Stop the madness!!!!!

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3081 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I mean a real handkerchief, not the dainties we gays usually use to dab our brow, when collapsing on a stylish divan. :)

Yep, I meant a real handkerchief too. Here are the two vectors that come to mind for the "wet sneeze" to get from your handkerchief to your hand:

Vector 1:

1) Sneeze into handkerchief

2) Fluid permeates handkerchief and comes in contact with hand

3) Hand acquires virus/bacteria

Vector 2:

1) Sneeze into handkerchief

2) Grab handkerchief and put into pocket

3) Grab handkerchief out of pocket in advance of a sneeze

4) Hand acquires virus/bacteria

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do this during cold and flu season. It's been ages since I've had the flu (no flu shots for me thanks) and I rarely catch a cold.

You're like those patients who drive me nuts refusing all of their shots. The worst are those who catch colds after getting the flu shot and think the flu shot gave it to them. The flu is much, much more serious than colds. A flu will really knock you off your feet. Also, the flu is more likely to be transmitted airborne, whereas colds are more often caught from contaminated surfaces (door handles, elevator buttons, etc.). The cold virus can stay active for days on a door handle or other surface. Unlike the case with colds, a person can transmit the flu before he develops symptoms, so you can't count on being safe by avoiding sick people.

And QTR, if you are truly unable to sneeze or cough onto your sleeve instead of in your hands, it is better to cover your mouth with your hands, rather than do nothing, as long as you wash your hands and the handles of the faucet immediately after that. Coughing into the air spreads infectious particles all over the room, and those bastards stay infectious for a really long time.

1441212_com_800pxsneez.jpg

My Dad carries handkerchiefs. I always thought stuffing nasal drippings back into your pocket as being gross.

Gman

Apparently the Japanese are with you on this. I was in Nagoya on business one time and a Toyota exec who knew me well enough to speak frankly (he had lived ten years in the US, got used to forthrightness, said in fact now Japanese endless indirectness even in small internal meetings drove him nuts) said they thought us disgusting for using our hankies, then putting them back in our pockets. Thus the little mini-Kleenex packs that Japanese carry in their pockets, for nasal uses as well as drying their hands at the public restroom sink (where Westerners are surprised to find no paper towel dispensers, for that reason).

You are safe. I still keep always a handkerchief in my pant back left pocket. However since I moved bed to USA I adopted Kleenex and only use my old nasty tool to dry my forehead when it is hot.

Reminds me of the days when we put different colored bandanas in our back pocket to identify top/bottom and sexual likes. Maybe we'll go back to that with kleenex. LOL

You're like those patients who drive me nuts refusing all of their shots. The worst are those who catch colds after getting the flu shot and think the flu shot gave it to them. The flu is much, much more serious than colds. A flu will really knock you off your feet. Also, the flu is more likely to be transmitted airborne, whereas colds are more often caught from contaminated surfaces (door handles, elevator buttons, etc.). The cold virus can stay active for days on a door handle or other surface. Unlike the case with colds, a person can transmit the flu before he develops symptoms, so you can't count on being safe by avoiding sick people.

And QTR, if you are truly unable to sneeze or cough onto your sleeve instead of in your hands, it is better to cover your mouth with your hands, rather than do nothing, as long as you wash your hands and the handles of the faucet immediately after that. Coughing into the air spreads infectious particles all over the room, and those bastards stay infectious for a really long time.

Speaking of door handles....At the gym or any public restroom for that matter, do you touch the sink water handles AFTER you wash your hands to turn off the water? . Think about this..... When you finish wiping your butt and you walk over to the sink and turn the water on, you wash your hands, then you touch the handles to turn off the water that everyone else has touched after wiping. Do you realize the germs, bacteria, staph that are on the handles? . Just a thought.

Speaking of door handles....At the gym or any public restroom for that matter, do you touch the sink water handles AFTER you wash your hands to turn off the water? . Think about this..... When you finish wiping your butt and you walk over to the sink and turn the water on, you wash your hands, then you touch the handles to turn off the water that everyone else has touched after wiping. Do you realize the germs, bacteria, staph that are on the handles? . Just a thought.

