Voting

Chuck50
This topic is 7151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>I was out earlier 940AM EST and the polls were filled nice

>day for voting too. I was amazed at the number of young people

>and young women in particular (this is a college town though)

>Hope everyone else gets out and changes the course

Were you checking out the young guys Chuck?? :9 :p I did at my polling place and was looking were to sign up and help them out :*

When in doubt I whip it out :+

In all my years of voting in the presidential election, I have never seen such long lines. Trying to avoid the 2 hr waits reported on the morning news I went at 11 am, and still stood in line 1hr 15 minutes. This has got to be a record turnout.

When I parked my car, it was 2004. When I got into line, it suddenly turned into 1954. It was a Back to the Future redux, and I expected to see at any moment, Michael J. Fox's McFly character.

The guy in front of me was a Bob Dole clone circa 1964, three piece suit, tie, big Bush/Cheney decal plastered to his lapel. Two tots in tow - a girl around 5 and a boy around 7, wearing, I kid you not, a coonskin cap ala 1955. After 15 minutes in line, mommy appears, toting the infant. 1 hr of listening to dribble then ensued. The killer part was big Daddy telling Mommy, "now remember we are voting for this person, and this person and this person, and remember that we are voting yes on all the ballot questions". WTF, I thought that shit went out in the 1950's. Obviously, Women's Lib failed to make an impact in that household. And to top it all off, just as we reach the check in point, infant wails to be fed, and Stepford Wife/Mommy has to go to the back room to breast feed the baby.

Only in Virginia! :), but I will never forget this Back to the Future voting experience.

Showed up today at 7:00 a.m. when the polls opened. There was already a long line and it took me an hour to vote. I understand from friends and family that the line DIDN'T get any shorter.

Not sure if I'll agree with the final outcome. But at least people got off their butts and took some action.

Maverick and I always work as election clerks. And one of the highlights is always the way that the table between us and the voter we're checking in comes up to just below crotch level. Lots of good cruising. Still, it was nice yesterday when we didn't have as much time to pay attention to that as usual, due to the fairly constant speed with which they were replaced. We only had a line for a couple of hours in the morning, but were clipping along all day compared to some voting days, and what with the record early voting turnout, our precinct judge was predicting that we would probably reach about 75% voting! He was even getting a bit frustrated, knowing that ours is a very mobile precinct and that a lot of the people who weren't showing up were people who didn't live in the precinct any more but just hadn't been cleared off of the books yet. So, he couldn't have gotten his percentage up very much more than we did.

Archived