Diabetic cooking

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Any suggestions on websites wih tasty recipes? No I am not diabetic but the Hungarian (the boy) is just about. I'm willing to alter some of my eating habits but I will not do artificial sugars, give up my fancy pants chocolate or my ice cream! I'm willingto compromise to a certain extent.

Hugs,

Greg

Any suggestions on websites wih tasty recipes? No I am not diabetic but the Hungarian (the boy) is just about. I'm willing to alter some of my eating habits but I will not do artificial sugars, give up my fancy pants chocolate or my ice cream! I'm willingto compromise to a certain extent.

Hugs,

Greg

Ok not a recipe but...

A good sugar substitute is agave syrup. It's sweeter than sugar... tastes like buttered honey to me (think maple syrup and butter on pancakes). It's low glycemic. You can use it in almost anything in place of sugar. I use it for tea, baking, etc., etc.

Try stevia. It isn't even a sugar, but it gives a taste as sweet if not sweeter than sugar (and baking with it does not affect the "sugary" taste). I would concur on agave nectar, but, that is still a sugar--albeit one with a low glycemic index.

It's all about the glycemic response. While agave tastes sweet the glycemic response is almost undetectable within two hours of consumption.

Hugs,

Greg

more veggies, raw is better than cooked, no oils, no fats except what's in veggies. For example, I eat sweet potatoes with avocado in place of butter. Even olive oil has 120 calories per t?spoon, I forget if it's teaspoon or tablespoon because I threw mine out. No cheese. Get the fats out! The only way the body can store fats is to process them into sugars first and diabetics don't need sugar, we're sweet enough!

I am a type II diabetic. Stay away from all the white stuff:white rice, whole milk; white potato, pasta . Use the freshest the best ingredients that you can get. In my neck of the woods we have a variety of flour produced by a company known as KING ARTHUR FLOUR. They have a great White Whole Wheat. It is easier to incorporate into recipes that traditional whole wheat flour. Use complex carbs: wheat berries, spelt, farrow are all good substitutes for rice and white potato. Sweet Potato is good. I don't use sugar unless the recipe can't work with out it. I love homemade oatmeal cookies which doesn't work without standard sugar.

I am a type II diabetic. Stay away from all the white stuff:white rice, whole milk; white potato, pasta . Use the freshest the best ingredients that you can get. In my neck of the woods we have a variety of flour produced by a company known as KING ARTHUR FLOUR. They have a great White Whole Wheat. It is easier to incorporate into recipes that traditional whole wheat flour. Use complex carbs: wheat berries, spelt, farrow are all good substitutes for rice and white potato. Sweet Potato is good. I don't use sugar unless the recipe can't work with out it. I love homemade oatmeal cookies which doesn't work without standard sugar.

To piggyback on cb, when it comes to Type II Diabetes prevention, consider eating 2 whole eggs per day. Before anyone scream "SATURATED FAT!!!!!!!!", there is some evidence to indicate that persons who do 2 eggs a day have a lower chance of developing Type II. Keep in mind that eggs are a NATURAL saturated fat, and as I have said before, consuming natural saturated fats IN MODERATION is good for people....as long as you keep your consumption of manufactured fats LOOOOOOOOOOW. If you need the sweet taste in Life, I do trumpet stevia (not a big fan of the taste of agave nectar) because stevia tastes like sugar but isn't sugar, and if you bake cookies & such, it will taste like sugar when eaten. Like my mama says about sugar "If I did not put it in there, then I will not eat it".

On a different note, be physically active. It could be the gym or biking or hiking or even a good brisk 30 minute walk (add a weight vest). My mother is pre-diabetic, so I am altering her food worldview.

I don't use sugar unless the recipe can't work with out it. I love homemade oatmeal cookies which doesn't work without standard sugar.
I replaced the six tablespoons of RAW SUGAR in a spaghetti recipe from a friend with two cups of grated carrots. Once the tomatoes, carrots, garlic, and onions cooked down, you couldn't tell the carrots were in there. The friend ate the Whole Wheat pasta and couldn't figure out what I had changed. Once I told him I didn't use the RAW SUGAR, he couldn't figure out that I'd sweetened the sauce with carrots. It's a great cooking trick.

Not too sure about putting carrots in Oatmeal cookies, though I might try it. Oatmeal Carrot Cookies doesn't really sound too bad to me.

I replaced the six tablespoons of RAW SUGAR in a spaghetti recipe from a friend with two cups of grated carrots. Once the tomatoes, carrots, garlic, and onions cooked down, you couldn't tell the carrots were in there. The friend ate the Whole Wheat pasta and couldn't figure out what I had changed. Once I told him I didn't use the RAW SUGAR, he couldn't figure out that I'd sweetened the sauce with carrots. It's a great cooking trick.

Not too sure about putting carrots in Oatmeal cookies, though I might try it. Oatmeal Carrot Cookies doesn't really sound too bad to me.

Oatmeal carrot cookies sound good!

Hugs,

Greg

why not try the carrots in the oatmeal cookie. I'm going to try it. Bolognese sauce has carrots in it. I make my own tomato sauce and I never add sugar. I oven roast plum tomatoes first and then use those in the sauce. The roasting brings out sweetness that is in the tomato and concentrates the flavor.

agave nectar, but, that is still a sugar--

It's fructose. There is emerging view that the body doesn't tolerate fructose in concentrations higher than naturally occurring in fruits.

I think the best sugar alternative is Truvia - a blend of stevia and erythritol, both naturally occurring substances.

I grew up in a community that had lots of Italians. The Italian grandmothers used onion, celery and carrots to sweeten their red sauce - no sugar.

It's fructose. There is emerging view that the body doesn't tolerate fructose in concentrations higher than naturally occurring in fruits.
Interesting. But Fructose is better than High Fructose Corn Syrup, right?

I understand that the glycemic response to fructose and high fructose are both neutral for blood sugar, even though one is eating the calories or higher calories.

why not try the carrots in the oatmeal cookie. I'm going to try it. Bolognese sauce has carrots in it. I make my own tomato sauce and I never add sugar. I oven roast plum tomatoes first and then use those in the sauce. The roasting brings out sweetness that is in the tomato and concentrates the flavor.

Great idea. I'm oven roasting next time versus boiling and skinning the tomatoes.

Great idea. I'm oven roasting next time versus boiling and skinning the tomatoes.

I leave the skins on, place the cut tomato on a parchment line rimmed cookie sheet and roast in a convection oven. I turn them over a couple of times, leave them in until they appear roasted. I then place them in a tall container and use an immersion blender to mix them all up. The skins get blended right in. Sometimes I might add garlic sometimes not. From this point I can continue to make a sauce or just freeze this in smaller portions to use another time.

Archived