A Plea to Forum Members

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3020 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ladies and Gentlemen--

A simple plea:

FWIW: Please do not use an acronym unless it is clearly in the common parlance.

FYI is pretty obvious to most of us [For Your Information]

WHET is borderline [what ever happened to]

DYKWIA is way out there [Do You Know Who I Am?]

If you must, I would suggest you write the acronym out the first time.

"IMHO, Toyota is TBCITW". [The Best Car In The World].

Some of us are (a) a little more senior; (b) not so hip in our vocabulary; and/or © just slow on the uptake.

Thank you all for your support. I shall now STFU.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ladies and Gentlemen--

A simple plea:

FWIW: Please do not use an acronym unless it is clearly in the common parlance.

FYI is pretty obvious to most of us [For Your Information]

WHET is borderline [what ever happened to]

DYKWIA is way out there [Do You Know Who I Am?]

If you must, I would suggest you write the acronym out the first time.

"IMHO, Toyota is TBCITW". [The Best Car In The World].

Some of us are (a) a little more senior; (b) not so hip in our vocabulary; and/or © just slow on the uptake.

Thank you all for your support. I shall now STFU.

TBCITW (see above) is a Mini Cooper convertible with the top down and the wind blowing through what's left of your hair! IMHO.

Haha, I don't expect DYKWIA to reappear on this forum. If the topic relates to travel I will use the acronyms found on FlyerTalk.

Well, I flew out of* DFW, DCA, STL and LAX and I damn well want to be recognised. But I am a foreigner so that won't happen! I had no idea to start with what DYKWIA meant but I didn't really care, now I know, the discussion of it is funny. As I said earlier, KW can say whatever he likes, my mouth would be full do I couldn't object.

*'out of' should be 'from'.

Shoot!!!! Does that mean that I can't use BDSM!? :( Please say that ain't so! It's really the only one I ever use! So please can we make an exception for that one! Purdy please!!!

Big Daddy Sandwich Maker...

Bull Dyke Sewing Machine...

...Beyond some point everything starts to sound salacious. :p

Shoot!!!! Does that mean that I can't use BDSM!? :( Please say that ain't so! It's really the only one I ever use! So please can we make an exception for that one! Purdy please!!!

I think you should be able to use BDSM... but whipped, not sure if you should be using BDSM with' purdy please '. How about 'fuck yea, I'm using BDSM.'

I think you should be able to use BDSM... but whipped, not sure if you should be using BDSM with' purdy please '. How about 'fuck yea, I'm using BDSM.'

Actually the letters in BDSM can refer to all of the following. So depending on the context things can get a bit convoluted. Still, JJJ is right. FUCK YEA I'm gonna keep using it!

Bondage

Bottom

Discipline

Dom/Dominatrix

Dominance

Sadism

Slave

Sub

Submission

Masochism

Master/Mistress

Either that or it references Bored and Deprived Soccer Moms!

Hopefully never here!

Haha, I don't expect DYKWIA to reappear on this forum. If the topic relates to travel I will use the acronyms found on FlyerTalk. The massive list of those acronyms & terms can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

You travel divas crack me up! :) I was able to figure it out, but it amazes me that Platinum travelers have occasion to use "Do you know who I am?" often enough that they have an established acronym in the frequent flyer bible. As a member of the travel peasant class, I never knew these secrets of the travel nobility. I'll just keep my head down on my half-dozen flights per year and try not to look any nobles in the eye. :)

Well, I flew out of* DFW, DCA, STL and LAX and I damn well want to be recognised. But I am a foreigner so that won't happen! I had no idea to start with what DYKWIA meant but I didn't really care, now I know, the discussion of it is funny. As I said earlier, KW can say whatever he likes, my mouth would be full do I couldn't object.

*'out of' should be 'from'.

Well, Mike, I think ICAO codes don't exactly count on do not use....some cities I know better by their ICAO than their actual names...go figure :)

Actually the letters in BDSM can refer to all of the following. So depending on the context things can get a bit convoluted. Still, JJJ is right. FUCK YEA I'm gonna keep using it!

Bondage

Bottom

Discipline

Dom/Dominatrix

Dominance

Sadism

Slave

Sub

Submission

Masochism

Master/Mistress

Either that or it references Bored and Deprived Soccer Moms!

Hopefully never here!

The standard line - at least the one I've seen - is that it stands for the following:

Bondage/discipline (BD)

Sadism/masochism (SM)

Dominance/submission (DS)

with a lot of overlap between categories.

I would recognize IMO, IMHO, IMNSHO, but generally my style would be to write "it seems to me",

in the vain hopes of minimizing the adversarial aspects ...

I generally avoid IMO and the like because they strike me as self-important ways of putting it. (No disrespect to those who use them.) If it weren't my opinion, I wouldn't express it.

If the point is to indicate it's a subjective matter where opinions may reasonably differ, there are other circumlocutions that express that more clearly, like "in my view" or "it seems to me."

Archived