I try to use my elbow to push open doors. I don't touch the hand railings on an escalator. If there are paper towels in the bathroom, I use one to turn the water off at the sink and use it again if I have to pull the door open. I never touch my eyes, mouth or nose if out in public. I wash my face and hands first thing as I come in the house at night. I sneeze & cough into my elbow. I think I do everything I'm supposed to do. And then some fool will sneeze or cough my way. Flu and cold season makes me want to become a recluse

In bathrooms I may turn it on with my hands. But after washing them, I turn it off with my elbows. And I open the bathroom door to leave with a paper towel. I see more and more public bathrooms at restaurants and the like putting a wastebasket near the exit door.

Gman

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0000/7756/products/StoipMadness_large.jpg?v=1265396412

http://www.chicagonow.com/sox-stuff/files/2015/08/anger.jpg

Imagine what it's like for health care providers such as myself, who has to see kids that actually cough or sneeze in my face. Why parents bring kids with colds to see the doctor is something I don't understand (unless the kid has asthma, or some other health condition).

Because they're told to.

I recently got my first ever REAL flu. I was in bed for a solid week and I now understand how it kills people in a weakened state. I never knew that it was so damn painful. And yes, I did get my flu shot. It was just one of the bugs the shot didn't work for. That said, I'm never going to consider skipping the flu shot again. Any protection is better than none.

Both types? I'm only familiar with the new Pneumovax.

Gman

Pneumovax at 50, Prevnar at 65, or 5 years after the Pneumovax, whichever comes later.

Because they're told to.

By whom? Not by the medical profession, I assure you. Advice RN's will usually advise against coming in, if your health plan has Advice RN's answering the phone.

By whom? Not by the medical profession, I assure you. Advice RN's will usually advise against coming in, if your health plan has Advice RN's answering the phone.

It's really dumb to call the advice nurse at Kaiser over anything but something pretty serious because they will almost always tell you to come in.

It's really dumb to call the advice nurse at Kaiser over anything but something pretty serious because they will almost always tell you to come in.

I assume "advice nurse" is the same thing as Nurseline for UHC. When I had my flu recently she had several conditions when I should go in, but otherwise, she advised to stay in bed. I was already feverish when I called so I couldn't remember all the conditions. The only one that stuck was to go in if my temp hit 104 degrees. Something about 103 for a certain period of time, but I just clung to the 104. Come on baby...stay below 104!!! I felt like I was playing a sick game with myself.

Pneumovax at 50, Prevnar at 65, or 5 years after the Pneumovax, whichever comes later.

And I just looked things up. If a 65 year old hasn't had the Pneumovax yet, they advise Prevnar 1st with Pneumovax 6 months to a year later. Plus Pneumovax is suggested for ages 19-64 for people with chronic heart, lung problems, and immune problems like asplenia.

Gman

And because it can be difficult at first to tell if it's a cold, allergies, or the flu, and as it is, parents may feel as if a diagnosis from someone with medical training is more reliable than the gut feelings of the untrained.

It's not difficult, and it's all done with history. The physical exam is not helpful in distinguishing between cold, allergies, or flu (unless taking a temperature is too challenging for the patient or parent). It can be done easily over the phone, and it is easy to explain the difference to almost anyone of even near-average intelligence.

And I just looked things up. If a 65 year old hasn't had the Pneumovax yet, they advise Prevnar 1st with Pneumovax 6 months to a year later. Plus Pneumovax is suggested for ages 19-64 for people with chronic heart, lung problems, and immune problems like asplenia.

Gman

Close:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/figures/m6434a4fbox.gif

Source:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6434a4.htm

I'm a little dubious. In fact, someone should hire me to study this. :) At a decent salary, please...

Congress will approve this study with no problem. Salary of $150,000 a year plus two male assistants of your choosing. Your tax dollars at work!! Any other bodily fluids you exchange with your assistants should not be included in your final report.

Archived