Happy Gin & Tonic Day

ArVaGuy
This topic is 2333 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"It is a curious fact, and one to which no-one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand variations on this phonetic theme.

"The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian ‘chinanto/mnigs’ which is ordinary water served just above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks’ which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the only one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that their names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.

"What can be made of this fact? It exists in total isolation. As far as any theory of structural linguistics is concerned it is right off the graph, and yet it persists. Old structural linguists get very angry when young structural linguists go on about it. Young structural linguists get deeply excited about it and stay up late at night convinced that they are very close to something of profound importance, and end up becoming old structural linguists before their time, getting very angry with the young ones. Structural linguistics is a bitterly divided and unhappy discipline, and a large number of its practitioners spend too many nights drowning their problems in Ouisghian Zodahs."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (R.I.P.)

Edited by gallahadesquire

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In further memory of Douglas Adams: The Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

"After two of those babies, the dullest, most by-the-book Vogon will be up on the bar in stilettos, yodeling mountain shanties and swearing he's the king of the Gray Binding Fiefdoms of Saxaquine"

—The drink's effects[src]

The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is an alcoholic beverage invented by ex-President of the Universe Zaphod Beeblebrox, considered by the Guide to be the "Best Drink in Existence"[1]. Its effects are similar to "having your brains smashed in by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick".

Beeblebrox advised that you should "never drink more than two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters unless you are a thirty ton mega elephant with bronchial pneumonia".[1] However, Ford Prefect ignored this advice and consumed three Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters while at Milliways.[2]

Mixing Instructions

• Take the juice from one bottle of Ol' Janx Spirit.
  • Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V — Oh, that Santraginean seawater! Oh, those Santraginean fish!
  • Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).
  • Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it, in memory of all those happy hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia.
  • Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones, subtle, sweet and mystic.
  • Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian Suns deep into the heart of the drink.
  • Sprinkle Zamphuor.
  • Add an olive.
  • Drink... but... very carefully...

"It is a curious fact, and one to which no-one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand variations on this phonetic theme.

"The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian ‘chinanto/mnigs’ which is ordinary water served just above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks’ which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the only one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that their names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.

"What can be made of this fact? It exists in total isolation. As far as any theory of structural linguistics is concerned it is right off the graph, and yet it persists. Old structural linguists get very angry when young structural linguists go on about it. Young structural linguists get deeply excited about it and stay up late at night convinced that they are very close to something of profound importance, and end up becoming old structural linguists before their time, getting very angry with the young ones. Structural linguistics is a bitterly divided and unhappy discipline, and a large number of its practitioners spend too many nights drowning their problems in Ouisghian Zodahs."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (R.I.P.)

LOL! Sounds like a plan! Please give us your report regarding it's efficacy!

PS: I like the instructions on the packaging!

@whipped guy , @AdamSmith,

I'm pleased to report on the efficacy of this wonderful magic elixir in treating the common condition known as a hangover.

Why I felt its immediate effect quickly after the second gulp, uh sip of this tasty tonic. It was no time at all it seemed as my nauseous feeling dissipated without a moments hesitation. My throbbing headache vanished after the fourth glass. Or was it the third or fifth, I lost count. Why I haven't felt this buzzed, uh refreshed since my third gin and tonic at last nights dinner party.

I recommend following the instructions on the label to the letter. This product is excellent whether on the rocks or served neat. The more one consumes the less one feels of any semblance of the aforementioned hangover. One side effect is a drowsy feeling that may come on suddenly and without warning. Though a friend said this was more akin to passing out than drowsiness. I told him I did not appreciate the insinuation and he fails to understand the complexities of this modern miracle cure.

There's no recommended dosage on the label but I found that entire the bottle seemed to do the trick. Though it's probably a good idea to consume some food when drinking this tasty beverage. But it can also be enjoyed in lieu of any solid food though that may not be recommended by the distillers, uh manufacturer.

There doesn't appear to be any recommendation as to the number of bottles, uh dosages on a daily basis either. My suggestion is that two bottles a day seems to be sufficient. But I woke up late this morning due to that stupid hangover and likely could have had at least half of a third bottle, uh dose of this fabulous syrup.

I've gone so far as to purchase a full case. I was lucky to find this available on a Sunday at the ABC store two blocks from my apartment. (God bless the Commonwealth of Virginia in its forward thinking on distribution of this product.) You can buy this over the counter just like any sinus decongestant. Only need to be 21 or older and show a drivers license but you need that too to buy the sinus medicine so it's no different.

