Help me select a Broadway show, please!

glennnn
This topic is 2018 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'll be in NYC at the first of November and want to take in a Broadway show. I am a retired Theater teacher, who has seen some great Theater in my time. Here are my parameters for this trip:

-Hamilton is out due to lack of interest (as well as price and availability)

- I prefer a musical or comedy/uplifting show

- I've seen Kinky Boots (meh!)

- a revival (Les Mes) would be fine if it's good

- I'm leaning towards Finding Neverland

- Off Broadway is fine if the show is really good.

- I am anxious to book soon in order to get good seats

- my selection doesn't have to be the hottest ticket, just a good show put together by talented people.

-ticket price is not a worry

I only make it to Manhattan about once a year and love a great night of Theater. Please help me with your suggestions. Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glennn, are you seeing several Broadway/off-Broadway shows or just one?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

The above Weekly grosses on Broadway may help

Thanks for sharing this, never saw it before, have not been paying as much attention to Broadway the past couple years..... Also saw some show named Disaster! which has a great cast... looks interesting.

http://www.disastermusical.com/index.php

Thanks for sharing this, never saw it before, have not been paying as much attention to Broadway the past couple years..... Also saw some show named Disaster! which has a great cast... looks interesting.

http://www.disastermusical.com/index.php

I'll be in NYC at the first of November and want to take in a Broadway show. I am a retired Theater teacher, who has seen some great Theater in my time. Here are my parameters for this trip:

- my selection doesn't have to be the hottest ticket, just a good show put together by talented people.

I only make it to Manhattan about once a year and love a great night of Theater. Please help me with your suggestions. Thanks

Aladdin, is great, i have been back 2x

American in Paris, a very good show

American Psycho, loved it

Color Purple great singing

Hamilton, is worth it, a must see

Something Rotten! nice enough, fun, silly

On Your Feet! enjoyed it a lot.

SLEEP NO MORE, the best show to see, a must, if you have taught theater this is the new way to see a show...only book the early time and arrive 1/2 before time... so you can lineup... i have been back 30x love love love this show

http://aworkunfinishing.blogspot.com/2011/07/spoiler-free-user-friendly-guide-to.html

http://www.playbill.com/article/weekly-schedule-of-current-broadway-shows-com-142774

Aladdin, is great, i have been back 2x

American in Paris, a very good show

American Psycho, loved it

Color Purple great singing

Hamilton, is worth it, a must see

Something Rotten! nice enough, fun, silly

On Your Feet! enjoyed it a lot.

SLEEP NO MORE, the best show to see, a must, if you have taught theater this is the new way to see a show...only book the early time and arrive 1/2 before time... so you can lineup... i have been back 30x love love love this show

Tealady, I looked at some of your prior posts about the theater. Please post more often here. You are a legend now yourself!

The person whose thought of this forum --- Lucky. Wanted this forum for people on this site to discuss opera and Broadway. I have tried to be careful not to violate his reasoning.

So I did not post the link above about weekly grosses until now.

The person whose thought of this forum --- Lucky. Wanted this forum for people on this site to discuss opera and Broadway. I have tried to be careful not to violate his reasoning.

So I did not post the link above about weekly grosses until now.

Its just really cool to see it like stocks and get information on how a show is doing. I can understand not always wanting the business side of things but it is nice every so often.

Thank you all for the suggestions and reference sites. It's a short trip, so probably only two evenings will be possible and we already have booked at 54 Below for Sondheim Unplugged. My favorite composer and one of my favorite places .

After a little research, I'm leaning towards An American In Paris. I could use an evening on a beautiful cloud, I adore dance, it is well-recommended, the staging looks great, the dancers are first rate, and the music is by Gershwin. Even if the cast changes, all the rest of the package remain. If it closes before fall......I'll rethink it.

I also have lost track of Broadway after a lifetime of keeping up. I don't like cartoons masquerading as plays much, I disapprove of shows that cost $1000s to see. Theater is being devoured by its technical aspects, and I was a tech guy and a designer. So little is being left for the heart, mind and soul to do in personally interpreting stage presentations. Magic is emotional and theatrical pretense is not real, is not MEANT to be real.. A bare bones production of Glass Menagerie pulls on my humanity, focuses my inner eye the way no overblown Disney Extravaganza ever does, because it is all taking place inside of me, and you, and a room full of fellow human beings as a unique Personal Experience for each of us. When it is excellent it is truly transcendent of time and place. I worry that Theater is going the way of professional sports..... All profit, no heart, or should I say, no art.

Gee's sorry, just maundering.... Thanks for the help. Please add any updates as they come to you, or shows open or close.

One last thing....one if the greatest theatrical experiences of my life was watching Henry Fonda, in London in Clarence Darrow...one packed Theater, one-man play, one brilliant actor, one magic evening.....no set, just open inner eyes.

Thanks for sharing this, never saw it before, have not been paying as much attention to Broadway the past couple years

Also the following site is valuable because special events, usually on Monday night, are announced on this message board. The message board in general can help as well. But many of the people who post have been there for years, so a new person would never get the helpful attention we try to provide in this forum:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat_new/index.php

If you thought KINKY BOOTS was meh, I would avoid FINDING NEVERLAND like the plague. My eyes hurt from rolling em so much when I left there. I would agree THE KING & I is the most glorious revival I might have ever seen though the leads have changed. I will also say the revival of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF moved me in ways I didn't think the show could.

