Do You Cleave To Contronyms?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2064 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Or when one word has two entirely opposing meanings, as has become the case with 'literally' in recent years.

The implied meaning of "literally" as used by so many speakers nowadays--i.e., "as good as actually" or sometimes "almost," as in "I am literally tearing my hair out!"--is not considered Standard English. "Flammable" and "inflammable" are both considered correct.

What other meaning does it have? My dictionary lists 'exactly' and 'precisely' as synonyms. Those imply to me that the meaning of 'actually' is not a new usage.

Gman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or when one word has two entirely opposing meanings, as has become the case with 'literally' in recent years.

The implied meaning of "literally" as used by so many speakers nowadays--i.e., "as good as actually" or sometimes "almost," as in "I am literally tearing my hair out!"--is not considered Standard English. "Flammable" and "inflammable" are both considered correct.

The OED lists both meanings now.

What other meaning does it have? My dictionary lists 'exactly' and 'precisely' as synonyms. Those imply to me that the meaning of 'actually' is not a new usage.

Gman

I appreciate the link. But this is one of those pedantic arguments-to me at least. The way my mind works both of these meanings mean literally the same thing. I mean (if I'm understanding the argument correctly) yes, if you are going to be exact, literally means 'exactly' but people often use it more in an ironic sense or to mean 'almost' exactly. To me there isn't much difference between the two meanings.

I'm weird that way. I still don't understand the difference between 'less' and 'fewer' either. But please don't trouble yourself. I've read the their meanings multiple times. But they don't really make that much sense to me.

Gman

I still don't understand the difference between 'less' and 'fewer' either. But please don't trouble yourself. I've read the their meanings multiple times. But they don't really make that much sense to me.

Not for your benefit, then, but less of something that isn't composed of discrete units (less money), fewer of things that are (fewer dollars).

Kevin Slater

I appreciate the link. But this is one of those pedantic arguments-to me at least.

Gman

But I am literally a pedant!

Ah but I am literally dying because pedants think there is that much of a difference in the two meanings. Hopefully that will soon pass.

Gman

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
I'm always bad with headlines. I could read this as he's either removing the threat, or making the threat (like dropping a bomb or 'dropping the f word'). But that's probably just me.

Another one from today's Times:

Dr. Bello could treat patients and prescribe medication, as long as other doctors were looking over his shoulder, and only at Bronx-Lebanon. “Not over there — not in a clinic,” (Dr. Chilimuri) said for emphasis, pointing out the hospital’s doors.

Do they mean he indicated the hospital's doors (meaning that Bello couldn't practice in the hospital) or was Chilimuri inside the hospital pointing outside its doors, meaning the hospital is only place Bello could practice?

Kevin Slater

I didn't know that his words were that long! :oops:

Ok, I give up on this grammatical riddle. What am I missing? English is my second language, and I'm sure there is something here I don't get. I thought cutting across socioeconomic lines meant all were affected irrespective of socioeconomic status, while cutting along means something closer to cutting around a specific path - in this case around what appears to be a white community (presumably more affluent?). Now I'm totally doubting myself and mucho confundido! :confused:

In the meantime, I just sit in awe as I see Slater play with his...words.

Contronyms are a class of words that are also called auto-antonyms. The most famous example I can think of is the word 'cleave' which can mean to sever or to cling to.

But phrases can also be similar to 'contronyms'. For example in the UK, the common meaning to 'table a motion' is to put it on the table for consideration. In American English it more commonly means to get rid of the motion-keep

it on the table and away from being discussed or voted on.

I came across a similar situation today. A phrase that to me would normally mean the opposite of the way it was employed. It occurred in an article in the Washington Post describing the flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew.

I quote:

In some hard-hit communities, like Lumberton, the flooding also cut along socioeconomic lines: a white area of town was preserved,

Now it seems to me that in the past when I've seen the phrase 'cut along socioeconomic lines', it's often been talking about some issue or event that has affected a majority of people irrespective of their socioeconomic class.

Has my understanding of this phrase been wrong all these years?

Gman

You @Gar1eth are originally from New Orleans, right?

Take a look at your own city and see how the flood (of all possible subjects) affected black areas more than white areas because the best houses were located on higher ground.

The only exception was the area close to the lake, north of the city.

http://danswenson.com/paper/katrinagraphics/03katrina-flood-map.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another one. The Muppets Studio is blaming "unacceptable business conduct" for its dismissal of Steve Whitmire as the longtime performer of Kermit the Frog, a firing that created outrage on social media.

Is the studio saying they fired the guy because he engaged in unacceptable conduct, or that the studio's firing of the guy was unacceptable?

Kevin Slater

And what does one call two words that look like opposites but actually mean the same thing, like flammable and inflammable?

English

This reminds of a friend in Germany. When we met, he explained that he often had trouble understanding spoken English. He said that too many English words sound alike, especially when it comes to American English. He explained further that with as fast as an English language conversation was going, Europeans would be a little behind when lost in the content of what was being discussed because of duality of certain spoken words. When we spoke together in English, long before his facial expression would give it away, I would hear; "English, it's such a versatile language". This meant he was confused on what I had just said. As time went on, I learned to ditch the colloquial English-isms, and speak right proper English, pip-pip.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Contronyms are a class of words that are also called auto-antonyms. The most famous example I can think of is the word 'cleave' which can mean to sever or to cling to.

But phrases can also be similar to 'contronyms'. For example in the UK, the common meaning to 'table a motion' is to put it on the table for consideration. In American English it more commonly means to get rid of the motion-keep

it on the table and away from being discussed or voted on.

I came across a similar situation today. A phrase that to me would normally mean the opposite of the way it was employed. It occurred in an article in the Washington Post describing the flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew.

I quote:

In some hard-hit communities, like Lumberton, the flooding also cut along socioeconomic lines: a white area of town was preserved,

Now it seems to me that in the past when I've seen the phrase 'cut along socioeconomic lines', it's often been talking about some issue or event that has affected a majority of people irrespective of their socioeconomic class.

Has my understanding of this phrase been wrong all these years?

Gman

This exact post is a clue in today's NYT crossword.

Kevin Slater