I figure a case of this hangover cure-all should last until at least Thursday since its self-administered. But no worries if we run out, I will just walk to the ABC store for a refill on this prescription. Note, I don't think it would be wise to drive or operate machinery while using this product due to that sudden drowsy feeling.

With any luck daily regular consumption of this fine elixir should stave off any semblance of a hangover for months or years on end.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers!!! :cool:

ArVaGuy

I'm pleased to report on the efficacy of this wonderful magic elixir in treating the common condition known as a hangover.

Why I felt its immediate effect quickly after the second gulp, uh sip of this tasty tonic. It was no time at all it seemed as my nauseous feeling dissipated without a moments hesitation. My throbbing headache vanished after the fourth glass. Or was it the third or fifth, I lost count. Why I haven't felt this buzzed, uh refreshed since my third gin and tonic at last nights dinner party.

I recommend following the instructions on the label to the letter. This product is excellent whether on the rocks or served neat. The more one consumes the less one feels of any semblance of the aforementioned hangover. One side effect is a drowsy feeling that may come on suddenly and without warning. Though a friend said this was more akin to passing out than drowsiness. I told him I did not appreciate the insinuation and he fails to understand the complexities of this modern miracle cure.

There's no recommended dosage on the label but I found that entire the bottle seemed to do the trick. Though it's probably a good idea to consume some food when drinking this tasty beverage. But it can also be enjoyed in lieu of any solid food though that may not be recommended by the distillers, uh manufacturer.

There doesn't appear to be any recommendation as to the number of bottles, uh dosages on a daily basis either. My suggestion is that two bottles a day seems to be sufficient. But I woke up late this morning due to that stupid hangover and likely could have had at least half of a third bottle, uh dose of this fabulous syrup.

I've gone so far as to purchase a full case. I was lucky to find this available on a Sunday at the ABC store two blocks from my apartment. (God bless the Commonwealth of Virginia in its forward thinking on distribution of this product.) You can buy this over the counter just like any sinus decongestant. Only need to be 21 or older and show a drivers license but you need that too to buy the sinus medicine so it's no different.

I figure a case of this hangover cure-all should last until at least Thursday since its self-administered. But no worries if we run out, I will just walk to the ABC store for a refill on this prescription. Note, I don't think it would be wise to drive or operate machinery while using this product due to that sudden drowsy feeling.

With any luck daily regular consumption of this fine elixir should stave off any semblance of a hangover for months or years on end.

I hope this is helpful.

ArVaGuy

Bravo!

Sponsored content seems to be all the rage on the forums right now. ;):D

Edited by AdamSmith

I hope this is helpful.

ArVaGuy

Like @AdamSmith I am happy that this wonderful elixir provided the desired effect. However, I'm confused... or perhaps you are confused.... or rather I am more confused than I normally am... and I have been known to be confused. You posted this at 12:46 AM, yet you reference waking up "late this morning". Perhaps you woke up late the previous morning, and that would explain why you indulged in as many doses as you have mentioned.... or possibly you are in a totally different time zone from what you seem to imply in your posting.... Could it be possible that you are not even in the Commonwealth of Virginia and you don't even know it?!? Perhaps younare really in the Commonwealth of Australia in which case do give my regards to @mike carey !!!

In any event, I had not previously known about this wonderful product. I really think it could be a great benefit to someone like myself who only has to look at a drink and I get a hangover. Plus, I have been experiencing periods of insomnia of late. Something tells me that it would be the perfect cure. Also, with any luck this magical elixir will also cure my planters warts, remove wrinkles, liver spots, my tendency for apoplectic fits, cure my sciatica, and enhance my endowment... Or at the very least make me feel that it does!

The last great product that I had heard about was called Vitameatavegamin... This seems to make that product totally obsolete. You are the best @ArVaGuy !!! Many thanks! And definitely Cheers!

Thank God (or god) for gin. My aunt turned me on when she had me make her martinis. I was 7 (this was a LONG time ago.) Does anyone else think that those who drink vodka martinis are just wimps? ;)

Then I'm a wimp. I can't stand the way gin martinis taste. Nor can I drink a G&T, but that's understandable, as I loathe tonic. But I've had a gin-based punch I liked, so it may depend on how much gin there is and what it's combined with.