SLEEP NO MORE, naked men

why 2 naked men

http://gawker.com/5866346/how-to-find-all-the-nudity-in-sleep-no-more

i love SLEEP NO MORE, if you are in theater you must go see this amazing show...

you will see several start times, only take the first time, as you get to see all three 1 hour cycles that repeat 3 times.

best advice

1st follow a royal (the men have a breast patch on their coats)

2nd follow a witch (find the boy witch)

3rd free style (stay on 4th floor with all the shops and cardboard box bar)

http://aworkunfinishing.blogspot.com/2011/07/spoiler-free-user-friendly-guide-to.html

as i said above i have been back over 30 times. i have friends that are in the show. I get house tickets, so way not.

their are about 100 rooms to see and over 30 actors.

you will never see theater like this!!!

sound design

http://www.borrowers.uga.edu/442/display

https://deliriumdog.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/tracking-the-scottish-play-the-sounds-of-sleep-no-more/

BEFORE GOING

watch the movie Rebecca,

know your Macbeth

This is my 'TAKE FRIENDS" to see show. You will never see a show like this outside of NYC.

Note punchdrunk does shows in London and they are being copied in brooklyn (then she fell)

Miss T, knows

"Waitress" - must see.

Chicago!!! Forget the movie.....this is the one to see!!!! I've seen most everything beginning in 1960 and this is still the unquestioned top of the list! And it doesn't matter who is in it. The show is that good.

Saw Paramour and American Psycho the past weekend.

Paramour was great - high-wire and acrobatics! Much talent there!

I have to say, though, American Psycho really cranked my tractor! Sexy, amazing, edgy, excellent. Not for everyone, though.

My weekend friend and I both preferred the smaller stage of American Psycho! Benjamin Walker is so scary and good!

Edited by Will Do

The Crucible ends it's run July 17. Long Days Journey ends June 26. Both are limited run and will not be around in November.

Thanks, Ed. I am going to New York in a few weeks and may just see Long Days Journey and save The Crucible for early July. I only live 90 miles from New York City.

• 1 year later...
The King and I revival at LTC is a wonderful production (though I haven't seen the current leads, except the great Ruthie Ann Miles).

A seizure-prone woman was “foaming at the mouth” after she fatally mowed down two kids crossing a Brooklyn street with their moms, law enforcement sources and an NYPD official said Wednesday.

Mayor Bill de Blasio also lashed out at driver Dorothy Bruns, citing eight camera-based tickets for speeding in school zones and running red lights that she racked up between July 2016 and April 2017.

“She should never have been allowed to be driving a car after what we know of these other violations,” de Blasio said during a news conference at NYPD headquarters in Lower Manhattan.

“I share the frustration of many in my community — I wish she were under arrest right now and I certainly believe that measures need to be taken to make sure she will not drive a car anymore.”

NYPD Chief of Transportation Thomas Chan said cops interviewed witnesses who saw Bruns, 44, of Staten Island, immediately following the collision in Park Slope.

“The investigator indicated that the person might have been foaming at the mouth,” Chan said.

Law enforcement sources also said Bruns was foaming at the mouth, which is among the symptoms of a seizure.

Bruns — who is hospitalized at NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn — told cops that she suffers frommultiple sclerosis and heart problems, and had a seizure in January, sources have said.

Joshua Lew, 1, and Abigail Miles, 4, were killed whenthey were struck by Bruns‘ white 2016 Volvo at the intersection of Ninth Street and Fifth Avenue around 12:40 p.m. Monday.

Their moms, Lauren Lew and Tony award-winning actress Ruthie Ann Miles, who is pregnant, were both injured and are hospitalized at Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.

Miles is being treated in the intensive care unit, a hospital source said Wednesday.

A seizure-prone woman was “foaming at the mouth” after she fatally mowed down two kids crossing a Brooklyn street with their moms, law enforcement sources and an NYPD official said Wednesday.

Mayor Bill de Blasio also lashed out at driver Dorothy Bruns, citing eight camera-based tickets for speeding in school zones and running red lights that she racked up between July 2016 and April 2017.

“She should never have been allowed to be driving a car after what we know of these other violations,” de Blasio said during a news conference at NYPD headquarters in Lower Manhattan.

“I share the frustration of many in my community — I wish she were under arrest right now and I certainly believe that measures need to be taken to make sure she will not drive a car anymore.”

NYPD Chief of Transportation Thomas Chan said cops interviewed witnesses who saw Bruns, 44, of Staten Island, immediately following the collision in Park Slope.

“The investigator indicated that the person might have been foaming at the mouth,” Chan said.

Law enforcement sources also said Bruns was foaming at the mouth, which is among the symptoms of a seizure.

Bruns — who is hospitalized at NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn — told cops that she suffers frommultiple sclerosis and heart problems, and had a seizure in January, sources have said.

Joshua Lew, 1, and Abigail Miles, 4, were killed whenthey were struck by Bruns‘ white 2016 Volvo at the intersection of Ninth Street and Fifth Avenue around 12:40 p.m. Monday.

Their moms, Lauren Lew and Tony award-winning actress Ruthie Ann Miles, who is pregnant, were both injured and are hospitalized at Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.

Miles is being treated in the intensive care unit, a hospital source said Wednesday.

:(:(:(