teaching them to test well.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

I have a good friend my age who was a carpenter in Pennsylvania. He belonged to a union, but still the jobs were just not available in the winter months.

He enjoyed receiving unemployment in the off-season. But, as a result his pension is much smaller than expected. So his wife and he have to watch every penny. The jobs you mention sound great, but may not be in actuality.

Not all trades professions are going to be extremely lucrative. Neither are many other professions that require a college education. A friend of mine got her Masters so she could teach, while there is loan forgiveness options - she accumulated upwards of 100k in student loan debt. Now she gets to struggle for 10 years with massive loan payments.

Everyone has potential for various professions, but pushing college as a requirement on everyone is not beneficial and is adhering to this ever growing for-profit education model.

Average US School Teacher = 56k

Top end = 88k

Average US Electrician = 51k

Top end = 85k

Sorry for ranting, I got way off topic.

No problem.

What about junior college?

I had the opposite problem when I graduated high school in Massachusetts in 1961. My father had died a year before. He had graduated from a college in Canada where his uncle had taught. My mom did not finish high school. I had the grades and SAT scores for college, but no clue as to which one. I applied to Boston College (because an uncle by marriage had attended BC and Worcester State). At that point my street-smart mom stepped in and became friends with the guidance counselor who wrote excellent recommendations. I was very surprised to be accepted by Boston College.

Frankly, I greatly wish I was born into a time where most people in a working class town were expected to at least consider college.

No problem.

What about junior college?

I had the opposite problem when I graduated high school in Massachusetts in 1961. My father had died a year before. He had graduated from a college in Canada where his uncle had taught. My mom did not finish high school. I had the grades and SAT scores for college, but no clue as to which one. I applied to Boston College (because an uncle by marriage had attended BC and Worcester State). At that point my street-smart mom stepped in and became friends with the guidance counselor who wrote excellent recommendations. I was very surprised to be accepted by Boston College.

Frankly, I greatly wish I was born into a time where most people in a working class town were expected to at least consider college.

I grew up on a small, relatively poor island in Scotland. Despite having an IQ over 160 and excellent grades university was never mentioned as an option to me, so I left home at 16 and moved to London. I didn't start my undergraduate degree until I was 25. The 'lost' intervening years still trouble me.

I hated every minute of nearly every day I went to school. My first day of kindergarten, I thought, "It's going to be a long 13 years." I knew I had to go to college, but I really didn't want to. In my senior year of high school, I talked to my guidance counselor and told him I thought I wanted to work for a year or two before college. He started sending me around town on interviews. During this process, I was awarded a college scholarship. I didn't think I should blow off the scholarship so I quickly got admitted to a local community college that would allow me to take advantage of the scholarship. But community college just seemed like more of what I had hated so badly.

As a quick easy way to get away from home, I joined the Army. I trained as a medical corpsman and was sent to Europe for my permanent assignment. I spent nearly three years in Europe having a complete blast. When I got out, I was ready for college. I moved to Colorado, got accepted to the University of Colorado and financed my undergraduate degree with my GI bill. Having done my 'rumspringen, I was able to settle down and focus on learning. Couldn't have worked out better.

I grew up on a small, relatively poor island in Scotland. Despite having an IQ over 160 and excellent grades university was never mentioned as an option to me, so I left home at 16 and moved to London. I didn't start my undergraduate degree until I was 25. The 'lost' intervening years still trouble me.

Please don't spend too much time worrying about the 'lost' intervening years. I'm sure that there was lots of learning during those years too. Also, quite possibly, you were a better and more receptive learner when you started your undergraduate degree.

Please don't spend too much time worrying about the 'lost' intervening years. I'm sure that there was lots of learning during those years too. Also, quite possibly, you were a better and more receptive learner when you started your undergraduate degree.

To some extent I was, because I got diagnosed with ADHD, which had been ignored during high school. Still, as an adult with a busy life outside of university I did miss out on a large part of the 'experience'. I don't spend time worrying about it particularly, but when I do think about it it irks me. I doubt that will change sadly. :)

There's a correlation issue here though where people who don't go to school tend not to be great about planning. I know someone who dropped out of HS at 16 because he was making more as a plumber than his father the accountant. But he spent every penny and more and by the time he couldn't really do the physical labor any more he was broke and now lives on Social Security.

The jobs pay well but the people who have them need to have the discipline to save on their own as they tend not to come with stuff like 401(k) plans. an 18-year-old making 50k is not likely to have the foresight to sock as much of it away as they can. They're going to go buy an expensive car, etc.

As for college people still earn more those stats almost NEVER take into account the cost of college itself. They tend to use misleading nominal dollars stats. If you make $100,000 more over the course of your career, but borrowed $80k to do it, you are actually WORSE OFF financially, because you paid way more than $100k over the course of your repayment. This abuse of statistics is a big part of why the cost of college has been bid up so much.

There's also the fact that you are looking backward, to a time when going to college actually tended to indicate being above average in ability in the first place. Now that most people go to college, it doesn't tell you as much.

There are lots of people who are good workers but for whom school isn't really their thing, and they'd be better off getting a job at a big company with tuition reimbursement and plugging away one class at a time than spending 4-6 years struggling with a full-time courseload and racking up debt.

There's also the fact that you are looking backward, to a time when going to college actually tended to indicate being above average in ability in the first place. Now that most people go to college, it doesn't tell you as much.

Very true.

But, you do learn about other colleges and universities, if you are paying attention. When I was in the Army, I met another soldier who graduated Washington and Lee in Virginia as a literature major. He changed my life by recommending authors whom I had never read. Without college, I would not have know to read every book he suggested (in other word, I knew literature was a gap in my education).

I'm not saying a college education has no intrinsic value. I'm just saying the university model is by no means for everyone and many of the things they teach could be learned in other ways and at far less cost, both in dollars and opportunity. You didn't specifically need to meet a literature major to point you to those authors, you needed to meet someone who had read them.

I'm not saying a college education has no intrinsic value. I'm just saying the university model is by no means for everyone and many of the things they teach could be learned in other ways and at far less cost, both in dollars and opportunity. You didn't specifically need to meet a literature major to point you to those authors, you needed to meet someone who had read them.

First, I always enjoy you posts.

It's not easy to work five days a week and also learn many of the subjects taught in college, no matter how much money you are saving. As to the literature major from Washington and Lee, I would have discovered Tolstoy, Kafka and Thomas Mann on my own, but probably not in my early 20s. It gave me the confidence to move on to more difficult authors.

Archived