Remingtons - Toronto

BOZO T CLOWN
This topic is 2417 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As most of the locals already know, the angel of death has spread its wings over Yonge Street in Toronto. Remington's Men of Steel, a downtown landmark, will be closing its doors for the last time no later than October 31, 2016 to make way for a new condo complex. Most of the surrounding businesses have already lost their leases and shut down. Bozo spoke with some of the dancers and staff who hold out hope that the owners will be able to find a new downtown site for the club. Of course that would involve the portability of the club's entertainment certificate and liquor license. It's kind of dicey whether those can be transferred from one location to another.

Although the club has gone downhill since the halcyon days of the late 90's, Bozo still has fond memories of what it once was. Even now, there are always at least a couple of boys that catch Bozo's eyes when he enters the club after a long hard day performing under the Big Top.

Bozo

As most of the locals already know, the angel of death has spread its wings over Yonge Street in Toronto. Remington's Men of Steel, a downtown landmark, will be closing its doors for the last time no later than October 31, 2016 to make way for a new condo complex. Most of the surrounding businesses have already lost their leases and shut down. Bozo spoke with some of the dancers and staff who hold out hope that the owners will be able to find a new downtown site for the club. Of course that would involve the portability of the club's entertainment certificate and liquor license. It's kind of dicey whether those can be transferred from one location to another.

Although the club has gone downhill since the halcyon days of the late 90's, Bozo still has fond memories of what it once was. Even now, there are always at least a couple of boys that catch Bozo's eyes when he enters the club after a long hard day performing under the Big Top.

Bozo

Gentrification... damn Clintons and Giuliani, I wish the cities were unsafe like they were in the 70's and 80's that was so much fun... :rolleyes:o_O:eek: LOL

I guess there's a clown here against the free marker and its invisible hand... Not even Sanders called Capitalism the Angel of death.

http://inspiredeconomist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/shutterstock_221085262.jpg

invisible-hand.jpg

I saw that news a while ago and we talked about it in a different thread a little. It sounded then (story from a few months ago) that closing was a long way off.

Not a huge surprise though as that block is PRIME real estate, so more luxury condos makes sense.

I also agree that while it did go downhill over the last 10-15 years it was still an interesting place to hang out. I enjoyed meeting BTC (briefly) a couple of years ago. I think we were both lusting for the same boy.

Pardon me while I take moment to shed a few tears. In 1999 I took a train trip on The Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto. I had read reports of Remington's here. I had three nights in TO before I flew back to LA, and I had more fun at Remington's than I had experienced in years. In those days there were two stages on two levels and the Men were beautiful, the booths for private dances had doors and you could do a lot behind those doors. Each night I took a different dancer back to my hotel. There was a blond muscle boy named Luke whose memory makes me weak in the knees to this day. I had so much fun I went back for 4th of July Weekend the following year and stayed at a hotel across the street. I had always thought I would go back again sometime but alas, it appears I waited too long.

• 3 months later...
So what's the scoop on Remington's? I see their website is still up, are they still open? Have they found a new spot?

They are telling their staff (including dancers) that they will remain where they are until at least the end of the year. It will be day-to-day after that.

Also, they claim they are close to leasing space for their new location.

Bozo

• 5 months later...
They are telling their staff (including dancers) that they will remain where they are until at least the end of the year. It will be day-to-day after that.

Also, they claim they are close to leasing space for their new location.

Bozo

buddy remingtons will be there till next oct of 2018, then they have bought a building outright, and will be moving there

• 4 months later...
Word on the street is that Remingtons will be closing next weekend. Although there is a new location planned, it will never be the same.

It's an end of an era. So many memories ... (sigh)

Say it isn't so! The number of customers visiting the club has been dwindling of late, so I'm not surprised that management couldn't sustain the business for long. The proposed new location is even further away from the gay district than the current location; not sure how that is a savvy business move to be located so far away.

Where is the new location?

It's supposedly Queen West. Totally different neighbourhood, so I expect the vibe to be quite different when it moves. (Maybe IF it moves. Who knows.)

Many months ago, I was talking to their long time bartender, Bruce, may he rest in peace. He said they tried to get a location in the village, but for whatever reason, was unsuccessful.

Lately, Remington's was not its former self.

Remington's hasn't been very good for many years. Ten years ago and before, Toronto was a regular stop on my strip club circuit. Remington's was excellent back then and hadn't been taken over by the ladies. I stopped going when Remington's wasn't worth it any more. I never really understood why Toronto couldn't support at least one good male strip club for the last 10 years.

Yes, it has been pretty sad (for us guys) the past years, ever since they geared their business to the female clientele. It was a downward spiral. The females would buy drinks (income for bar), but wouldn't take dancers for dances or tip them. Fewer dancers. Fewer male customers.

But still, I remember my first time at Remingtons. Good times! Anyone remember a dancer named "Panther"? Roar! :)

But still, I remember my first time at Remingtons. Good times! Anyone remember a dancer named "Panther"? Roar! :)

OMG. That kid was spectacular. I started visiting in the late 90s which was totally amazing for me. I used to take long weekends in TO several times a year just to spend time there. So many cute boys. One adorable little Vietnamese guy I was totally in love with. And a few years later a cute Chinese boy. I think they were the only Asians I ever saw there. Then a tall, skinny blond twink with charisma to burn whose name escapes me... Between the exchange rate strongly in our favor, cheap entry to the booths and cheap dances ($10 a song back then) I had so much fun. But I guess all good things must come to an end. Management changed and things seemed to take a bit of a dive.

Glad to hear they found a new place. Hope it works out for them

Archived