A Plea to Forum Members

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3028 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I generally avoid IMO and the like because they strike me as self-important ways of putting it. (No disrespect to those who use them.) If it weren't my opinion, I wouldn't express it.

If the point is to indicate it's a subjective matter where opinions may reasonably differ, there are other circumlocutions that express that more clearly, like "in my view" or "it seems to me."

I can tolerate IMO, still as QTR says if it were not her opinion she would not express it. However, IMHO kind of bugs me because rarely is there any humility implied or otherwise suggested in the manner in which many who use the phrase express themselves. Just IMHO of course! OOPS! :eek: :oops:

We've pretty much covered them all but G4P. When I seen that, it made me giggle. I haven't seen it used on the forum. But its everywhere else

(gay4pay) LOL

Geez Mr Kevin, all the while I though that meant Gentiles for Pastrami ???

I can tolerate IMO, still as QTR says if it were not her opinion she would not express it. However, IMHO kind of bugs me because rarely is there any humility implied or otherwise suggested in the manner in which many who use the phrase express themselves. Just IMHO of course! OOPS! :eek: :oops:

When someone writes "IMHO" he/she usually means "AYWSIYHAOOB*"

*As You Would See If You Had An Ounce Of Brains

:cool:

I have always assumed that IMHO is is intended to be tongue-in-cheek, since no one ever seriously claims to be humble.

Actually the letters in BDSM can refer to all of the following. So depending on the context things can get a bit convoluted. Still, JJJ is right. FUCK YEA I'm gonna keep using it!

Bondage

Bottom

Discipline

Dom/Dominatrix

Dominance

Sadism

Slave

Sub

Submission

Masochism

Master/Mistress

Either that or it references Bored and Deprived Soccer Moms!

Hopefully never here!

From my documentation days

[Bondage | Bottom] and [Discipline | {Dom | Dominatrix} | Dominance] and [Sadism | Slave | Sub | Submission] and [Masochism | {Master | Mistress}].

From my documentation days

[Bondage | Bottom] and [Discipline | {Dom | Dominatrix} | Dominance] and [Sadism | Slave | Sub | Submission] and [Masochism | {Master | Mistress}].

As much as people say they hate "labeling", its very much a necessary Evil....

I generally avoid IMO and the like because they strike me as self-important ways of putting it. (No disrespect to those who use them.) If it weren't my opinion, I wouldn't express it.

If the point is to indicate it's a subjective matter where opinions may reasonably differ, there are other circumlocutions that express that more clearly, like "in my view" or "it seems to me."

"In my opinion, and I am unanimous in this ...!" -- Mrs. Slocombe, Are You Being Served?

When someone writes "IMHO" he/she usually means "AYWSIYHAOOB*"

*As You Would See If You Had An Ounce Of Brains

:cool:

(SFMMY) Speaking for myself mind you, I think of IMHO a little differently. To me it is saying, "I humbly submit". Taking a more subservient role or humble position. Acknowledging those that are more knowledgeable than I. BTJM...(but that's just me)

(SFMMY) Speaking for myself mind you, I think of IMHO a little differently. To me it is saying, "I humbly submit". Taking a more subservient role or humble position. Acknowledging those that are more knowledgeable than I. BTJM...(but that's just me)

Oh thank god! I use IMO & IMHO b/c my parents raised me to respect those with more experience and knowledge. I find my forum peers to be really smart and some quite wise. Whenever I insert my opinion & feel I need to acknowledge others in the group, I hear Mom & Dad in my head saying "state your opinion respectfully." I've been shocked when folks react negatively to my IMos and IMHOs and such. I think sometimes we infer tone and attitude in people's text, when in fact, it is just text.

Oh thank god! I use IMO & IMHO b/c my parents raised me to respect those with more experience and knowledge. I find my forum peers to be really smart and some quite wise. Whenever I insert my opinion & feel I need to acknowledge others in the group, I hear Mom & Dad in my head saying "state your opinion respectfully." I've been shocked when folks react negatively to my IMos and IMHOs and such. I think sometimes we infer tone and attitude in people's text, when in fact, it is just text.

Some people use it one way, some people use it the other. I would feel like a phony using it because I don't generally express an opinion unless I think it's well-founded and on a par with others' opinions. That may seem egotistical, but keep in mind I was trained in argumentation. (It's called law school.)

Some people use it one way, some people use it the other. I would feel like a phony using it because I don't generally express an opinion unless I think it's well-founded and on a par with others' opinions. That may seem egotistical, but keep in mind I was trained in argumentation. (It's called law school.)

I don't find that egotistical at all. You are owning your thinking and writing style. I respect the authenticity. Do you ever let go of the need to have it be well-founded & on par with others' opinions?

I don't find that egotistical at all. You are owning your thinking and writing style. I respect the authenticity. Do you ever let go of the need to have it be well-founded & on par with others' opinions?

Not really. In that case, I just keep my trap shut. Although sometimes writing helps me think something through, but I don't usually do that here.

(In case no one noticed, I am Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series, except I belong to Ravenclaw, not Gryffindor.)

I was instant messaging my boss a few years ago and ended the message with TTYL (Talk To You Later) which I had done hundreds of times. He finally asked me what it meant and I made fun of him (he was a couple of years younger than me). From then on I would just IM him random letters and see if he would ask. About 6 months later he asked if I was just messaging random letters because nothing came up when he googled the letters!

Some 15-20 years ago, I put a post-it note on a report and give it to one of my department managers. At the top of the note it said "FYI", followed by an observation about the report. The guy was probably in his late 20's at the time ... and he was furious with me. It took some work to figure out why, but I finally realized he thought "FYI" meant "F* You Idiot".

Some 15-20 years ago, I put a post-it note on a report and give it to one of my department managers. At the top of the note it said "FYI", followed by an observation about the report. The guy was probably in his late 20's at the time ... and he was furious with me. It took some work to figure out why, but I finally realized he thought "FYI" meant "F* You Idiot".

Who doesn't know FYI? Smh. (That's "shaking my head.")

Ladies and Gentlemen--

A simple plea:

FWIW: Please do not use an acronym unless it is clearly in the common parlance.

FYI is pretty obvious to most of us [For Your Information]

WHET is borderline [what ever happened to]

DYKWIA is way out there [Do You Know Who I Am?]

If you must, I would suggest you write the acronym out the first time.

"IMHO, Toyota is TBCITW". [The Best Car In The World].

Some of us are (a) a little more senior; (b) not so hip in our vocabulary; and/or © just slow on the uptake.

Thank you all for your support. I shall now STFU.

I use the Urban Dictionary when needed.

Archived