It may be my taste buds, as I have a decided aversion to bitter. (Endive, blech.) Mellow spirits go down much better than harsh ones, making Glenlivet far more enjoyable than an equivalent single malt that's harsher. And while vodka is my liquor of choice these days, I've enjoyed whiskey, tequila, and rum-based cocktails in the past. So it's not how strong the drink is, but how harsh.

Then I'm a wimp. I can't stand the way gin martinis taste.

I quite like a G&T, or even straight tonic water [or bitter lemon]. However, I'm quite partial to a glass of straight gin to sip on, I'm just worried that I'll drink too much of it! Next time I go abroad I should buy a couple of litres of Bombay Sapphire at the duty free on the way home. I can always use more of those blue bottles!

I quite like a G&T, or even straight tonic water [or bitter lemon]. However, I'm quite partial to a glass of straight gin to sip on, I'm just worried that I'll drink too much of it! Next time I go abroad I should buy a couple of litres of Bombay Sapphire at the duty free on the way home. I can always use more of those blue bottles!

Seeing as the gin martinis I've sampled have had little to no vermouth in them, it seems safe to say straight up gin and I don't get along. But that could probably be said of most hard liquors. Liqueur and Glenlivet seem to be the extent of what I can drink without a mixer.

Seeing as the gin martinis I've sampled have had little to no vermouth in them, it seems safe to say straight up gin and I don't get along. But that could probably be said of most hard liquors. Liqueur and Glenlivet seem to be the extent of what I can drink without a mixer.

You might like the "original" style of martini, which was a lot "wetter" with more or less 1:1 ratio of gin and vermouth. And sometimes simple syrup: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/original-martini-237573

As for Scotch, have you ever tasted Cardhu? A delicate Speyside with heather honey in the nose.

You might like the "original" style of martini, which was a lot "wetter" with more or less 1:1 ratio of gin and vermouth. And sometimes simple syrup: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/original-martini-237573

As for Scotch, have you ever tasted Cardhu? A delicate Speyside with heather honey in the nose.

Nice find Adam Smith...:D

Any liquor that comes with a carrying case, is my kinda liquor. ;)

http://alambic-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cardhu_12yo-2010-565x600.jpg

Nice find Adam Smith...:D

Any liquor that comes with a carrying case, is my kinda liquor. ;)

http://alambic-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cardhu_12yo-2010-565x600.jpg

But to get serious...

http://www.homewetbar.com/images/prod/dispenser-backpack-double185251.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Beverage-Dispenser-Backpack-KTBEVDS9/dp/B00BHZ3N6U

This confirms it!! Everything that I have heard about both of you guys "on the street" is all definiteky true! o_O

I'm not familiar with Cardhu. If it's more expensive than the least expensive Glenlivet, it's beyond my budget, though.

• 1 year later...
Thank God (or god) for gin. My aunt turned me on when she had me make her martinis. I was 7 (this was a LONG time ago.) Does anyone else think that those who drink vodka martinis are just wimps? ;)

If you ask me, everyday is Gin & Tonic Day. :cool:

Researchers at Innsbruck University found that people who enjoy bitter flavors like the tonic water in a gin and tonic, black coffee, and dark chocolate are more prone to "Machiavellianism, psychoticism, and narcissism," among other traits.

More than 900 men and women were surveyed in the Austrian study. In addition to grading sour, salty and bitter foods on a scale, participants were asked to answer questionnaires gauging their emotional stability.

"Supertasting, that is, having a high sensitivity to bitter compounds, has been consistently linked to increased emotionality in humans and rats," the study stated.

"Bitter taste experiences were shown to elicit harsher moral judgements and interpersonal hostility."

Scientists found that those who favored bitter food and drinks more often than not displayed a higher number of negative personality traits.

Researchers at Innsbruck University found that people who enjoy bitter flavors like the tonic water in a gin and tonic, black coffee, and dark chocolate are more prone to "Machiavellianism, psychoticism, and narcissism," among other traits.

More than 900 men and women were surveyed in the Austrian study. In addition to grading sour, salty and bitter foods on a scale, participants were asked to answer questionnaires gauging their emotional stability.

"Supertasting, that is, having a high sensitivity to bitter compounds, has been consistently linked to increased emotionality in humans and rats," the study stated.

"Bitter taste experiences were shown to elicit harsher moral judgements and interpersonal hostility."

Scientists found that those who favored bitter food and drinks more often than not displayed a higher number of negative personality traits.

Or we just have a more sophisticated palate;)