Someone needs to go to jail. (Oakland club fire)

glutes
This topic is 1730 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Agreed...In this case, from what we know so far, I'm guessing the tenant is responsible for maintenance, as he would be in most commercial leases, and most likely guilty, however investigators will be looking at the landlord also to try and determine if he was aware that the building was being used for something other than it's intended use per the lease, and whether or not he was aware of it's condition and or code violations, which I'm sure he would deny knowing anything, however if the reports are true that the tenant denied entry to city officials, then they would have contacted the owner of the property regarding those violations. So what does the owner know? Lots of finger pointing, and my guess is that public outcry will force someone to take the fall for this tragedy. Whatever happens, in my opinion, that man should be behind bars...

Edited by bigvalboy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Derick Ion Almena was on probation prior to this fire, let's hope he's behind bars soon.

- January 2015, Almena was arrested at the warehouse on possession of stolen property -- his former landlord's travel trailer. He was on probation at the time of this weekend's fire.

- December of last year, he was arrested in LA county for petty theft. Police pulled him over for driving with an expired registration, but found license plates from a stolen vehicle. The DA dropped the case.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/AlmenaMug%20shotGlendale.jpg

Mug shot of Derick Almena in Glendale, California taken in December, 2015.

- January of this year, after an argument with a party promoter and his friend, the men filed for restraining orders against Almena, saying they both suffered injuries. But, the men did not appear in court and the restraining orders were denied.

SF has the highest rents in the country. Oakland isn't much better though. When the mayor showed up people booed her off the stage and it had nothing to do with the fire. It's for not being proactive in getting affordable housing in her area. I love the area but only the wealthy can afford it or find alternative living circumstances like these people.

• 6 months later...
Mr. Derick Ion Almena was on probation prior to this fire, let's hope he's behind bars soon.

- January 2015, Almena was arrested at the warehouse on possession of stolen property -- his former landlord's travel trailer. He was on probation at the time of this weekend's fire.

- December of last year, he was arrested in LA county for petty theft. Police pulled him over for driving with an expired registration, but found license plates from a stolen vehicle. The DA dropped the case.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/AlmenaMug%20shotGlendale.jpg

Mug shot of Derick Almena in Glendale, California taken in December, 2015.

- January of this year, after an argument with a party promoter and his friend, the men filed for restraining orders against Almena, saying they both suffered injuries. But, the men did not appear in court and the restraining orders were denied.

As I said months ago, Almena belongs behind bars!

(CNN)Leaseholder Derick Almena and tenant Max Harris each were charged with 36 counts of involuntary manslaughter in the December fire at Oakland's Ghost Ship warehouse, said Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley.

The blaze broke out during an electronic dance party, killing those who could not escape from the dilapidated two-story warehouse. One of two exits to get away from the fire had been blocked, authorities said.

O'Malley told reporters on Monday that the two men "knowingly created a fire trap with inadequate means of escape. They then filled that area with human beings and are now facing the consequences of their action."

(CNN)Leaseholder Derick Almena and tenant Max Harris each were charged with 36 counts of involuntary manslaughter in the December fire at Oakland's Ghost Ship warehouse, said Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley.

The blaze broke out during an electronic dance party, killing those who could not escape from the dilapidated two-story warehouse. One of two exits to get away from the fire had been blocked, authorities said.

O'Malley told reporters on Monday that the two men "knowingly created a fire trap with inadequate means of escape. They then filled that area with human beings and are now facing the consequences of their action."

Thanks for the update. They get what they deserve.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the west coast version of Pulse nightclub. Blocking off exits and shit...

Unrelated a bit, but some gay bars seem almost like recipes for such things. As much as I love them n all...some of the crowdedness and packed in like sardines and "smoking hot" guys makes you feel a lil claustrophobic. Especially some places that still allow smoking, it's crazy to think it could happen more often. All the loud ass music, flashing lights...a shorted out wire and a spark can make the club go BOOM. The ROOF the ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FIRE! It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes....etc

I think being on drugs and alcohol help people feel at ease in those situations. But go into a packed gay club completely sober (unless you're just a total square who goes to clubs and don't drink lol) you're looking for the next exit.

Edited by Mocha

• 11 months later...

• 920x920.jpg

Say buh-bye!

Two men pleaded no contest Tuesday to involuntary manslaughter charges in the Oakland Ghost Ship fire case, averting what would have been a protracted, high-profile jury trial in favor of a deal with prosecutors.

The no-contest pleas resulted in convictions on all 36 counts.

Probably means less than 10 years in prison for 36 lives lost. And pleaded no contest so basically saying they don't own up to their actions.

Probably means less than 10 years in prison for 36 lives lost. And pleaded no contest so basically saying they don't own up to their actions.

I take issue with the fact that they were the renters and promoters of the parties and are facing all the charges while the owners of the building, the ones I believe were most negligent, have no charges brought against them.

I take issue with the fact that they were the renters and promoters of the parties and are facing all the charges while the owners of the building, the ones I believe were most negligent, have no charges brought against them.

I agree. That is just as wrong, he knew what was going on.

Thank you, maninsoma. It does seem strange that the owner is not being charged. But it sounds as though the next years will make purgatory seem like a vacation in comparison. Bankruptcy seems almost certain, from the legal fees alone, let alone civil judgments.

I don't see the building owner as more negligent. The tenant was subletting illegally and involved in throwing these parties, and was the one who blocked exits. The owner is more passively negligent. If someone drives drunk in a rental car you don't sue the rental car company.

I don't see the building owner as more negligent. The tenant was subletting illegally and involved in throwing these parties, and was the one who blocked exits. The owner is more passively negligent. If someone drives drunk in a rental car you don't sue the rental car company.

Granted we don't have the whole story. But the owner knew his building was being used illegaly for parties and living. The rental car analogy is not quite accurate since the agency does not know what you will do with the car. In this case the owner must have known and turned a blind eye.

• 1 year later...

I am speechless.

(CNN). A jury on Thursday found one man not guilty of 36 counts of involuntary manslaughter in the 2016 fire at Oakland's Ghost Ship warehouse but could not reach a verdict for the building's leaseholder, according to CNN affiliate KGO.

Max Harris was acquitted and Derick Almena's case ended in a hung jury.

As the verdicts were read, there were noticeable gasps and tears from relatives and friends of those who died, CNN affiliate KPIX reported.

Prosecutors alleged Almena, the leaseholder, and Harris, who helped collect rent and acted as creative director for the art collective housed at the 10,000-square-foot facility, were responsible for the deaths resulting from the blaze.

What a fucking OUTRAGE for the families of the victims who died in a horrific manner. I've been following this story for the last 3 years and I never thought it would come to this. Harris and Almena bear responsibility for these needless deaths. And yes, the City of Oakland the the Fire Department did "drop the ball" when it came to enforcement. But those two men profited from illegal live/work/party venue. It's a travesty that they will get off while 36 people perished because of them.

I really question our justice system--especially in the Bay Area. In SF alone, there have been known killers who were acquitted by jurors or released by the DA. Victims: Freddy Canul-Arguello, Brian Egg, and, yes, Katie Stienle never received justice, while their killers walked free.

Sorry for the rant, but I am sickened by this verdict; especially in the aftermath of the recent Santa Barbara dive boat tragedy, this outcome is all the more upsetting.