The Martian

MrMiniver
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Matt Damon gives one of the best performances of the year (along with Michael B. Jordan, Michael Caine, Tom Courtenay, and Eddie Redmayne) in this Ridley Scott film. Some are put off thinking it's about Martians but the Martian is actually Matt Damon's character. I thought it was a beautiful film filled with great performances (from Chastain, Daniel, Ejiofor, Bean, even Sebastian Stan who I didn't recognize at first) with a first rate script and stunning photography. I loved every minute of it.

Don't overlook Michael Fassbender in Steve Jobs.

I hated the movie so, yes, I am overlooking Michael Fassbaender in STEVE JOBS. I like him but this isn't one of his best performances, IMHO. But I'm sure he'll get nominated. Although I've yet to meet an Oscar voter who liked the film. He should have been nominated for SHAME.

The real reason they did that: The Globes are a star-f*cking joke. Always have been, always will be.

The show is good now because the hosts know that. Go, Ricky Gervais!

No, The Martian producers asked to be included in Comedy/Musical category figuring the competition was lighter. They were right. Can't blame everything on the silly Hollywood Foreign Press.

I hated the movie so, yes, I am overlooking Michael Fassbaender in STEVE JOBS. I like him but this isn't one of his best performances, IMHO. But I'm sure he'll get nominated. Although I've yet to meet an Oscar voter who liked the film. He should have been nominated for SHAME.

The IMHO did not go unnoticed! I thought his performance was spot on and I even liked the movie....a lot. Said at the end that the writer should get the academy award. Then saw it was Aaron Sorkin....imho one of the best screenwriters in the business.

No, The Martian producers asked to be included in Comedy/Musical category figuring the competition was lighter. They were right. Can't blame everything on the silly Hollywood Foreign Press.

Yes, you can blame the silly Hollywood foreign press, which looked at the roster of heavyweight producers and said, "Cool! Comedy/musical it is!" Nobody held a gun to their head. They're just silly.

“For any of you who don’t know, the Golden Globes are just like the Oscars, but without all that esteem. The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton. A bit louder, a bit trashier, a bit drunker, and more easily bought. Allegedly. Nothing’s been proved.” -- Ricky Gervais

The IMHO did not go unnoticed! I thought his performance was spot on and I even liked the movie....a lot. Said at the end that the writer should get the academy award. Then saw it was Aaron Sorkin....imho one of the best screenwriters in the business.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets overlooked but even if it gets some nominations, I'd take any comers for a bet that says it will not win a single Oscar.

Yes, you can blame the silly Hollywood foreign press, which looked at the roster of heavyweight producers and said, "Cool! Comedy/musical it is!" Nobody held a gun to their head. They're just silly.

Perhaps but not nearly as silly as the Emmy people who insist that Orange is the New Black is a drama.

“For any of you who don’t know, the Golden Globes are just like the Oscars, but without all that esteem. The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton. A bit louder, a bit trashier, a bit drunker, and more easily bought. Allegedly. Nothing’s been proved.” -- Ricky Gervais

Love Ricky Gervais. Everyone thinks that but they all show up and act like the Globes are a big deal. So who's the fool? The Globes people or the Hollywood people (stars, producers)? The answer is obvious. The jokes on Hollywood not the Globes. Those ridiculous foreigners get the stars to suck up once per year and get everything they want out of it while the stars act like the Globes mean anything. Good for the funny foreigners!

• 2 years later...

Matt Damon is moving his family to Australia — in part because the liberal star’s fed up with President Trump.

Damon, 47, reportedly has purchased a property in Byron Bay, New South Wales, according to Sydney’s Sunday Telegraph. The home’s next door to a place owned by Chris Hemsworth — with whom Damon recently appeared in “Thor: Ragnarok.”

A source exclusively tells Page Six: “Matt’s telling friends and colleagues in Hollywood that he’s moving the family to Australia” because the activist actor disagrees with Trump’s policies. The president’s frequently butted heads with liberal Hollywood A-listers including Meryl Streep. The source added, “Matt’s saying the move will not impact his work — as he will travel to wherever his projects are shooting. He’s also telling friends he wants to have a safe place to raise his kids.” Damon has four children with wife Luciana Barroso.

Perhaps Damon’s also allowing some of the controversy to die down after he had topublicly apologize for insensitive comments he made about the wave of sexual assault allegations shaking Hollywood. He said on an ABC movie show that the #MeToo allegations should be judged on a “spectrum of behavior.” But he then told NBC’s “Today” of the remark, “I really wish I’d listened a lot more before I weighed in on this. Ultimately, what it is for me is that I don’t want to further anybody’s pain with anything that I do or say. And so for that I’m really sorry.” Damon and best bud Ben Affleck‘s production company this week said it would adopt “inclusion riders” in stars’ contracts, after Frances McDormand spurred the trend from the stage at the Oscars.

Either way, it looks like Damon’s cleared his schedule for the big move Down Under: He’s producing a film version of Agatha Christie’s “Witness for the Prosecution” for Affleck, 45, to star in — but besides a cameo in the upcoming “Ocean’s 8” that’s wrapped, Damon has no major projects lined up as an actor.

His last film, “Downsizing,” was a critical and financial disappointment.

... looks like Damon’s cleared his schedule for the big move Down Under: He’s producing a film version of Agatha Christie’s “Witness for the Prosecution” for [ben] Affleck, 45, to star in — but besides a cameo in the upcoming “Ocean’s 8” that’s wrapped, Damon has no major projects lined up as an actor...

First I've heard about the remake of "Witness for the Prosecution." My money is on the Damon family move to Australia being the more successful of those two ventures because there is no way the film (with Ben Affleck ... jeesh!) can touch the great 1957 version (directed by Billy Wilder, starring Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power and a superb supporting cast).

Matt Damon is moving his family to Australia — in part because the liberal star’s fed up with President Trump.

Or maybe not ...

(AP) LOS ANGELES, March 17 — A publicist for Matt Damon is batting down reports that the actor is moving to Australia with his family. Damon spokeswoman Jennifer Allen said Damon has been to Australia a lot recently. But Damon has not bought a home there, nor is he relocating there, she said. The New York Post's Page Six gossip site, citing an unnamed source, said the "Good Will Hunting" and "Jason Bourne" star told friends and colleagues he wanted to leave the country because he disagrees with Trump's policies.

When asked about Damon's rumored motivation, Allen wrote in an email, "He's not moving out of the U.S."