Posters fucking Posters

glennnn
This topic is 2816 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have clients - I can relate.

I may have said this before, but a DC lawyer well-known in my area of specialty said, at a conference, "The client is your worst enemy." I have to believe that their penchant for acting first and then asking for legal advice at the last minute, thus making a crisis of their own making into your crisis, is largely what informed that statement.

I may have said this before, but a DC lawyer well-known in my area of specialty said, at a conference, "The client is your worst enemy." I have to believe that their penchant for acting first and then asking for legal advice at the last minute, thus making a crisis of their own making into your crisis, is largely what informed that statement.

Most of my clients trust me and respect what I bring to the table and pay their bills on time. But then, there are the others.

Most of my clients trust me and respect what I bring to the table and pay their bills on time. But then, there are the others.

The person making the remark was a partner, but as an associate, senior associate and counsel, I wasn't the one calling the shots and the partners did little to nothing to curb clients' often unrealistic expectations because they weren't the ones grinding out the product.

Some clients are such pains that it's not worth having them as clients.

The person making the remark was a partner, but as an associate, senior associate and counsel, I wasn't the one calling the shots and the partners did little to nothing to curb clients' often unrealistic expectations because they weren't the ones grinding out the product.

Some clients are such pains that it's not worth having them as clients.

For sure. They're never going to generate much revenue, but they're an enormous PITA. I had one client who wanted to be friends. He seemed to fetishize patent attorneys and was always calling me just to chat. He had one previous patent that a colleague had helped him with and wanted to tell war stories about the prosecution. He was really disappointed when he realized, that, to me, he was "just a client."

Mr. Smith, you should be grateful I refrained from answering that question like the Hermione Granger I am.

In addition, although it is more an outgrowth of the documentary hypothesis than a precondition to it, Genesis contains two inconsistent stories about the creation of humans. In one, Adam and Eve are equals, created at the same time by breathing life into dust, and there is no mention of Eden, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, or a fall. In the other, Eve is created from Adam's rib and is convinced by a talking snake to eat from the Tree, with disastrous results. The second story is the origin of the doctrine of original sin and Augustine's somewhat hypocritical conclusion that sex had something to do with it.

Seeing as I will take just about any opportunity to post a Kpop video, here are the MV and a live performance of "Paradise Lost" by Gain (that's Ga-in, not Gayne) in which she proposes an alternative to the belief that it was through Eve (and more specifically sex) that Adam fell. Rather, she celebrates sex and suggests the story of the Fall is just that: a way to control people and confine their sexuality.

I may only be a Kinsey 1, but Ga-in is my sexual orientation when it comes to women. If it helps, the MV includes a bunch of naked or near-naked men writhing in the background.

(Mr. Smith, "Paradise Lost" includes an impressive organ part.)

That first chapter of Genesis being a production of the P or Priestly author, dry and striving for grandeur, and the first source of our current visions of God the Father as an abstract gaseous bureaucrat somewhere way out in space.

Whereas the second chapter! Product of the glorious J author, the Jahwist. Giving us in Jahweh (channeling Bloom here of course) the most dynamic character in all of literature.

See Bloom's The Book of J, in which he violates all kinds of lit-crit prohibitions against making essentialist assumptions and countless others, to imagine the J author as a woman writing in the court of Solomon. It is not so much a historical argument as a lesson in how to read afresh and anew a text whose very long familiarity has dulled us to its deep strangeness, its uncanniness, and possibly some of its most valuable truths.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-J-Harold-Bloom/dp/0802141919

Interview with him that I have quoted before: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5048309

Archived