Hired to meet his mom :o

hunterlee
This topic is 2942 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'd bring him home to meet Mom. If I was Gay, that is. ;)

@stevenkesslar, I'm sure you meant to use 'were' rather than 'was' here. 'Were' would indicate the Subjunctive mood-one of the few uses of it in modern English. The Subjunctive expresses wishes and states of being that are 'contrary to fact'. So obviously you meant to write, "If I were gay,..."

Gman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a new one for me. My coming out occurred when my mom found all the letters I received from my Houseboy Ad in the pink section of the Advocate :), but that was back in the 70's. I guess for the younger generation this is now considered to be part of the BFE.

I'm a little confused. In Avenue Q, Rod is a closeted gay man.

I was talking about the characters in the video, which combines the soundtrack from Avenue Q with video from the BL (boys' love) anime series Gravitation, which in turn is based on the manga series of the same name.

The characters in the video are pop star Shuichi Shindou, one-half of the central couple in Gravitation, and rival pop star Ryuichi Sakuma. They have a fling in Gravitation EX, the sequel to the original manga. So it's ironic that they're singing 'If I were gay' because from most people's perspectives, they are, although the text actually argues that the members of the central pairing are bisexual, and it's never clear what Ryuichi's orientation is.

The fanfiction for the series (to which I may have, ahem, contributed) focuses mostly on m/m pairings, likely and unlikely, but one thing can be said: there's homosexual attraction or subtext between most of the male characters. Very few are portrayed as unequivocally straight, and even they are supportive and not homophobic. The main tension in that regard is about the Japanese public's reception of the news that two men in the public eye (the other half of the central couple is a best-selling novelist) are a couple.

Archived