Luxury fine china/porcelain brands

JohnGerman
This topic is 3013 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recently a nouveau maga riche "friend" of mine was chatting with me about his lifestyle. He complained about his wife's shopping habits, which was basically nothing but name brands. And he mentioned they bought a set of fine china that cost in the five digits. I didn't know a modern china table set could even go that high. Do you guys know what brands that can command that type of prices? I would assume those are all hand painted?

Based on the cost of several china sets used in the White House, I can see a 20 place setting set of Pickard running in the 5 digits. However, if your friend's wife is drawn to name brands, this might not be the china she purchased. While it is a name brand, it is not as well known as some of the other brands mentioned in this thread.

It doesn't make the food taste any different........ ;)

I came to the same realization. Now I simply admire it when I go to a department store.

All of the best high end clothing designers ( Gucci, Fendi, Versace, Vuitton) have tableware too.

True that! I've never understood the draw of china patterns designed by clothing designers. I don't think they are necessarily "bad," but if I am inclined to spend money on china I am going to spend it on china designed by an artisan. That's why I have started collecting dinnerware made by independent potters.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!!! Are we men or are we men here??? What's all this shit about china and dinnerware. Aren't we suppose to be chatting about hot men, big dicks, fucking and sucking??? Now let's get back to what this forum is suppose to be about. Now let's be men!!!!

Although I do hear that Flora Danica pattern by Royal Copenhagen is exquisite......just exquisite. ;)

Hey!!! Are we men or are we men here??? What's all this shit about china and dinnerware. Aren't we suppose to be chatting about hot men, big dicks, fucking and sucking??? Now let's get back to what this forum is suppose to be about. Now let's be men!!!!

How about a compromise? Porcelain cocks anyone?

http://a5.img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/952/2198952/2198952_130613095831_DSCF6323.JPG

One more brand you could pay that much for is Spode.

(Eating dinner one night at Hotel Le Toiny on St Bart's, I was startled to notice even the toilets, in the public areas at least, bore the Spode label. :eek: )

At 1500+ euro ID like spode toothpicks as well. Maybe even a spode dildo. And I'm not even into toys.

That said, I have some stonewear I got at an outlet store 30 + years ago that still impresses friends. Oh yeah, they're gay. But they're more interested in the food and wine than the plates I serve it on. :)

Now I want a Spode commode.

St. Bart's caters to many people who think their shit don't stink. As such, a Spode commode seems appropriate.

Ostentatious wealth carries little weight with me, but I guess someone has to spend the equivalent of the yearly salary of three school teachers, on a china service for 20 they use a couple of times a year.

On the other hand, I have lost too many second portions of lasagna to the weakness of paper plates. So a nice functional stoneware seems practical, wont break the budget and wont crack under the weight of my mother's home cooking.

On the other hand, I have lost too many second portions of lasagna to the weakness of paper plates. So a nice functional stoneware seems practical, wont break the budget and wont crack under the weight of my mother's home cooking.

I feel your pain PK I to have lost many a second helpings bc of paper plates. :oops:

"the equivalent of the yearly salary of three school teachers, " Give a thought to the MANY artisans employed in the manufacture of such products, they too need jobs.

As a frugal person (miser sounds so cheap), I have to agree with PK here. Employment is nice, but it's not as though those artisans couldn't hand-paint china and sell it on their own, and I'll bet more of the profit goes to the business owners than the artisans.

Well consider the expense of a work place, a potters wheel, a kiln, supplies, marketing 'inexpensive" wares not very economical etc. vs steady work wages,paid holidays,pensions etc. Mass production does make many things less expensive.Not everyone is able to or wants to be an independent business person. There is a place for all in the spectrum of human endeavour

True, but let's not pretend these aren't overpriced luxury goods for which the main financial reward goes to business owners, not artisans and that many people who buy them buy them as much for reasons of conspicuous consumption as aesthetic ones or an appreciation for the artisans.

I've bought hand-painted plates for much less (like $30 a plate) in a shop in Boothbay Harbor, Maine (ironically enough, painted by a woman in New Jersey, where I live), but I'm pretty sure the artist bought the base plain white or cream colored plates wholesale. Those weren't handmade.

The finished product is not "name" brand and she doesn't make them in large enough quantities for them to be purchased and collected the same way as the brands mentioned above. Although they're functional, they're sold more as decorative.

Well consider the expense of a work place, a potters wheel, a kiln, supplies, marketing 'inexpensive" wares not very economical etc. vs steady work wages,paid holidays,pensions etc. Mass production does make many things less expensive.Not everyone is able to or wants to be an independent business person. There is a place for all in the spectrum of human endeavour

I have purchased plates made by a potter. Each one is unique and completely hand-made. They cost between $20 - $40 each, with the price varying by size and the intricacy of the design.

The various name-brand china producers use factories, else they would not be able to mass produce the products they sell around the world. If the china is hand-painted, the painting is done based on established patterns and is the paint is applied to mass-produced blank porcelain plates. For example, after Spode filed for administration (the UK's equivalent of bankruptcy) Portmeirion bought their intellectual property (e.g. their designs) and began producing them at their existing factories. My guess is the factory workers do not receive wages commensurate with the sales price of the products they manufacture.

I have purchased plates made by a potter. Each one is unique and completely hand-made. They cost between $20 - $40 each, with the price varying by size and the intricacy of the design.

The various name-brand china producers use factories, else they would not be able to mass produce the products they sell around the world. If the china is hand-painted, the painting is done based on established patterns and is the paint is applied to mass-produced blank porcelain plates. For example, after Spode filed for administration (the UK's equivalent of bankruptcy) Portmeirion bought their intellectual property (e.g. their designs) and began producing them at their existing factories. My guess is the factory workers do not receive wages commensurate with the sales price of the products they manufacture.

You made a better case for my point than I did. In a few instances, an artisan may originate a design, but that's not however mass production usually works.

You made a better case for my point than I did. In a few instances, an artisan may originate a design, but that's not however mass production usually works.

Well, this guy actually makes the stuff. I can't recall whether I found him at a gallery on 3rd off La Cienega in LA or at one in Santa Fe.

Well, this guy actually makes the stuff. I can't recall whether I found him at a gallery on 3rd off La Cienega in LA or at one in Santa Fe.

The woman I referred to also runs a small operation and sells to select housewares and crafts shops, possibly mostly in the Northeast, but she's not a potter and the plates, etc. aren't hand made. It's been so long I no longer remember her name or the name of her business. I'd have to ask the person to whom I gave the plate I bought.

Archived