Is Simon Camden Gay??????

Kippy
This topic is 7145 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On the WB's Seventh Heaven opener tonight an ensuing conflict between young hunk Simon and his parents is a brewing. In the previews it says in the next few weeks his "dark secret" will be revealed. He's now back with "old friend" Georgia who could easily turn out to be his hag... any thoughts? This one theme not frequently visited by this otherwise family friendly show!!:o

I dont think the show's writers would ever imply that the character of Simon Camden as being gay. It'll be too controversial. At the beginning of last season, Simon Camden had caused an automobie accident, maybe three episodes later, the character was written out of the show. I think that was the first time in the show's history where they used tragedy in a story line. The producers had never gone to great lengths like that before. After Gallagher departed, the show was toned down slightly to allow for some more light hearted drama.

In the current season, Stephen Gallagher is back on the show, along with Barry Watson. In terms of where the producers would like to take Stephen Gallagher's character. I dont think they would ever take to the extreme as being gay. Maybe the maximum, he's doing drugs or he's dating a pregnant woman. The show itself has been sold on the premise as a family oriented program for the last nine seasons or so. Having a gay character written into the show might make things interesting, but I think this would make a lot of people feel uneasy and eventually pummel the show in ratings for the WB network. One of the producers, Brenda Hampton has stated many times that the core audience of the show are Christians, being one herself, she has no intention of upsetting her audience.

Rohale

Well, I tuned in for the second part of this episode. All I can say is that I now remember why I stopped watching the program. I found it emotionally manipulative, shallow, and a real disappointment.

But, they did preview that Aaron Carter was going to the special guest next week. Could that be Simon's new love interest?? (Ya, sure.) :+

Simon broke up with his girlfriend and ended up in bed with another girl. He's on probation from college due to missing too many classes while partying.

Simon went to one counseling session to deal with the guilt of killing someone in a car accident. He doesn't think that his current behavior is "linked" to the accident.

He's feeling guilt over his behavior and doesn't quite know what to do. His father, the preacher, suggested praying to Jesus and confessing his sins.

Lucy is pregnant and I think it's a girl. She's starting a Sunday School class in abstinence at her father's church.

The youngest daughter (can't remember her name) is now in high school. She still grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalk board. Someone needs to give her a good bitch slap and permanently sew her mouth shut. (Can't they write her out of the script??)

The two youngest brothers are really growing up. I feel very sorry for one of them because he has a terrible speech problem (I don't think that's part of the script). They really need to replace him until he gets the problem fixed.

Other than that, there's nothing new with the program. But, I just absolutely hate it when the characters do a monologue that sounds like they preaching in church. x(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ReturnOfS

OMG!! Can someone tell me when David Gallagher went from being a baby-faced wet behind the ears punk to being such a hottie?!!! Plus there are so many other young hotties on the show. I've never really watched 7th Heaven before in the past, but now I'm going to be a regular watcher. :9

• 1 month later...

RE:Gay Theme Storylines on the WB Network

Simon Camden may not be gay, but it doesn't mean the WB network doesn't take notice of a potential storyline and have the writers and producers approach the material in a philisophical way.

On the WB Network, they have a show called " Jack & Bobby ". The show is produced by Greg Belanti ( Everwood, West Wing ). He penned a story for the show that aired last Wednesday night. I certainly think it's one of the best new shows to hit the airwaves this season thus far. Anyways one of the characters in the show is Jack MacAlistair ( played by Matt Long ).

At the beginning of the episode, he finds out that a friend of his on the High School Track Team had committed suicide. From that moment, there are a series of recent flashbacks, where the audience finds out who Jack had befriended. As it turns out, it's one of the jocks who all the young girls think he's hott. Yet, he seems uncomfortable around girls. As story progresses, the audience finds out that this friend has a particular crush on Jack. Straight away, Jack makes it clear to his friend that he likes girls, but at the same time his friend needs someone to talk to. So the character of Jack listens to him as much as he can. At the end of the hour, when all is said and done, the friend kills himself, he felt that life was not worth living. The character of Jack blamed himself for not making anyone else aware of the situation at hand.

I really thought the show did the story in a more dignified approach . Within the same episode it was nice to see Tom Cavanagh ( NBC Ed ) back on television playing the role of Jack's gay uncle who has come to visit his siter and her two sons.

Overall it was a really good storyline and I felt that the shows writers certainly didn't try to sugar coat the issue as most network dramas do. I'm glad the WB aired a gay theme episode and I felt it seemed to be effective.

Rohale

RE:Gay Theme Storylines on the WB Network

Big fan of both "Jack and Bobby" and "Everwood". Great shows - I think the writing and acting are excellent in both.

I found out via OutQ that "Everwood" is actually either directed or written...perhaps both - I don't remember...by a gay guy. It hasn't dealt with gay issues in a major way yet (well, it has, but not directly with main characters anyways...the one situation that developed on the side isn't particularly positive, but it isn't mean to be).

As for the the gay-themed "Jack and Bobby", I thought it was excellet. To me, it just emphasized that people really need someone they can trust to talk to about ANYTHING without having to fear judgment, and I think that's a really positive message to portray. I was also impressed that at the very end, they gave the number for a help hotline for GLBT teens. We need more networks willing to do things like this. I hope this show survives, as it's one of the most interesting and daring new shows I've seen in a while.

"The youngest daughter (can't remember her name) is now in high school. She still grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalk board. Someone needs to give her a good bitch slap and permanently sew her mouth shut."

Is her name Kippy too?:)

Jack and Bobby was excellent !!!!! So many topics that are considered taboo :

1) The mother of the gay kid knew he was gay...they dont say how, but she knew. When faced with the choice whether or not to actually hear from Bobby that her son was gay, SHE REFUSES !!! Very taboo but very real that some parents just dont want to know, even if it just cost their child his life.

2) The drunken gay uncle's declaration "Im not screwed up cause Im gay...Im just screwed up." Some people are just fucked up and should not use their sexuality, or the trials thereof, as an excuse.

Of course, we are all fucked up to some degree and I have sympathy for all persons in pain (seriously)

3) Bobby had to face the fact (actually it is not a fact, but my opinion) that he did not do enough for his gay friend. It seemed that it was too much for Bobby to deal with and he dropped the ball. He isnt guilty of the kid's death, but its nice to see the straight guy feel bad for not be open minded enough (sorry, my own shit is coming through here).

4) Gay guy tells best friend that he is in love with him. Way taboo cause my friends couldnt even deal with the fact that I find some of them hot

Archived