Video: Teacher loses it when 1st grader answers math question wrong

FreshFluff
This topic is 3023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/nyregion/success-academy-teacher-rips-up-student-paper.html?src=recg&_r=1

It's very easy to get upset if they don't prepare and answer questions wrong. It's also easy to go into class in a bad mood and take it out on students. But teachers learn quickly learn that honey works much better than vinegar.

Yes, this is only sixty seconds, but note that the assistant teacher started filming before the teacher got angry. She must have known this would happen. (Of course, she may have filmed at other times when nothing helped.)

The "self esteem culture" is a problem, but that argument is a straw man in this context. This isn't honesty. It's abuse. In any case, I think the school, not the teacher, is ultimately responsible for this. Notice the quote from school administrator Eva Moskowitz.

Oh, for God's sake, it's not like she took a paddle and swatted the kid. In my day. corporal punishment by teachers was legal when I went to public school in California. Now just calling out an uncooperative student is considered an absolute horror, apparently. No wonder the young adults of today act like such spoiled brats--because they are.

The girl looked pretty cooperative to me; look at how fast she went over to that "calm down chair." She just looked confused. It appears that the teacher was in a bad mood to begin with. Listen to the anger in her voice when she initially tells the student to "count." Even if the student wasn't really trying, there's no reason to make it all about her and her feelings. ("THere's nothing that infuriates me more..") It takes time, but most teachers eventually learn to leave their issues at the classroom door, and with good reason.

I went to a public elementary school in the same state as you. I had a teacher who took out her frustrations on students, sometimes for no apparent reason. She also pushed students, pulled hair, and so on. I doubt anyone benefited from it.

(Contrast that with a few excellent British-born teachers I had at my private middle school. They were tough and strict about enforcing rules, but they weren't mean.)

I've watched the video....I'm still confused about why I'm supposed to be so applaud and why the NY Times thought this was "news".

A little harsh....sure.

"News?"...."abuse?"...."shocking"...."losing it"?....hardly.

Hell, my parents would have gone out of their way to thank the teacher....and sue the person who recorded it ....lmao.

The proof is in the pudding as they say...."Success is known for its students’ high achievement on state tests"

....maybe other teachers at lesser schools should be taking notes instead of throwing stones at a one minute video.

It looked to me as if the student didn't "miss a question," but rather just wouldn't follow instructions. All of the other students seemed to get it. In other times, the student would have been dealt with more severely. Being told to sit in a corner is hardly a harsh punishment.

I was appalled at her behavior...I come from a long line of teachers and administrators. My mother taught for 35 years, and received awards and accolades also, and I can assure you, that never in her wildest dreams would she have talked to a student in such a disrespectful manner, and I am proud to say, neither would have any of my Aunts, uncles or cousins. In fact Mother never spoke to us in such a demeaning way.

What does this teach children about how to handle frustration and disappointment? Tear things up? Raise your voice and demean someone? Order people around? There are other lessons being taught in the video aside from mathematics.

And what about the other incident where the teacher roughly pulled a student's hair into a ponytail when the student was playing with her hair? I'm very concerned about this too.

I was appalled at her behavior...I come from a long line of teachers and administrators. My mother taught for 35 years, and received awards and accolades also, and I can assure you, that never in her wildest dreams would she have talked to a student in such a disrespectful manner, and I am proud to say, neither would have any of my Aunts, uncles or cousins. In fact Mother never spoke to us in such a demeaning way.

Interesting. At the publicly owned, international and multi billion dollar in annual revenue company I work at if a manager or executive did as this teacher they would be in a significant amount of trouble - we're talking reprimand and possibly career limiting. That's even the case when everyone involved may be making $200,000 or more per year.

This video is reflects unacceptable behavior from a teacher. A child not comprehending a topic doesn't deserve that sort of response.

IF the student had not made an effort, had been disrespectful, or acted out, then I could accept the teacher's response. But just for missing a question....

It looked to me as if the student didn't "miss a question," but rather just wouldn't follow instructions. All of the other students seemed to get it. In other times, the student would have been dealt with more severely. Being told to sit in a corner is hardly a harsh punishment.

Sorry guys - sam, I agree until the second paragraph. That kind of teacher behavior is never acceptable, for any reason.

Unicorn - maybe the student was not able to follow instructions, rather than "wouldn't" follow them.

As an advocate for children and in the state of California, this teacher's actions would be considered tantamount to abuse!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/nyregion/success-academy-teacher-rips-up-student-paper.html?src=recg&_r=1

It's very easy to get upset if they don't prepare and answer questions wrong. It's also easy to go into class in a bad mood and take it out on students. But teachers learn quickly learn that honey works much better than vinegar.

Yes, this is only sixty seconds, but note that the assistant teacher started filming before the teacher got angry. She must have known this would happen. (Of course, she may have filmed at other times when nothing helped.)

The "self esteem culture" is a problem, but that argument is a straw man in this context. This isn't honesty. It's abuse. In any case, I think the school, not the teacher, is ultimately responsible for this. Notice the quote from school administrator Eva Moskowitz.

Too loud!

giphy.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzrv2yPqKT1qax1a7.gif

http://i.imgur.com/j1CRMwQ.gif

Unbelievable.... She should NOT be a teacher....

In Michael Moore's new movie "Where To Invade Next", he interviews teachers in Finland and to why they are #1 and we (USA) are #29 in education....

Very enlightening and spot on....

We don't have a clue in how to educate our children to prepare them for the future....

"Then Moore travels to Finland, which has become a top global performer in education, in large part because its system eschews standardised testing and gives children very little homework. The education there isn’t painful, it’s organic, and it gives kids room to breathe. That’s why they perform well."

"Then Moore travels to Finland, which has become a top global performer in education, in large part because its system eschews standardised testing and gives children very little homework. The education there isn’t painful, it’s organic, and it gives kids room to breathe. That’s why they perform well."

Wealth inequality here in the US is far more severe than it is in Finland. There's also a lot more diversity in our population, which means we're affected by racism and other issues they don't face. So even if we imported their entire school system and scaled it up, it's unlikely we'd achieve the same results.

Wealth inequality here in the US is far more severe than it is in Finland. There's also a lot more diversity in our population, which means we're affected by racism and other issues they don't face. So even if we imported their entire school system and scaled it up, it's unlikely we'd achieve the same results.

As was noted in the movie, there are NO private schools in Finland. ALL schools are public and ALL kids RICH and POOR go to the same schools.

Gee, when the RICH kid goes to the SAME school as the POOR kid, perhaps the wealthy will take an active interest in quality of education.

Also, when rich and poor kids develop friendships when young and respect each other when young, it is harder for the rich to screw the poor over and vice versa.

The teacher who came from the US and now teaches in Finland gives a compelling account of how much we (US) do wrong in the movie.

Gee, when the RICH kid goes to the SAME school as the POOR kid, perhaps the wealthy will take an active interest in quality of education.

Also, when rich and poor kids develop friendships when young and respect each other when young, it is harder for the rich to screw the poor over and vice versa.

As I posted above, changing our methods might improve our results somewhat. But applying Finland's methods in a different setting would not necessarily get us the same results.

Also, even if the US were somehow able to ban private schools, people would continue to self-segregate by income and, to a lesser degree, race.

I am a big fan of Micheal Moore .I just saw WHERE TO INVADE NEXT and found it was a very simplistic and superficial look at educational systems in other countries.Its important to see what's possible but more important to examine the changes that need to be made on a bigger scale to make it work.I guess one movie can only do so much.

Archived